New Orleans Coach Quits

Guest GrayEagleOne

That said, the baseball team just finished second in the regular season and won the tournament, advancing to the NCAA's for the first time since 2000. The program was in shambles before Katrina. We sure didn't have any players the caliber of McCalebb to rebuild that program with post-Katrina. We recruited all our best current players during and after the immediate aftyermath of the Hurricane. With hard work and DEDICATION (that one was for Buzz) it can be done.

People assuming there is more to the story need to quit assuming. The story here is that Buzz bailed on us. Period. He knew the issues when we hired him. He saw them first hand last year. If he wanted to leave I can't say I'd have blamed him. It ticks me off to no end that he waited until July 6th to leave. Oh by the way, the July recruiting period BEGINS on July 6th. It has been reported that he told a player the reason he waited is so that we'd be stuck and we'd be forced to hire his top assistant. That tells you all you need to know. The man was a snake and UNO and the Belt are better off with him in Milwaukee.

Not to take up for Williams because I didn't even know of him until a year ago, but I am greatly concerned about athletics at UNO.

You are in a 1-A conference and are required to have 14 sports. If your web site is correct, you have six. Another report says five. The swimming coach resigned in February and has not been replaced. Men's and women's tennis is temporarily? suspended (for the past two years). The volleyball coach resigned but, at least, was replaced. No one seems to want to stay very long and there must be a reason.

My concern for the program is genuine. The arena is apparently a year behind in construction. You have a lot of sports to reinstate soon. I've heard recently that $8 billion has been poured into the area by our federal government. Surely, educational institutions have a greater priority than homes. Are you on schedule to retrurn athletics to pre-Katrina normalcy?

I'm not sure when the moratoriam is up but I hope that you are ready when it is. Best of luck in your endeavors.

It's OK, UNO fans! You have a qualified coach coming home who WANTS to be there, limitations and all. Take comfort in the fact that Williams will be freezing his balls off in Milwaukee for a while. God, that's a TERRIBLE place to be at least four months of the year!