San Diego State

NM Green

I went to the San Diego State vs UNLV game yesterday in the Thomas and Mack and it was probably one of the most fun inspiring games I have ever been to. The Rebels played their hearts out and the fact they made a comeback to take a 1 point lead with a couple of minutes left was something else. I had never heard the T&M so loud and the experience of was a blast. San Diego state also brought a large contingent of fans to the game, a short 5 hour drive for them. The experience watching the Lobos in the Pit a few years back.

Some observations:

SDSU is for real. They have a legitimate shot at making a deep run and possibly winning the title this year. They are huge and agile. They couldn't miss in the beginning and they just mow you down with their size and strength.

SDSU reminds me of UNT. Their fans have gotten crazy this year, selling out their usually empty arena the entire season. They traveled in force to Sin City, into the teeth of the enemy and chanted the whole game long. When UNT goes on a serious run in football or basketball and enters unchartered territory like SDSU is doing this year, the Mean Green train is going to be speeding down the track at rapid pace. OUR fans will support a winner and sellout the Superpit and our field when our team makes some serious national waves. I never would have thought SDSU could get a following like they have, but they were a dormant large university hungry and craving for something to cheer for. The Aztecs have arrived in basketball and with the new MWC I easily see SDSU and UNLV becoming monster hoops rivals. Throw Nevada entering the picture and their tragic obnoxious fans and all of a sudden UNLV has some really great rivalries to fill the BYU and Utah voids.

This leads me to our future conference affiliation. I really hope we get serious consideration for an invite to the MWC. I know our hoops are struggling right now, but lining up against some mean competition in the Pit, the coast, in Sin City, the mountains and the biggest little city in the world would be cool. Trips to Vegas, ABQ, Reno, San Diego and Fort Collins for basketball would be sweet and challenging. Trips to CO Springs, Fresno and Boise in football would be challenging.

It is just a really solid league that I hope we get a chance to grow our programs in down the line.

Now lets get these hoops back on track and make another run to the dance. We need to continue to show our worthiness, and a fresh dance appearance would continue to help us build our case.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would love to see us in the MWC, playing against those teams in basketball. And I think Steve Fisher has done a heck of a job with that program. What he's done in building them into a consistently powerful team is phenomenal.

But it's been 12 years, he has zero NCAA tournament wins and only 3 berths, he's never gotten an at-large bid, he has one year with 13 conference wins and no others with more than 11, his overall conference record is the definition of mediocre (85-84).

He'd never meet our lofty standards here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

That MWC basketball league is legit--and has been for a very long time. What the Aztecs are doing right now is phenomenal. UNLV really needed that game at home, but SDSU is too tough.

That league would be an awesome place for UNT, for both football and basketball. IMO, a much better place than CUSA, which is a much better place than the SBC.