D R C - Mean Green Leans On Seniors

MeanGreen61

Football: Mean Green leaning on seniors

Dodge looks to veterans in adversity

10:34 PM CDT on Monday, October 8, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

One of the luxuries North Texas head coach Todd Dodge enjoyed coming into his first season with the Mean Green was having a large group of experienced seniors to look to for leadership.

He just didn't expect to have to depend on those veterans to guide his team through what is quickly becoming a dismal campaign. UNT lost its fifth straight game to open the season on Saturday when Louisiana-Lafayette handed the Mean Green its second consecutive loss in Sun Belt Conference play.

Dodge said winning the conference title was his goal heading into the season. The Mean Green will have to turn to those same seniors for stability now that the crown appears to be out of reach heading into a home game against Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday at Fouts Field.

The Sun Belt has had a two-loss team win a share of the league title just once in its six-year history.

So far, Dodge has been happy with the way his veteran players have responded following UNT's 38-29 loss to the Ragin' Cajuns.

"I talk to our players all the time and I talked to them after the adversity we have experienced started," Dodge said during Monday's SBC coaches teleconference. "Our seniors have responded in a very positive way. It's my job to make sure that they stay focused and on board."

UNT has several seniors filling key roles this season, especially on defense. All three of the Mean Green's starting linebackers are seniors as are safety Aaron Weathers and defensive end Jeremiah Chapman.

UNT also has several seniors on offense, where wide receiver Brandon Jackson and running back Jamario Thomas are two of the Mean Green's more productive players.

Dodge said he is more concerned with how those players handle seeing their careers continue to come to a disappointing close than how he manages to get through a tough season after a highly successful run at Southlake Carroll. Dodge went 79-1 in his last five seasons with the Dragons, with his only loss coming to Katy in the 2003 Class 5A Division II state title game.

"I have been through adversity both as a player and as a coach," Dodge said. "What you want to see is a whole lot of care and want-to."

Dodge said he is still seeing that desire from his veteran players.

Dodge elaborates on QB switch

Dodge said late Saturday that Giovanni Vizza will be his starting quarterback for the rest of the season after making a surprise switch by putting the freshman in the starting lineup in place of junior Daniel Meager against UL-Lafayette.

Dodge stuck by that stance Monday and elaborated on why he made the change.

"We evaluate our players week to week." Dodge said. "We made the change not because of what Daniel hasn't done, but because of the spark that Giovanni can bring as a dual-threat quarterback."

Meager threw for a school record 601 yards against SMU, but went 0-4 as a starter. He was the Mean Green's opening-day starter in a loss to Oklahoma.

Vizza posted 383 passing yards in the Mean Green's loss to ULL, the eighth-highest total in UNT history.

Dodge said he has been impressed with Vizza's development since he arrived at UNT.

"It's a little different seeing if a freshman is ready to play," Dodge said. "You recruit a guy who fits your system and then turn him loose in fall camp. … We decided we didn't want to throw Giovanni out there against Oklahoma and Daniel won the job. Later on in our evaluation, we decided that Giovanni gives us the best chance to win."

Briefly …

Tobe Nwigwe was not a member of UNT's travel squad for the Mean Green's loss to UL-Lafayette. The sophomore linebacker is facing a hearing on Thursday to have his probation revoked. Nwigwe pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespass on Aug. 23, 2006, and was arrested on a theft charge on Jan. 27 while on probation. … Running back Jamario Thomas, who was knocked out in the second half of UNT's loss to UL-Lafayette with a sprained ankle, is expected to play this week.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I listened on the internet while working on a spreadsheet last night, so my attention was divided. But, I do not remember too many comments about the Deplorable D. Seems there were a few comments about missed tackles, as I recall; things like having their runner stopped for modest gains, only to have them break for a long run. Apparently the current agreement is "don't ask, don't tell".