SOW in front of new stadium lettering

EagleGreen

I posted yesterday that I couldn't read the new stadium lettering from I35 E, going south. Today, I drove I35 W, going both north and south and could plainly see the lettering and NEW SOW being installed to the left, or right before the lettering. The SOW is pretty big and very cool. Drive by on 35W if you get a chance; it looks great.

I suppose the problem with the view from 35E is that the angle is bad and the lettering is just to close together to really decipher what is "printed". It does look great from 35W, as you have a straight on view.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I posted yesterday that I couldn't read the new stadium lettering from I35 E, going south. Today, I drove I35 W, going both north and south and could plainly see the lettering and NEW SOW being installed to the left, or right before the lettering. The SOW is pretty big and very cool. Drive by on 35W if you get a chance; it looks great.

I suppose the problem with the view from 35E is that the angle is bad and the lettering is just to close together to really decipher what is "printed". It does look great from 35W, as you have a straight on view.

This thread is pointless without pictures.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I appreciate the update.

Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

Here ya go...just taken today btw. I just needed to save it.

signage.jpg

I love it. I think it really looks nice, but anyone who has been by the stadium knows there is a large blank area to the right of the windows. Why not put it there? Do they have other plans for that area?

I too like it and the graphic designer folks will tell you that it is the right size for the space it incorporates.

I love it. I think it really looks nice, but anyone who has been by the stadium knows there is a large blank area to the right of the windows. Why not put it there? Do they have other plans for that area?

I'd guess it's reserved for whoever pays for he naming rights....

I'd guess it's reserved for whoever pays for he naming rights....

No, thats where they are going to post all of our conference championships, bowl wins and eventual National Championship :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

I like how GMG.com has expanded their repertoire from couch-coaching to including couch-graphic designers. This is awesome!

BTW, I don't believe that lettering was primarily meant for highway reading. There will be another billboard/signage closer to the road, no?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I like how GMG.com has expanded their repertoire from couch-coaching to including couch-graphic designers. This is awesome!

BTW, I don't believe that lettering was primarily meant for highway reading. There will be another billboard/signage closer to the road, no?

Good question. One would think so.

I wouldn't have minded the letting being a little bigger, but in all honestly, shouldn't most people driving by know whose stadium it is? There is the old radisson sign by the highway, probably another sign yet to be constructed by the highway, the huge letters on the side of the Murchison performing arts center...

With the angle from 35E, I think it would be difficult to make it clearly readable without making it look weird when looking at it straight on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

According to the press release sent out by XOS Digital (the company that is responsible for installing the content management system, (includes scoreboard control), / broadcast control room), there will be a Marquee sign facing I-35. Here is a link to the press release and the quote is in the first paragraph: http://xosdigital.com/Portals/0/XOS/Docs/NewsReleases/6.16.11%20-%20XOS%20Digital,%20UNT%20to%20Embark%20on%20Collegiate%20Broadcast%20Control%20Trend.pdf

• Upvote 4

Did we have slow mo capability in fouts? I didn't think so. Just reading the PDF from XOS. High def will be awesome too.

duh. of course the lettering is meant for highway reading, just like the performing arts lettering is. name an interior campus building with large lettering for street viewing only?

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal with the planned road-side marquee. The Murchison PAC has the benefit of being much closer to the highway, and does not have the luxury of any additional signage.

IMO I think the lettering just lends itself to the grandeur of these amazing buildings, in addition to the experience of walking up to/into the venue. It's also a name the media cameras can pan across as the broadcast team does their pre-game, in addition to any EA/NCAA games that want to re-create the experience virtually.

duh. of course the lettering is meant for highway reading, just like the performing arts lettering is. name an interior campus building with large lettering for street viewing only?

I wonder how big the letters are compared to signage companies put on high rise buildings.

NT80

Posted (edited)

I wonder how big the letters are compared to signage companies put on high rise buildings.

Signage on stadiums seems to vary. I'm sure being close to a major Interstate highway serves UNT well for advertising. The school should certainly take advantage of it with plentiful, large, and easy to read signage.

Some other college stadium signage examples from gaudy to subdued to classic:

http://api.ning.com/files/7G*kag3TOePi*ovK8vXXB-IlRmsdE9F7lG4IoPrVRSk_/AutzenStadium.jpg

125px-Bright_House_exterior_on_opening_d

http://photos.uptakeinc.com/photo/4/83/19/tn-Rosebowl.JPG

91967895_display_image.jpg?1282705816

populous_1.jpg

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The new SOW is complete and looks good. I drove by on I35 W (Northbound) and at one moment in time, the SOW lines up perfectly with the wingzone and...BAM!...that damned thing looks nice. Good stuff.

If you follow trends of newer stadiums in those above pictures (ie Bright House at UCF and TCF Bank at Minnesota) stadium name seems to be smaller and less prominent as to not take away from the architecture.

• Upvote 2

I just signed up for this board last month, since my son will be going to school there this fall, and have really enjoyed the content and insight on the football program. There definitely is a lot of excitement there in Denton. But, I have to get caught up on the lingo . . . What does SOW stand for? I hear you all say this often. Also, any other acronyms, sayings, I need to be made aware of? If so, help a rookie out. Thanks.

• Upvote 4