Gotta Share a Cool Moment

Harry

Great show, but probably the highlight of the night was the drummer for Steely Dan. Just an amazing talent that doesn't try to show-off but is so good that it is hard to take your eyes off of him.

Anyway, after a couple of songs when Walter Becker was introducing this amazing ensemble of musicians I've ever heard, he starts to introduce the drummer.

"Now we'd like to introduce a Cinderalla story, an awesome musician and great person who attended North Texas State University, Mr. Keith Carlock."

The crowd just went crazy!

Anyhow, here's a link to Keith's bio which mentions his music professor at UNT and why he chose to attend UNT over places like Berkley etc...

http://www.keithcarlock.com/bio.htm

If you ever get a chance to hear this guy play live - do it! He was handpicked by Sting to be on his tour and his list of artists who he has collaborated with is amazing.

We have a lot to be proud of folks and I was very proud to be a UNT grad last night.

GMG!

Pretty cool. Carlock is taking over for some serious drummers before him like Peter Erskine and Dennis Chambers. My uncle was a roadie for Steely Dan for a while back when those guys were with them. He used to tell me stories about how Donald Fagen had such a good internal clock that he would yell at both of those drummers for rushing or dragging just 2 beats per minute during sections of the song.

Can we just go back to being North Texas State?  Everyone knows us as NTSU...it would be better.  Screw UNT.

---Part of the problem is that a lot of us actually went to NTSU and not UNT (that is what my diploma says and remained so for another 15+years). It is not as bad as I once heard when I was a student some... North Texas State Teacher's College ... which at that time was a name that had been gone almost 30 yrs. I hated that name. Even some of science lab equiptment still had NTSTU stickers on them during the 60's. No doubt some library books are still stamped that way.

---Those who do it just to irritate us (SMU), I just consider them stupid and have no respect for them but the rest I just accept the fact don't know better. Those folks (unfortunately, my era mostly, will pass away).

---For those who don't know it, the UNT name was actually approved in the early 60's by the House of Rep. but the Texas Senate had too many UT grads and basicly said "We have only ONE Un. of Texas and we aren't going to have a Un. of North Texas". Sort of funny since four? years later they had to rename Texas Western and Arlington to UTEP and UTA for financial reasons. UNT window stickers were actually on sale somewhere near campus when I was a student because someone had jumped the gun on the name change and had them printed. People would buy them and most would cut off "Univ of" and use them.

--Having said the above, lets us call SWTSU what it is now.. Texas State.. we are no better when we do it as well even though that change it rather recent. I noticed a finalistist in the home run derby called his alma matre Southwest Missouri when interviewed, it is now known as Missouri State. Old grads names die hard sometimes.