Mavs dealing begins!

If the Mavericks can't swing a subsequent deal for the No. 5 pick, they will undoubtedly weigh the merits of drafting Pavel Podkolzine, the 7-foot-5 center from Russia.

I'm sure that guy is great and all, but let's deal that pick.

The story says Nash, Howard, the #5 and any other players acquired in this deal could be sent to LA. Apparently the Mavs are still saying Dirk is untouchable.

I really thought they would keep Jamison around, and Walker would be the first to go. Then again, I didn't think T-Mac and Shaq would be on the block either.

Ok, the salaries of Walker + Stackhouse + Leattner = 86.4 salary ratio. Shaq is at 82.1.

I'm not sure how to figure in the #5 pick, but it would be appealing for Deng or Livingston for LA.

They would want Walker for a 14 million break next year.

They could play Stackhouse at the 3, bringing George and Fox off the bench, where they should be.

Leattner and Malone can play the 4, whoever is healthy. Leattner can play 5 too against smaller matchups.

_____

Maybe Finley, Nash, Howard, or Daniels are involved, this is just throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks. It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out.

____

If this would have been a three team trade as follows...

Dallas trades: Jamison & Walker

Dallas gets: O'Neal

Washington trades: Stackhouse & Leattner & #5 pick

Washington gets: Jamison

LA trades: O'Neal

LA gets: Stackhouse, Leattner, Walker, #5 pick

...it would have been accepted by league rules, the salaries match. It would be the ideal trade for the Mavs, the Wizards dumped salary, and the Lakers add depth and youth and relief after next season.

Edited by Coach

Man, Aaron...if that scenario you described turns into a reality, that would be too cool. The media is still saying that Shaq AND Dirk will not be in Dallas together, but who knows? I think the Lakers might want more for Shaq than Walker, Stackhouse, Laettner, and a top 5 pick. This is all too crazy...at the same time, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Great picture, by the way. laugh.gif

I don't think it's gonna happen either. I don't think the Lakers will want Stackhouse. But I am hearing that the Knicks do. Also, Leattner's contract is up after next year too, so along with Walker that is over 20 million dollars of relief after next season. That is a very hot commodity in the salary cap era of the NBA. The Mavs are far from done.

Guest e-bone

Mavs trade an aging Van Exel for Jamison, then trade Jamison for what they need to trade for Shaq. I wonder what the people who whined about trading Van Exel will say about that laugh.gif

This offseason is setting up to be huge....For a hoop-a-holic like myself its something to tide me over until my other love....football starts up!....My only complaint is that i have to freaking work tonite during the draft....already told the other managers i will be glued to the radio and internet the entire nite!

Holla!

GMG

Guest JohnDenver

Why bring up the Van Exel deal -- it has nothing to do with our current situation?

Honestly, I would rather still have our team from two years ago and try again. Give me Griffin/Bell over Howard, the Wizard over [whomever] and Van Exel over Best. The twans didn't bring us anything better --- only larger contracts that didn't allow us to resign some talented players.

So I am not too upset by splitting up this bastardized team. I wish they would stop looking for the instant championship and try to foster a good team environment.

History has shown that buying championship team doesn't work. A la Redskins, Rangers, Lakers, Portland, etc.

The team from two years ago did have a certain swagger to it. Van Exel and Bell added some attitude that is missed in my opinion. LaFrentz was a decent center away from the basket...but I don't really remember him being a better defender/rebounder than even Najera. Walt Williams was pretty much an inconsistent offensive spark off the bench, I'd take Jamison over him any day. Anyway, they had a good run in the playoffs that year, largely in part to Nick Van Exel.

I don't know if that team would have fared any better against the Spurs or the Lakers this year though.

Griffin/Bell for Howard....at least give the kid some time to form into something....this kid will out play both of those guys....come on now.... Raja wasn't consistant....Griffin....Injury prone....ROOKIES....PLUS how many games did griffin see this year....Bell tore the mavs up i give you that...but two years removed...those guys are done....

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

Washington (Dallas) takes Devin Harris out of Wisconsin with the 5th overall pick. Who knows what team he'll actually end up playing for? This could mean lots of things...the first thing that crossed my mind, is Dallas planning on losing Nash to free agency or in a trade? Do they want to be that young at the point...especially with Daniels? They mentioned a possible trade down with Philly for the 9th pick and Glenn Robinson? PLEASE don't bring the Big Dog down here...he's not the same as he used to be...and does he do anything but shoot the ball and occasionally get a rebound? Sorry for the rant, this is all too confusing. blink.gif

The thing that scares me about this infatuation with the 7'5 Russian is that the way all the scouts fell in love with him was when he showed ball handling and passing skills while playing the point at a big man camp. I don't want him standing around the three point line, I want him to get inside and knock some heads. Of course I have never seen him play, so maybe he will do just that. We will see I guess.

We added a point guard and a center in this draft...considered the two toughest positions to find good players at.

Edited by Coach

Guest e-bone

Why bring up the Van Exel deal -- it has nothing to do with our current situation?

It doesn't? Like I already mentioned, we traded Van Exel for Jamison and then traded Jamison for pieces that could make Shaq a Mav. I would say that the Van Exel deal has quite a bit to do with the Mavs' current situation.

Guest JohnDenver

It doesn't? Like I already mentioned, we traded Van Exel for Jamison and then traded Jamison for pieces that could make Shaq a Mav. I would say that the Van Exel deal has quite a bit to do with the Mavs' current situation.

I would say the DEAL has something to do with it ... NOT THE FANS WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT LOSING VAN EXEL.

It is worthless to look in hindsight.

"Gee, I guess I shouldn't have been upset that we traded away the main guy who took us to the conference championship series."

That is a pointless question ... meant to rub "those" people the wrong way.

On a side note, how old are you?

Guest e-bone

I would say the DEAL has something to do with it ... NOT THE FANS WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT LOSING VAN EXEL.

Then why did you say, "Why bring up the Van Exel deal -- it has nothing to do with our current situation?"?

I just got sick and tired of idiots calling in to the sports talk shows talking about how if the Mavs had Van Exel they would be undefeated and blah blah blah. Then they would go on to put down Walker, who is the same player as Van Exel, but about 8 inches taller and a better passer. People forget how inconsistent Van Exel was during the regular season and how people were calling in the talk shows then demanding that he be traded. He has a couple of good playoff series and now he is the savior. They forget how many times during the regular season he would hog the ball and basically single handedly lose games. I'm so happy that Van Exel had those two great playoff series, because otherwise he would have had zero trade value. Instead the Mavs got Jamison for him, who did things the Mavs needed that Van Exel could not. Plus he would have had more trade value in the future(I didn't hear about any deals for Van Exel giving up a first round pick).

As soon as the Mavs traded for Walker, everyone who had a basic understanding of the NBA knew that at least one of the two "Antwans" were just trade bait for the future. Here we are in the future, and thanks to Van Exel's two good playoff series the Mavs are close to trading for Shaq.

The ultimate goal is to win the NBA championship, and having Nick Van Exel instead of Antwan Jamison last season wouldn't have changed the results of the season. But trading Van Exel for Jamison, and then trading Jamison to the Wizards has put the Mavs in position to trade for Shaq, who will give the Mavs the best chance to win the NBA championship(no matter how little I like him).