Changing Of Guards

MeanGreen61

Football: Changing of guards

UNT O-linemen get new look at first practice

11:48 PM CDT on Monday, August 6, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The complexion of North Texas’ offensive line changed dramatically on Monday when the Mean Green reported for the opening of fall practice.

Senior Josh Alexander, a tackle who sat out all of last season with a knee injury, told head coach Todd Dodge on the eve of fall practice that he wouldn't be able to recover and was giving up the sport.

UNT's coaches prepared for the potential loss of Alexander by signing Jacob Kaiser late in the summer. The former Greensburg (Penn.) Central Catholic standout made his debut with the Mean Green at the first practice of fall workouts.

"Josh will not be able to play," Dodge said Monday. "He has done everything we have asked of him. We spoke last night and he said he wouldn't be able to do it."

Just a few weeks ago, it appeared as if Alexander would come back from tearing the patellar tendon in his knee late in the 2005 season. Alexander tried to rehabilitate the knee injury before the 2006 season, but ended up needing surgery.

Alexander spent the last year in rehabilitation and appeared as if he would make it back this fall before suffering a setback in offseason conditioning. UNT's coaches expected Alexander to try to recover in the early stages of fall practice, but the injury proved to be too much to overcome.

Alexander is expected to have another round of surgery on his knee.

"I am going to let him have two or three days off," Dodge said. "Then we will visit and see if we can find a way for him to stay involved with our program."

Dodge said Alexander could end up working as a student assistant.

The loss of Alexander will leave the Mean Green with a redshirt freshman at left tackle in Matt Menard and a sophomore at right tackle in Robert Peachey.

The loss of Alexander could also open the door for Kaiser, who took an unusual path to UNT.

Kaiser said he was being recruited by Tulane, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and East Carolina but ended up without a scholarship offer on signing day.

"Unfortunately, I didn't get the offers I wanted," Kaiser said. "I guess you could say I got lost in the sauce. My high school coach, Muzzy Colosimo, and the junior college coach I signed with said they were shocked I didn't get an offer."

UNT's coaches immediately jumped on the opportunity to sign a player who fit what appears to be one of the Mean Green's biggest needs. UNT lost both of its starting tackles after last season.

"We were looking for an offensive lineman and he just fell right into our laps," Dodge said. "They sent some video from Western Pennsylvania. We loved it and decided to bring him in. To get a guy who is 6-7, 292 -- which is what he weighed in at -- is something we are really pleased about."

Kaiser worked out at tackle with what could be just about an entirely new lineup on the first day of practice. Chad Rose and Adam Venegas are the only returning starters on the offensive line.

Rose played center last season, a spot that is now occupied by sophomore Kelvin Drake.

Kaiser is hoping to make an immediate impact in that new lineup.

"I liked coach Dodge's philosophy that a team is like a family and that he is known for winning," Kaiser said. "I am really upset that other schools overlooked me, but that is just going to add fuel to my fire."

Kaiser's former coaches believe he could be an impact player for the Mean Green.

"Jacob has such a big upside," Colosimo said. "He is big, moves well and he works hard. … Everyone looked at him and said he needs another year and with the limited number of scholarships, they needed guys who could play right now. We thought if he could get into school, he would do well."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Football: Changing of guards

UNT O-linemen get new look at first practice

11:48 PM CDT on Monday, August 6, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The complexion of North Texas’ offensive line changed dramatically on Monday when the Mean Green reported for the opening of fall practice.

Senior Josh Alexander, a tackle who sat out all of last season with a knee injury, told head coach Todd Dodge on the eve of fall practice that he wouldn't be able to recover and was giving up the sport.

UNT's coaches prepared for the potential loss of Alexander by signing Jacob Kaiser late in the summer. The former Greensburg (Penn.) Central Catholic standout made his debut with the Mean Green at the first practice of fall workouts.

"Josh will not be able to play," Dodge said Monday. "He has done everything we have asked of him. We spoke last night and he said he wouldn't be able to do it."

Just a few weeks ago, it appeared as if Alexander would come back from tearing the patellar tendon in his knee late in the 2005 season. Alexander tried to rehabilitate the knee injury before the 2006 season, but ended up needing surgery.

Alexander spent the last year in rehabilitation and appeared as if he would make it back this fall before suffering a setback in offseason conditioning. UNT's coaches expected Alexander to try to recover in the early stages of fall practice, but the injury proved to be too much to overcome.

Alexander is expected to have another round of surgery on his knee.

"I am going to let him have two or three days off," Dodge said. "Then we will visit and see if we can find a way for him to stay involved with our program."

Dodge said Alexander could end up working as a student assistant.

The loss of Alexander will leave the Mean Green with a redshirt freshman at left tackle in Matt Menard and a sophomore at right tackle in Robert Peachey.

The loss of Alexander could also open the door for Kaiser, who took an unusual path to UNT.

Kaiser said he was being recruited by Tulane, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and East Carolina but ended up without a scholarship offer on signing day.

"Unfortunately, I didn't get the offers I wanted," Kaiser said. "I guess you could say I got lost in the sauce. My high school coach, Muzzy Colosimo, and the junior college coach I signed with said they were shocked I didn't get an offer."

UNT's coaches immediately jumped on the opportunity to sign a player who fit what appears to be one of the Mean Green's biggest needs. UNT lost both of its starting tackles after last season.

"We were looking for an offensive lineman and he just fell right into our laps," Dodge said. "They sent some video from Western Pennsylvania. We loved it and decided to bring him in. To get a guy who is 6-7, 292 -- which is what he weighed in at -- is something we are really pleased about."

Kaiser worked out at tackle with what could be just about an entirely new lineup on the first day of practice. Chad Rose and Adam Venegas are the only returning starters on the offensive line.

Rose played center last season, a spot that is now occupied by sophomore Kelvin Drake.

Kaiser is hoping to make an immediate impact in that new lineup.

"I liked coach Dodge's philosophy that a team is like a family and that he is known for winning," Kaiser said. "I am really upset that other schools overlooked me, but that is just going to add fuel to my fire."

Kaiser's former coaches believe he could be an impact player for the Mean Green.

"Jacob has such a big upside," Colosimo said. "He is big, moves well and he works hard. … Everyone looked at him and said he needs another year and with the limited number of scholarships, they needed guys who could play right now. We thought if he could get into school, he would do well."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Nice to see we have a BIG young guy like Kaiser arriving on campus in an area that we have some serious needs. TD seems to be going coast to coast to find some quality guys to bring in at the last moment. As I've said before, quite a few changes going on here in Mean Green Land!! :D