NT EXES ASSOCIATION SUGGESTIONS REQUEST

I signed up last year at an NT Exes booth at Arbor Days in Euless.  The guy I talked to was an officer in the Tarrant County Chapter and said they had lots of plans for outings including a day at the Race Track in Grand Prairie.  As far as I know, none of these plans came to pass.  I know the Tarrant chapter used to have monthly meetings at different restaurants/bars in the area, but apparently those have completely stopped.  I never could attend because they were always on the weeknight that I work.  I did go to the NO Bowl watching party in 2002 in Grapevine and had a good time, but I was surprised at the light turnout.  They are still doing the sign over whatever fee that was in return for first year membership.  Had a table in the bookstore through today for May grads who were ordering their announcements, caps and gowns, etc.  I would love to be more involved, but have not heard from anyone regarding  upcoming activities.

The Arbor Days booth was partly my brain child, along with ScreamingEagleFan.

We were really trying to make a push for membership, but two days of rain cancelled the event.

Back then each chapter was sort of it's own entity, so we had big plans for events, ie.

Lone Star Park

Cats Game

Rangers Game

A Golf Tourney that was totally set up and I almost pullled the trigger on

We even floated the idea of chartering a party bus from FW to Denton for home games, etc.

But then the Exes changed how they did things and all the plans fell apart.

I am sorry if you felt mislead, we really had every intention to follow through, but circumstances beyond our control dictated otherwise.

I think we can still turn this thing around, and make the Exes what it should be.

Don't get too discouraged yet, there are several people involved locally that are really passionate about making it into something more than just a sticker and a smile.

Go Mean Green

But then the Exes changed how they did things and all the plans fell apart. 

Huh? can you elaborate some more on that? I'm a member of the tarrant county exes and I would love to do some of the things you mentioned there. Cats games and rangers games are great ideas.

I believe what cowtown is referring to are the individual chapter's accounts. From what I have heard, each chapter used to have their own account for promotions - but these accounts have been consolidated now and you have to get approval from the main office in Denton to throw a party/event. There have been a few people that have gotten the "go-ahead" to throw an event and have been told that they would be paid back - the refunding process is very flawed - let's just put it that way. So now you have chapter presidents that don't want to throw any functions because they might get stuck with the bill. I am sure that there is a valid reason for taking the funds out of the individual chapters' hands. Like a fraternity, funds can be "allocated" incorrectly and used for things that hold liability to them. I understand all about that (I was the VP of my fraternity)... there is also the threat of theft.

Now Rick asked for a solution for every problem - What I would do is have a two signature account. I would reward the chapters with a percentage of the membership fees. Say they bring in 10 new members at $50 each - that is $500 bucks.... allocate $100 of that to go back into the chapter for recruiting and retention. It is just as important to retain members as it is to recruit members. All of the people that get hired seem to be geared towards RECUITING - I think we need to concentrate on both recruiting and retention. The only was you can do that is by spending some of that money that you take in as dues.

We are getting more and more friendly faces on the Exes Council. I am friends with 4 of them, one is departing but I believe he will be replaced by another friendly face. Here is my question - like any large group - should the board be the representative body for the membership? And if so - why are the members not involved in electing new members to the board? Why aren't the members allowed to vote on issues dealing with the direction to take the Exes? I think that would be a positive move forward.

These are just suggestions - I realize that they are not all good ones, just a couple of ideas to bounce around. I think our alumni asssociation could be something really special but while we have over 100,000 alumni in the DFW area alone, we are sitting at about 3500 members for the Exes... something needs to be changed, right? I am not a member for this year, if I see some changes then I will support the organization again and happily come back. I just want to see some changes (as do many others)... so I hope whoever is reading this and is associated with making the decisions will keep an open mind to all of the posts in this thread. I am sure that some good ideas can come of these suggestions. I would strongly urge you to have a newsletter - both online and through the mail... and to work actively with the athletic department. The two entities could really help each other out.

Sarah Heiser publishes an on line news letter. She is marketing director and always looking for new material. Contact sheiser@unt.edu Although far from where we want to be our membership will number 5,000 at the end of this semester not 3,500 again, just giving the facts. Also we sponsor at least 2 tables at all athletic banquets, have a presence at at least 70% of all FB road games, paid $20K toward the green seats in the coliseum, offered our logo to the athletic dept. and the school who both promptly turned it down-- there is no grounds whatsoever to say we don't work with athletics. One of our biggest problems is getting faculty and coaches to join us. A majority of our board are upper level members of MGC, but only Coach Bell is a member from athletics. Our bylaws state you can join as a friend of NT and don't have to be an alum. Apparently not many who work at NT are supportive of NT.

