Drc Long Article, Washing Back, Ww Still Possible, Rexrode Out

OldTimer

UNT's Washington returns to practice

Wilson still a no-show

11:19 PM CDT on Monday, August 13, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Sweating it out on a triple-digit day never felt so good to Korey Washington.

The North Texas sophomore receiver was conspicuously absent during the first week of the Mean Green's fall practice while taking care of issues off the field. Washington completed those tasks just in time to work out on Monday.

"It's unbelievable," Washington said of finally getting the opportunity to practice. "I worked hard this summer. Now I am just trying to get used to things. … I wish I could have come out earlier."

Senior quarterback Woody Wilson was also expected to make his fall debut on Monday but didn't work out with the Mean Green. A UNT official said there was still a possibility Wilson could play for the Mean Green this season.

While UNT didn't get Wilson back on the field, Washington's return could pay immediate dividends.

Washington is projected to start for the Mean Green in the slot, a spot where UNT lacks depth and experience. UNT head coach Todd Dodge moved Washington to wide receiver from defensive back shortly after taking over as the Mean Green's head coach in December.

"We invested a lot of time after moving him from the corner to the slot," Dodge said. "It was a good move coming out of spring ball. Having him back does a lot for a unit that doesn't have a whole lot of experience. Now we have all four [starting receivers] that finished spring and a bunch of young guys pushing them."

Washington will spend the next few days trying to reclaim his starting spot and catch up to the rest of the Mean Green's wide receivers. The task is one Washington feels like he is ready to take on.

"I don't feel like I am too far behind," Washington said. "I have to get back into the rotation and get my position back."

Washington will have plenty of competition. Freshman B.J. Lewis is just one of several young players who have been impressive while playing in the slot in practice. There is little doubt Washington has the talent to compete with those players and return to the Mean Green's starting lineup.

"Korey brings a lot of speed and elusiveness to the slot," Dodge said. "I moved him because of what I had seen him do in high school as a quarterback with the ball in his hands. … We are glad he took care of business off the field."

UNT to have first two-a-day session

UNT will endure its first day with two practice sessions beginning this morning at 8:45.

Adding another practice is a development Dodge does not believe his team will have any problem adjusting to, despite what have been brutally hot conditions.

UNT didn't have any problems with the heat during its scrimmage on Saturday

"We are definitely ready for it," Dodge said of two-a-days. "We have to be smart going into it as hot as it is. The guys made it through two and a half hours at Fouts Field in really good shape Saturday. I was pleased with them from a toughness and conditioning standpoint."

Junior wide receiver Brock Stickler attributed the Mean Green's easy adjustment to the heat to the work the team put in the last few months.

"We worked really hard this summer to get ready," Stickler said.

Stickler coming back strong

Stickler had his best practice of fall workouts on Monday, just days after recovering from a hamstring injury.

The former Lampasas standout made two nice catches in passing drills, including a sliding grab. Stickler felt soreness in the hamstring on the second day of practice in Aug. 7 and missed three days of workouts before returning for the Mean Green's scrimmage.

"I have come back since then," Stickler said. "Today was definitely my best day."

Stickler is battling for playing time at slot receiver.

Briefly …

Senior defensive back Gary Oubre had to be helped from the field after a collision with wide receiver Evan Fentriss near the end of practice Monday, but quickly recovered and will practice today. … Linebacker Tony Taveras has an injured ankle and will miss a few days of practice. … Running back Deavin Cox will return to practice in full pads today after spending the last several days in shorts. … Junior defensive end Tye Rexrode is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery and could miss the Mean Green's season opener at Oklahoma on Sept. 1. He is expected back for UNT's game against SMU Sept. 8.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.