"the Boise State Comparison"

bflan

I post rarely, but read quite a bit....and I've noticed something that has been written about time and time again, "The Boise State Comparison". If they can do it, why can't we?

Guys, Boise State caught lightning in a bottle. To their credit, the managed to carve out something out of nothing and made it look easy. A million little things probably went right for them to capture their success. And you know what? If it was so dang easy to do, every school like it would be doing the same thing...and getting the same results. They are not! (It's kinda like when you happened to impress that really hot chick out at the clubs one night, and you don't have a clue why she digs you so much. Things worked out for you that night. All the planets lined up if you know what I mean. But...you can't seem to find that magic the next time out at the bars. Bummer.)

I just have to shake my head when I read posters basically say "if they can do it, why can't we?" Good luck with that...it's not going to happen. That doesn't mean North Texas can't be something more, certainly, than what is was even at its very best. But for all the "Million little things" that went right for Boise....a million little things seem to be going wrong here.

I've often wondered, how did we get sooo bad, so fast? The answer: a million little things went wrong. So....who has to speak up for that? I have my thoughts, but that doesn't even matter.

North Texas needs a better plan for success, period!

About the time Boise was turning the corner, getting their city to finance and promote their program and getting on national TV with their own bowl game, Tulsa was working on a 1-11 season and South Florida's coaches were working out of trailer houses. Since that time, all three have risen to the next level from where they were. There's nothing wrong with using Boise as an example for us to shoot for. Why not? What have you got to lose? In the very least, I have seen more interest in NT from area businesses in regards to sponsorship than I have ever seen before. Even during this most outrageous season we will end up with around 15K for a season attendance average with the student fee increases our budget will surely help out in regards to better funding the program. There's no reason NT can't find that same lightning in a bottle down the road. Who knows, should it ever happen the sky is the limit if the promotional and sponsorship issues fall in line.

Rick

Too many other proven choices in Texas. Boise is the only deal, no comparison. Just like the University of Montana, over 22,000 legitimate fans at their home games.

UNT will never be a Boise, or an Applachian State for that matter.

UNT is stuck with the NMST's, Idaho's of D-1 until a new stadium is built and when the University truly ponies up to be a true D-1 University.

It sucks but true.

Edited by nautique

Too many other proven choices in Texas. Boise is the only deal, no comparison. Just like the University of Montana, over 22,000 legitimate fans at their home games.

UNT will never be a Boise, or an Applachian State for that matter.

UNT is stuck with the NMST's, Idaho's of D-1 until a new stadium is built and when the University truly ponies up to be a true D-1 University.

It sucks but true.

So few seem to remember who was one of the most talked about up and coming programs going into the 2003 season. Dave Campbell's remembers. In the same report about Mack Brown getting it done with so much, Darrell Dickey was discussed getting it done with so little, and what could be if the correct measures were taken. Money being one of them, which just got a huge boost back in October. Given the right choices made in the near future the sky is the limit with this program. I truly believe that.

Rick