UNT football coach

wardly

I don't see our women's soccer coach making up excuses on how hard it is to recruit talented players to North Texas. He instead developed the program into a consistent winner and built its solid reputation as North Texas=Attractive soccer destination in Texas. 

Coach Hedlund has his men's program pulled from him like a thief in the night. I know, I was in the room when he announced we weren't gonna play the 1994 season. What did he do? He stayed on and built a quality women's program from scratch. That is a coach who sees opportunities not excuses. We need a guy like that!!!!

• Upvote 5

I look at the job of UNT head football coach as a career killer. We have fired our last 8 hires. Granted that there are only 128 D1 positions available, but with our coaching track record and inheriting the worst program in D1 football who would want the job?

Maybe someone from the FCS level. Even the best coaches at that level would double their salary moving here, there's a potential for a quick extension and you only have to beat half of the bottom quarter of D1 teams. There are plenty of reasons.

It's tough to recruit kids to North Texas if you keep telling yourself that it is tough to recruit kids to North Texas.

And why do the people in charge of hiring a coach here at North Texas keep hiring coaches who say such things? Don't they think to ask any candidate a simple question like....

"Coach, what do you think of statements like "It's hard to recruit outstanding players to come and play football at North Texas".  And then, depending on his answer, your follow up question would be "how do you plan to address this issue with the alumni/fans, and then how do you plan to address this perception with potential signees and their parents"?

• Upvote 1