Player Leaves Unt Men's Team

Brett Vito

Ben Knox, a 6-10 center, has left the UNT men's basketball team, head coach Johnny Jones confirmed Thursday.

Knox played two seasons for UNT and stared eight games in the middle of last season. He scored a career high nine points in 20 minutes in a win over Arkansas-Little Rock on Dec. 30.

Knox returned to the bench later in the season and averaged 1.6 points on the year.

Jones said that Knox did not plan on using his remaining eligibility at another school and that he left the school in good academic standing.

COMPLETE DRC ARTICLE LINK

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hmm. 1 less big body to take up space in the paint. As bad of a player as Knox was, I don't think I'm excited about this... unless Johnny's got something up his sleve?

I'm with you. We won't have a center on the roster. And Knox was definitely making improvements last season.

• Upvote 2

Not good in my view, unless NT has someone better lined up. NT spend 3 years on a player waiting for him to develop enough to be a positive factor and now with two years left to play; he is gone. Knox got a lot of negative comment during his career, but he did contribute. Reminds me of when Mangrum left, there were a lot that saw that has a positive, opening up another scholarship. Losing Mangrum ended up costing the team a substantial amount. No Knox was not close to as good as Mangrum, but the situations are similar.

I think this probably explains NT's apparent interest of signing a front court player with what was then their last ship. I sure don't want NT going into next season like last with only 11 ship players. Franklin getting to play next year and Mitchell being eligible become even more important factors.

Edited by All About UNT
  • Upvote 2

It is always sad to see a player leave the program. Knox earned some PT last year and acquitted himself well. I thought he would contribute more in the next two years.

Thank you for your service, Ben, and good luck to you. :goodjob:

• Upvote 2

There are 2 available transfers that I would love to have, however, they would have to sit out 2011-2012. Keep in mind those guys that just graduated; with another year of eligibility to play at a different university. (Dez Willingham from SMU to UNT and Mangrum from UNT to SMU.

Don't have any names other than possibly Ian Markoff of Wisconsin. Decided to transfer back to Texas last year but elected to just quit the team and remain as a student. I have no evidence to support such a scenario involving him. Just pointing out another option; for 11-12. Best of luck to Ben Knox

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/markolf_ian00.html

I think I'll miss Big Ben. I really liked the kid and got to meet his family at this year's conference tourney in Hot Springs. I do think he will be missed as his game was improving and I fully expected that improvement to continue. Good kid too and took care of business in the classroom. Sure, still lots of room for improvement in his game, but it was developing. It must be hard for a kid to put in that much time and effort into something and then to not get much playing time. College sports is not like HS in so many ways, but not the least of which is the time element...it's almost a full-time job of these student-athletes, and the pay-back is playing time. When that isn't much of a pay-back it has to be hard. I have no clue why Ben decided to leave the program, but I, for one, will miss him.

Two open slots now....hopefully each will be filled by a "big man".

Good luck, Ben.

I saw a great deal of improvement last year and was looking forward to watching him for his last two years. JJ had Knox start a few games early in the year and was begining to bang the opponents big men around plus just a big body in the middle of the opponents lane. Knox started getting really pretty aggressive in the middle. Sad to see him go.