Charter Spectrum vs Disney battle might spell the end of linear TV as we know it (or not)

I'm sure you're all aware ESPN wasn't available on the 2nd largest cable provider this weekend. These disputes have happened before, but both sides say this time it's more than just carriage rights fees. Charter Spectrum wants to include all the Disney streaming services - Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu as part of its packages. Disney is saying no way. 

Disney is using this as a chance to push Hulu+Live TV as an alternative to cable. CEO Bob Iger has been prepping a full ESPN streaming service that will almost certainly be cheaper than cable TV with ESPN. He has also talked with increasing frequency of Disney selling their old cable TV assets - ABC and FX - as they are quickly turning into something similar to landline telephones. 

This is all against a backdrop of viewers watching streaming services nearly 2 to 1 over cable. Live sports like ESPN are the last reason people have for keeping cable TV. If (when) Disney starts the ESPN streaming service, expect a flood of cable cutting that could eventually make many old-style cable systems unsustainable. 

Or, Charter Spectrum could raise everyone's rates $8/month for basic and proportionately more for the upper tiers and pay Disney enough to hold off a little longer. 

In any case, everyone should get ready to watch your sports on streaming platforms because a some point it IS going to be the only option. 

13 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I haven't had any sort of cable for 7 years now, just streaming. 

I consider Fubo/Hulu Live/Youtube to all be cable even if they're not classically considered that. I only keep Fubo on for 6 months out of the year for college football. No other reason to have it IMO. My plain jane Roku TV gets all the live news channels I need. 

I have Prime anyway and HBO/MAX because of ATT fiber. On Prime, I added one Primeium network without commercials (Paramount Plus) and basic Apple TV on my ROKU. Most of the time, I screencast to my TV through the ROKU for sports. Occasionally, I will do an ala cart on my ROKU for a month.

• Upvote 1