Sarah Heiser publishes an on line news letter. She is marketing director and always looking for new material. Contact sheiser@unt.edu  Although far from where we want to be our membership will number 5,000 at the end of this semester not 3,500 again, just giving the facts. Also we sponsor at least 2 tables at all athletic banquets, have a presence at at least 70% of all FB road games, paid $20K toward the green seats in the coliseum, offered our logo to the athletic dept. and the school who both promptly turned it down-- there is no grounds whatsoever to say we don't work with athletics. One of our biggest problems is getting faculty and coaches to join us. A majority of our board are upper level members of MGC, but only Coach Bell is a member from athletics. Our bylaws state you can join as a friend of NT and don't have to be an alum. Apparently not many who work at NT are supportive of NT.

Well, I guess the commercial they play during the radio games should be changed to indicate the new number. As far as the online newsletter - that should probably be advertised because this is the first I have heard of it and I like to consider myself pretty well informed. If I have never heard of it then I doubt Joe Blow has heard of it. I guess none of the other comments were worth addressing so I am going to assume that I was right on all the other points. It is a pity that we can't talk about ways to make a very weak organization better rather then defending its current state. This whole thread just goes to show that even two people that are friends and see eye to eye on most things concerning NT don't have the same information because of the poor communication. The best news sources I get from North Texas are the North Texas Daily (free), the North Texan (free), and the Dr Pohl Insider (again - FREE)... From the organizations that are paid for with dues - the Mean Green Club offers quarterly meetings and an AD that will respond to e-mails.... Harry runs a website that has a premium service that offers great information on sports... and the Exes ask you to give them $50 a year and then you don't hear from them again until they want next year's $50 bucks (occasionally they will throw a party up in Denton that I hear about less then 24 hours before it happens)... All the Exes would have to do is just post the info on this message board and it would be at least an attempt to communicate with the active alumni. A printed newsletter like every other Alumni Association from a Division I Univeristy should be a given, not something that someone has to beg for.

I know the Tarrant chapter used to have monthly meetings at different restaurants/bars in the area, but apparently those have completely stopped.  I never could attend because they were always on the weeknight that I work.

Do you think you could go to a weekend meeting?

The reason I ask is because generally the concensus was that weekend meetings would be tough for attendance, but as far as I know it hasn't been tried.

Do you think you could go to a weekend meeting?

The reason I ask is because generally the concensus was that weekend meetings would be tough for attendance, but as far as I know it hasn't been tried.

I think weekend meetings would be better. Just my opinion - I'd be able to make a weekend meeting more often than a weekday meeting.

Big correction here -There is no plasma tv in the Alumni Center That is totally false ! The big screen tv there was bought at cost from a dealer/alum at more than $1K less than retail. We also had a promise of donated funds for it from Belo, but when DMN circulation dipped they renigged. As for no one seeing it, there are pre and post game receptions at the Alumni Center as well as watching parties. If you choose not to come by then that's your choice. It seems many here are whinning and are part of the problem rather than taking the initiative to get involved. If $40. breaks your budget then your problems are much bigger than exes membership.

As for the comments by GGII, he was given literally thousands of leads plus a substantial fee for seed $ for this fiasco. His product was a publication not a web based product and would have been obsolete the day it was published with little ability to update. The advertising rates were astronomical. I would not mention this except GGII opened the door with his derogatory comments. Check his giving record with MGC or the Exes and you'll see that there's no great loss of funds in any of the many times he chooses to pull his monetary support. Sorry Rick but you were the one that opened the door, and GMG.com might as well have the truth.

Jim, I would not open a door putting the blame on me. Ask David Layton why he refused to let me put up signs at NT Exes functions. Rather, he turned his back on this project. High ad rates, you say. Well, the leads furnished to me were people who said they'd get back with me. Jordan Case, as I said, thought it was the best advertising deal he'd seen in a while. Sure, a mom & pop outfit couldn't and wouldn't be expected to buy an ad. Questcorp has published full color corporate custom magazines for companys nationwide. I was embarrased with the whole thing, and would never think of doing anything like this for the Exes. Period. So, have your say, and while you're at it, don't make me mention your comments about your alma mater after Texas beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl.