Deloach

Green Nightmare

Blog

UNT officials -- No contract yet for DeLoach

UNT officials responded to a Freedom of Information Act request today with an interesting bit of information -- there is no contract for former UNT defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach working its way through the UNT system.

A UNT official said it would be at least a week before a deal is in place.

That doesn't mean that DeLoach isn't going to take over as UNT's defensive coordinator, but it might indicate that it will be a few days before the deal is finalized.

The hang-up appears to be that DeLoach is close to becoming vested in the California teaching system, which would ensure him medical benefits when he retires. Accepting the UNT job before he hits the five-year mark would force DeLoach to forfeit those benefits, or at least that is the story I heard from a source outside the UNT athletic department.

I also heard that DeLoach might be pondering an opportunity to coach at another Texas school, but I still expect him to end up at UNT.

D-day for finalizing the DeLoach hire appears to be Jan. 21.

According to the UCLA site, he was hired in January of 03. So the question would be what day in January was he hired?

DeLoach has coached in the Texas system long enough to be vested in it as well. My guess is that he's trying to pad his retirement package when he finally retires. I don't blame him for wanting to retain that benefit, because medical benefits are much more valuable to a retiree than the small amount of annunity he will receive from the California system. I'm also guessing that his wife is on his California medical plan, and he wants to make sure that she always has medical coverage. California probably has a more "liberal" state retirement plan than Texas, especially about medical coverage. I'm just guessing about that though.

North Texas (and all the othe state Universities in Texas) are on the Teacher retirement system. As I stated before, he's easily vested in the Texas system, but I don't know how it would work about medical coverage if you have not continually worked and payed into the system. If he comes back to coach at North Texas, then he'll be paying into the system again, and he'll be building more equity into his Teachers retirement plan.

So, unless some private school offers him a LOT of money, and he's very good at investing it, he would have more incentive to come back to coach at a State University.

AND, if he comes back to North Texas, I'm sure a certain North Texas letterman (who happens to be very good at money management) would be happy to give him some good investment advise to "enhance" his retirement annunity. :rolleyes: