RV vs Smatresk

Dr. Seuss

In that scenario you are either hiring a coach and not telling him he will have a new AD soon or you are telling him. Either way it is likely to scare of candidates. An AD that didn't hire you is more likely to fire you...

This is true but lets go back to my business example... He has the Chairman's approval, that means more than the CEO's

• Upvote 2

Withers is not the same as the other hires mentioned. (Hauck & Mac)

He does have Texas ties with 3 years at UT.

He has won at both the FBS and FCS levels.

He coached 7 years in the NFL, which gives him a lot of street cred with potential recruits and current players.

When he tries to recruit some really good DBs they are going to listen to what he has to say.

• Upvote 2

He coached 7 years in the NFL, which gives him a lot of street cred with potential recruits and current players.

When he tries to recruit some really good DBs they are going to listen to what he has to say.

People need to stop saying this about him.   Those connections were 15+ years ago.

Can you imagine saying you have MS Office experience when you haven't used it since the 97 or 2000 versions?

He was at Texas from 98-00.....

Yes, I will agree with you that hes won at both levels.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, you just don't get the hype from the fan base that you would get from the other guys being mentioned.

My point is that this goes back to RV... He said he wants this and that but then and goes hire someone completely different.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

The problem with firing the AD at this precise moment is you risk hosing the football coach search.  While we can point to instances where it has been successfully done, you make it way more difficult a process and potentially scare off some good candidates.

I would not be shocked if RV retires towards the end of the athletic year.

Candidates will be scared off by the prospect of working for RV. Of having donors and fans walk away because RV is still AD. Of counting on RV to do something he has never done, fill Apogee. Of having to coach the games that RV schedules.

RV is a liability.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He was at Texas from 98-00.....

Yes, I will agree with you that hes won at both levels.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, you just don't get the hype from the fan base that you would get from the other guys being mentioned.

My point is that this goes back to RV... He said he wants this and that but then and goes hire someone completely different.

He was at Texas from 1998-2000.  They had cars, airplanes, and TVs back then.  Most people even had phones and computers.

It's a moot point anyway because some P5 is going to snatch him up in short order.