Mitchell keeps faith in basketball skills

Harry

CHICAGO As it turned out, Tony Mitchells college detour didnt cause irreparable harm to his future.

The former Mizzou recruit, who never was able to gain entrance, is projected as a first-round pick in next months NBA draft and said after his workout at the pre-draft combine that hes hoping to go as high as No. 20.

Two seasons at North Texas were far from perfect, but the 6-foot-8 power forward doesnt feel he missed a beat by not playing for a major program.

Not at all, he said. I just kept faith and the Lord just kept blessing me. Ive got an opportunity to do something amazing for my family and Im going to keep working at it.

Mitchell otherwise avoided commenting on how a questionable academic record led to him being declared ineligible by the NCAA out of high school. He went on to enroll at North Texas and averaged 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds his first season before dropping to 13.0 and 8.5.

The Mean Green stumbled last season, posting a 12-20 record that frustrated Mitchell. He admitted to displaying terrible body language throughout the season and suspects teams are watching him closely.

They want to know am I going to give it my all every possession, he said. This season I was going up and down, cruising. These guys are looking at my effort and how hard I really work.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mitchell-keeps-faith-in-basketball-skills/article_b24d10a4-ae80-5cc3-bd3b-455ab2c361ae.html

And so he should. His basketball skills have never been doubted, nor should they be..this kid has all the ability and skills to have a successful pro career. I believe the questions he has faced have not been about demonstrated weaknesses in his skill set.

Did everyone see the video of his vertical jump? Enough said about ability and skill.

• Upvote 1