My UNT FB Preview by Position: OL

cl_1_2008

Tackle: Tackle is the most questionable of the positions along the line. While we have a very talented, all-conference candidate on one side, we have a complete question mark on the other. Tomlinson will get the job done, no questions asked. He is our second best lineman, behind Johnson, and he runs a very close race with him. Tomlinson has great feet and is very strong, but I hear he has a questionable work ethic. That doesn't effect his on-field performance, but his potential is sky-high if he works hard. if he put the work in, he could potentially get drafted. However, on the other side at left tackle, we have what is, by far the biggest question mark on the offense. Unfortunately, this is also one of the most important positions on offense. Don't believe me? Just go look up the player salaries in the NFL. Other than QB, you may not find a higher paid position. Our left tackle as of now is Antonio Johnson. He has unlimited potential because he is very athletic for his size(6'5, 285), but he's not very strong. I think him and Ayodele Adepipe will compete for the starting job, even though they both have huge holes in their game. Left tackle is the only position on the entire offense that I don't feel good about. As for everyone else on the depth chart, again, I can't comment, because I haven't seen them play.

Starter Position Rating: 6.5/10

Backup Position Rating: 5/10

Overall Position Rating: 6/10

Starter: Antonio Johnson

Starter: Matt Tomlinson

2: Ayodele Adepipe

2: Grant Shaw

Guard: At guard, we have Aaron Fortenberry and Mason Y'Barbo. These are 2 of the 4 guys I feel comfortable with on the offensive line, along with Johnson and Tomlinson. Fortenberry is taller but they are both very similar in that they are both pretty big, strong guys that will do a fine job paving holes for Dunbar, and protecting for Thompson. As for the backups, Feeley has experience as a starter, so I would feel comfortable with him in the lineup because he is another big body who can move people. As for the rest, they are freshmen, so I know nothing. However, they are very large, and that is one of the improvements McCarney has made over the previous staff; recruiting larger football players.

Starter: Aaron Fortenberry

Starter: Mason Y'Barbo

2: Coleman Feeley

2: Cyril Lemon/ Travis Ellard

Starter Position Rating: 8/10

Backup Position Rating: 7/10

Overall Position Rating: 7.5/10

Center: At center, we have one of our most experienced and best linemen. JJ missed all of last year, save for a few snaps at Clemson. However, he's been in the offense for 4 years, and knows the playbook in and out. He's a technician. He's our smallest O-lineman, but his knowledge of the game makes up for that, and then some. He's the guy that I trust the most on the entire offensive line. We're in good shape with him starting. Technically, our backup is Nic Summerfield. However, if JJ gets hurt, I expect Fortenberry or Y'Barbo to shift to the center position, because we are much deeper at guard than we are at center. I don't expect Summerfield to play a snap under any circumstance, so I'm going to base my backup rating on Y'Barbo and Fortenberry.

Starter: JJ Johnson

2: Nic Summerfield

Starter Position Rating: 8.5/10

Backup Position Rating: 7.75/10

Overall Position Rating: 8.25/10

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I think we will see a very good Offensive Lineman over the next four years in Mason Y'Barbo....He is a tough guy and a real BULLDOG! Probably the only reason he is here and not at a BCS school is his height of 6'2". Good to see he gained 24 lbs from last year's roster weight and is up to 312.

• Upvote 1

Antonio Johnson is the fastest, most athletic lineman on this year's squad. If I were a quarterback, I'd rather have him protecting my flank. He has a tackle's body with quick feet. If strength or technique is a problem then I'd leave that in Frank Wintrich and Mike Simmonds capable hands.

I've seen several reports that Ellard will be moved to center. I had hoped that Y'Barbo would be moved there but with Feldt coming in I won't worry about that position other than depth for the future. I think that Ellard could make a capable backup in time.

I don't worry as much about the offensive line because of their coach, Mike Simmonds. He is an outstanding addition to the coaching staff.

Antonio Johnson is the fastest, most athletic lineman on this year's squad. If I were a quarterback, I'd rather have him protecting my flank. He has a tackle's body with quick feet. If strength or technique is a problem then I'd leave that in Frank Wintrich and Mike Simmonds capable hands.

I've seen several reports that Ellard will be moved to center. I had hoped that Y'Barbo would be moved there but with Feldt coming in I won't worry about that position other than depth for the future. I think that Ellard could make a capable backup in time.

I don't worry as much about the offensive line because of their coach, Mike Simmonds. He is an outstanding addition to the coaching staff.

And a real hero in his own right:

My link

Tackle: Tackle is the most questionable of the positions along the line. While we have a very talented, all-conference candidate on one side, we have a complete question mark on the other. Tomlinson will get the job done, no questions asked. He is our second best lineman, behind Johnson, and he runs a very close race with him. Tomlinson has great feet and is very strong, but I hear he has a questionable work ethic. That doesn't effect his on-field performance, but his potential is sky-high if he works hard. if he put the work in, he could potentially get drafted. However, on the other side at left tackle, we have what is, by far the biggest question mark on the offense. Unfortunately, this is also one of the most important positions on offense. Don't believe me? Just go look up the player salaries in the NFL. Other than QB, you may not find a higher paid position. Our left tackle as of now is Antonio Johnson. He has unlimited potential because he is very athletic for his size(6'5, 285), but he's not very strong. I think him and Ayodele Adepipe will compete for the starting job, even though they both have huge holes in their game. Left tackle is the only position on the entire offense that I don't feel good about. As for everyone else on the depth chart, again, I can't comment, because I haven't seen them play.

Starter Position Rating: 6.5/10

Backup Position Rating: 5/10

Overall Position Rating: 6/10

Starter: Antonio Johnson

Starter: Matt Tomlinson

2: Ayodele Adepipe

2: Grant Shaw

Guard: At guard, we have Aaron Fortenberry and Mason Y'Barbo. These are 2 of the 4 guys I feel comfortable with on the offensive line, along with Johnson and Tomlinson. Fortenberry is taller but they are both very similar in that they are both pretty big, strong guys that will do a fine job paving holes for Dunbar, and protecting for Thompson. As for the backups, Feeley has experience as a starter, so I would feel comfortable with him in the lineup because he is another big body who can move people. As for the rest, they are freshmen, so I know nothing. However, they are very large, and that is one of the improvements McCarney has made over the previous staff; recruiting larger football players.

Starter: Aaron Fortenberry

Starter: Mason Y'Barbo

2: Coleman Feeley

2: Cyril Lemon/ Travis Ellard

Starter Position Rating: 8/10

Backup Position Rating: 7/10

Overall Position Rating: 7.5/10

Center: At center, we have one of our most experienced and best linemen. JJ missed all of last year, save for a few snaps at Clemson. However, he's been in the offense for 4 years, and knows the playbook in and out. He's a technician. He's our smallest O-lineman, but his knowledge of the game makes up for that, and then some. He's the guy that I trust the most on the entire offensive line. We're in good shape with him starting. Technically, our backup is Nic Summerfield. However, if JJ gets hurt, I expect Fortenberry or Y'Barbo to shift to the center position, because we are much deeper at guard than we are at center. I don't expect Summerfield to play a snap under any circumstance, so I'm going to base my backup rating on Y'Barbo and Fortenberry.

Starter: JJ Johnson

2: Nic Summerfield

Starter Position Rating: 8.5/10

Backup Position Rating: 7.75/10

Overall Position Rating: 8.25/10

This post has been promoted to an article

Staring 5 - Tomlinson - Feeley - Johnson - Y'Barbo - Fortenberry. Any of these 5 can play any of the O-line positions. This gives us the best experience, strength and quick feet.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...