Vertrail Vaughns’s Painful Past Has Fueled Success

Harry

Redshirt freshman Vertrail Vaughns has been through a lot of hardships in his young life. When he was 13 years old, Vaughns was chased by a Rottweiler. In his escape, he attempted to jump on a car to elude the dog and smashed through the cars windshield, badly injuring his face.

Thats where all these scars on my face come from, said Vaughns.

The event in his life was just one of a few bad incidents that Vaughns has been through. From being hit by a car at the age of seven to undergoing wrist surgery last season, Vaughns knows pain. Coming off a freshman year in which he medically redshirted, Vaughns was hungry to get back on the court.

Struggles are an understatement for what Vaughns has been through in his young life. The scars are the reminders of the tragedy that he underwent when he was 13.

It was painful, Vaughns said with a laugh.

Regarding his recent surgery, he was in a cast for three weeks and was unable to move his hand at all during that time. When he got the cast off, he started rehabbing it by stretching it out and eventually regained all motion in his wrist. It wasnt until two weeks after he regained motion that Vaughns shot a basketball.

Vaughns sure hasnt had any setbacks from the injury.

This year he has been a catalyst off the bench, shooting an impressive 51.7 percent of threes with 4.7 points per game. The numbers dont jump off the page, but Vaughns has really shown his worth this year. Against Virginia Commonwealth University two weeks ago, he scored 12 points in 11 minutes of play, shooting four of five from 3-point range.

My dad and my stepdad were shooters so we would go to the gym everyday and just shoot 2,000 to 3,000 shots, said Vaughns. They taught me to shoot with a high arc and have a funny spin on my ball.

Read more: http://broadsideonline.com/2011/03/07/vertrail-vaughnss-painful-past-has-fueled-success-3063/

Redshirt freshman Vertrail Vaughns has been through a lot of hardships in his young life. When he was 13 years old, Vaughns was chased by a Rottweiler. In his escape, he attempted to jump on a car to elude the dog and smashed through the cars windshield, badly injuring his face.

Thats where all these scars on my face come from, said Vaughns.

The event in his life was just one of a few bad incidents that Vaughns has been through. From being hit by a car at the age of seven to undergoing wrist surgery last season, Vaughns knows pain. Coming off a freshman year in which he medically redshirted, Vaughns was hungry to get back on the court.

Struggles are an understatement for what Vaughns has been through in his young life. The scars are the reminders of the tragedy that he underwent when he was 13.

It was painful, Vaughns said with a laugh.

Regarding his recent surgery, he was in a cast for three weeks and was unable to move his hand at all during that time. When he got the cast off, he started rehabbing it by stretching it out and eventually regained all motion in his wrist. It wasnt until two weeks after he regained motion that Vaughns shot a basketball.

Vaughns sure hasnt had any setbacks from the injury.

This year he has been a catalyst off the bench, shooting an impressive 51.7 percent of threes with 4.7 points per game. The numbers dont jump off the page, but Vaughns has really shown his worth this year. Against Virginia Commonwealth University two weeks ago, he scored 12 points in 11 minutes of play, shooting four of five from 3-point range.

My dad and my stepdad were shooters so we would go to the gym everyday and just shoot 2,000 to 3,000 shots, said Vaughns. They taught me to shoot with a high arc and have a funny spin on my ball.

Read more: http://broadsideonline.com/2011/03/07/vertrail-vaughnss-painful-past-has-fueled-success-3063/

Oh no. This sounds familiar:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/other-colleges/20101004-Pooch-problems-UNT-receiver-injured-4897.ece

Maryland has also visited w/ Rutgers top scorer last season , guard Eli Carter

If Carter goes with the Terps , I'd say our chances are very good w/ Vaughns

Carter picked Florida over Maryland last night, could play a role in Vaughns decision. Makes the Terps more attractive

Carter is seeking waiver to play immediately

Edited by NT03