Gmg Bowl Iv

UNT_92_Fan

Stebo and myself were discussing how this game actually caught on and seems to be sticking around for a few years. This is getting big enough that we could actually raise some serious cash for this scholarship fund!

as far as shirts, What about some actualy football jerseys? Just a thought...I know the cost is more but with the current excitement behind MG Athletics and the number of new people...ALOT of people are possibly goign to be interested in playing!

You guys are already talking smack? This may be the earliest that has started...

The plan is to have the GMG Bowl around the same time frame as the Spring game. I have not yet talked to Coach Dodge as he is very busy, but I will get the specifics from him after the recruiting trail cools off a little. In the mean time, start thinking about your draft bios and I will have a tenative deadline in the works soon. As always, the committee will attempt to get as much donated as possible for this game. As for the jerseys, FFR may be the best point of contact for that. I have a source for T-shirts, but not jerseys.

More info to come. Dates and times will be announced as they become available.

GMG!!!

Thanks for the emails and suggestions. I agree that playing the game in Fouts would be nice, but the practice field where we played this game last year is now named the "Andrew Smith Practice Field". As we play this game to benefit a scholarship in his name, I think we should play on his field every year. I will talk to Coach Dodge about that when he gets some free time in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, let's remember this game is not just about football for us.

We play to honor a fallen hero. A kid that took us to a bowl game, won it, and if not for a Geroge Marshall dropped ball... may have been a blow-out. Drew was a great kid who would talk to anyone. He was the best of what NT football was for us, and he was a great ambassador for those who knew little about UNT. This is what I tell our sponsors who have given so willingly over the last few years. We use this game to help our athletes go to summer school. Last year we raised well over $800.00 on just one Saturday? It may not sound like much, but that was a great contribution to the Athletic Department in Drew's name. We were told as much when we took them the money.

There are lots of reasons for us to play this game every year. As traditions go, I'm very proud to be a part of this one. Thanks again Harry for the Board, and a place for all of us to get together and plan things like this game.

More game info to follow...

GMG!!!

Is there anyone out there willing to write up 3 separate, semi-unbiased (translation: Emmitt and Dearing are excluded from this), brief recaps of the first 3 games? And maybe try to figure out who was on what teams?

[i was Green Team in year one...Offensive Coordinator (Dickey, Jr....ShaneB was my "Diet Coke Boy") of whichever team won (white I think) in year 2....and green team last year. A member of all three winning teams and famous for being the only person ever to be penalized for "Dropping Trou".]

I wanna try to work up something to get the message out there about why we do this game...

Edited by JayDub

As unbiased as possible....

Year 1 - Year of the Reverse Draft. The opposing captain picked for the other team. GREAT Idea! The teams were pretty even excpet for age. It really did seem like it was the Seasoned Alumns (NOT OLD) vs the Students and New Alums. The first ever GMG.com Bowl was more of a who can get the drunkest and still play football. Med broke his collarbone, I threw my arm out pretty nice and Jaydub dropped his pants. UntAngel (Nico) won the MVP for being the lone girl to score. We were allowed one ringer per team that year and my team was graced with the presence of Andy Blount, former UNT TE. Good Game, Green Team won pretty big.

Year 2 - Teams seemed the most even this year. The game was played on what now is called traditions field right by Traditions Dorm. Jaydub this was the year you were Dickey right? Coach Dickey was out there roaming the sidelines with some of his palyers also. The game I don't remember much details. The White Team won, Big Will won MVP and a new fraternity was born that DAY.... FBU (Fat Boys Unite). This was the year Big Will took a hand off in a FLAG FOOTBALL game and trucked 95%of the defense in route to a touchdown. Also, the big man was traded to the White Squad before the game started. Makes ya think alittle bit about Hershall Walker huh?

Year 3 - My Favorite and Most Competitive game thus far for sure. Coach Dickey brought out his players again to coach the teams. This year the teams seemed heavier on one side but with the help of the players from the FB Team the Green team came up with an excellent offensive plan. The Green Team QB, Me, started the game with a wonderful DUCK of a throw that was picked off but shortly after that first horrible drive, the offense took shape and started rolling. Emmitt and Med led a good offensive plan also but got stuck throwing into a 20 mph wind the entire game. The game ended with Stebo, broken back and all, picking a pass off in the endzone to seal the victory. Post game consisted of Turkey Delights at RipRocks. I grew a NASTY beard for that game!!!!

Looking forward to the next one!

Year 2 - i got there late because of work....caught one pass....it happened to be one that was thrown up high in the middle, late in the game...i caught it and ran for the go ahead, eventual winning touchdown....i only caught it because i'm tall!!! great game...unfortunately, travel kept me out of last years game....I PLAN ON BEING THERE THIS YEAR!!!

So some ideas for random rules this year...

• Reverse Draft like GMG.com Bowl I
  • Last minute Pregame Trades
  • Beer Shotgunning contest for 3 extra points during halftime. Each team would choose a rep to meet at midfield and shotgun a beer...faster shotgunner wins 3 points for his team.

Those are just a few...LoRo came up with a really interesting idea to make extra money for the scholarship fund...but I'll let him share it if he wishes.

No ringers. We have done away with them the past 2 years, and it has worked out for the better. I know it would be cool to have Herschel Walker on your team, but lets keep it to just those on this board.

Seems like every year we have someone somebody that never posts that just HAS to be on a team. NOW is the time to post and become at least known by handle. When these people don't show up it makes things even worse.

Same amount of players on the field at the same time - no exceptions.

Edited by Zeke

Seems like every year we have someone somebody that never posts that just HAS to be on a team. NOW is the time to post and become at least known by handle. When these people don't show up it makes things even worse.

Agreed...if you want to play...you have to be a poster. This has failed us miserably in the past.