DRC..NT exhibits skills in preseason win

OldTimer

UNT exhibits skills in preseason win

11/16/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

Here?s a sign that expectations have increased for the North Texas men?s basketball team: Coach Johnny Jones wasn?t happy with a 117-74 rout of the Texas-Louisiana All-Stars.

Jones certainly wasn?t steamed after UNT ended the exhibition season with a blowout Friday night at the Super Pit. He made it clear, however, that the Mean Green has plenty of work to do before the season opener next week at Southwest Missouri State.

Of particular concern was UNT?s effort on the defensive end. The All-Stars made 11 of 33 3-pointers, including several that came off of wide-open looks.

"We?ve still got to get better on the defensive end," said Jones, who engineered an 11-win turnaround in his debut season a year ago. "We?ve got to be more focused and determined."

Jones even found reason to nitpick UNT?s performance on the offensive end, though the Mean Green shot 54 percent from the floor and had five players score in double figures.

"We pushed it, but I didn?t like the way we handled some of the break," Jones said. "We turned it over 19 times. That shouldn?t happen. ... But we got 22 assists. I liked that part."

There were several other good signs from the Mean Green, starting with the play of point guard Lee Green, who struggled down the stretch last season.

Green didn?t shoot the ball well (2-of-9 from the floor), but the led the team with eight assists and nine rebounds while committing only two turnovers.

"Right now, I?m focused on the little things," said Green, who will open the season as the starter. "If the points come, that?s a bonus. A point guard is supposed to lead the team."

The play of center Justin Barnett, a 6-10 redshirt freshman who sat out last season with a foot injury, was also encouraging. In 19 minutes, Barnett scored 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds.

"I?m not sure Justin is going to be able to get those numbers night in and night out," Jones said, "but I like his presence in there."

The Mean Green got big scoring nights out of its prolific pair of wings: senior Chris Davis and sophomore Leonard Hopkins. Davis, an honorable preseason All-America selection by the Associated Press, scored 22 points on 10-of-16 shooting in 22 minutes. Hopkins, who will start after being the Mean Green?s sixth man last season, added 19 points on 7-of-11 shooting in 19 minutes.

Forward Michael DeGrate (12 points) and center Unjel Masters (11) were the other UNT players to score in double figures.

UNT received a scare when forward Jermaine Green, the team?s second-leading scorer and rebounder last season, left the game in the first half with an ankle injury. X-rays on the ankle were negative.

"I?ll be ready Friday," the lanky forward said, referring to the season opener.

Jones intends to make sure the rest of the team is as well.

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572.