North Texas Football 2013 Beat Idaho Highlight

ColoradoEagle

Really liked the intro to this, although it inexplicably has no Idaho film in it. Outside of that, I think they're finally on the right path on how to make good videos (no more Superman/Iron Man trailer voiceovers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4H1_O_O5Y

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Their shot editing is getting better, but that's about it.

"But Chris, you're being so negative!"

Yes, but it's only 'cause the world of proper hype/advance/highlight videos are a decade ahead of where NTVideo is.

Reasoning:

• Intro/Outro graphics: Shoddy, poor 3D maneuvering, horrible -and I mean despicable- typeface choices.
  • Letterboxing: "Oh hey! We know what aspect ratio they use in feature films!" Great. But don't use it here. Why? Because all the shots you're putting into this letterboxed format were framed in 16:9. Slapping the black bars on top of that framing makes it look like you don't know how to establish a shot correctly, the principle "rules of thirds" are thrown out the window, and it simply looks busch league.
  • Sun Belt footage: You do yourself no favors when establishing the shot of the C-USA logo to then cut to a variety of highlights from last year, degrading the establishment of our new found conference.
  • Idaho footage: There was more than enough highlights from Saturday to use for this. the only thing I can figure here is that someone didn't want the throwbacks unis as the setting visual for a video that will likely see many potential recruits' eyes. Nevertheless, using the Idaho footage juxtaposed with the contextually relevant Joe Greene voiceover would have made more sense.
  • Still using poorly lit footage or footage at too slow a frame rate for slow-mo: Does nobody in this dept. know about gain, aperture, gamma, frame rates, shutter speeds, and recording formats??

The only positives I can take from this is their use and editing of audio is getting better and the storytelling is lightyears ahead from the appropriation of movie trailer voiceovers. The Joe Greene storyboarding is a blessing here.

For an example of this sort of thing done rather well by non-paid amateurs, I point you to the following:

-----

Finally, cameras with fixed lenses are for archiving, "coach's footage" type stuff:

01_hpx_170_evolution_brockett.jpg

HDSLRs, interchangeable lens camcorders and the like where you can really play with depth of field and proper lighting techniques are better tools for the type of productions NT Football has been after as of late:

header.jpg

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2