Anyone Else Going to see Pat Green?

Three or four years ago it would have been the focal point of my life, but I believe I will have to pass this time. He used to say that he would never be like Tim McGraw or Garth Brooks, that they aren't real country and they sold out. Then Justin showed me the "Wave On Pop Version" on a hit disc sent out about half a year ago, and I knew I had supported that hypocrite for the last time.

Ben Folds is making me mad, I keep getting email updates of added tour stops and none are around here.

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

The only reason I'd go is to see the bass player, John Dan McBride. He is a really great musician from Denton, and one heck of a nice guy. He used to come out and play with my band almost weekly. I am glad to see he is doing well (even if Pat's music doesn't seem the same as it used to).

Though I think Pat's current status as a "sellout" with many of his original fanbase isn't all his fault, he's not doing much to curb those feelings.

My last straw, though, is his "The Dancehall: Exclusive Online Fan Club" on his website makes me think we've lost him forever. Basically, it's 30 bucks a year for a the chance to get in on some pre-sale tickets and an occasional website update.

So here I am...a guy that used to follow Pat around the state...I've seen the guy 47 times. And in 47 shows, I saw it progressively worse. I understand why you would want to make yourself as successful as possible in your profession and I don't fault him for that. However, you have to balance the success with not alienating your core fanbase...and I think he's indirectly destroyed what remained of his original fans.

Tack all of that on to the fact that it pisses alot of us off when you ask someone "Do you like Texas Music?" and they reply "Oooo, I love Pat Green." There's so much more to Texas Music that they don't see...and I almost feel like he's a burden on the genre. Folks like Jack Ingram, Norah Jones, Eisley, Mur, Jerry Jeff, Townes (God rest his beautiful soul), and of course, Willie...people who are doing it their own way and not completely selling their soul for the Almighty Dollar...THAT'S the epitome of Texas Music.

Pierow, you're right, he does have a great band that deserves some support...JonDan and drummer Justin Pollard are two incredibly talented musicians that I will continue to support should they move on to do their own projects. But, I'm done with Pat. I'll continue to listen to his pre-"Wave On Wave" stuff with fond memories...and I will support his next disc only because it will be supporting Jack Ingram (Jack tells me that his song "One Thing" is going to be covered by Pat).

Sorry for the rant...but that's a subject that is near and dear to my heart since Pat's music played a large part in the path I chose to direct my life down. Fortunately, I had someone like Jack Ingram come along and open my eyes to the rest of the great music that is out there.

Edited by JayDub

There's so much more to Texas Music that they don't see...and I almost feel like he's a burden on the genre.  Folks like Jack Ingram, Norah Jones, Eisley, Mur, Jerry Jeff, Townes (God rest his beautiful soul), and of course, Willie...people who are doing it their own way and not completely selling their soul for the Almighty Dollar...THAT'S the epitome of Texas Music.

Could not agree more. I would add to those Eric Johnson. Not country, but original, talented, and refuses to compromise to chase airplay. Saw him at Austin City Limits about 12 years ago, and that's the one concert I'll never forget. He was a bit miscast with G-3, he would have been better paired someone like Steve Morse than the likes of Satriani and Vai.

Though I think Pat's current status as a "sellout" with many of his original fanbase isn't all his fault, he's not doing much to curb those feelings. 

Folks like Jack Ingram, Norah Jones, Eisley, Mur, Jerry Jeff, Townes (God rest his beautiful soul), and of course, Willie...people who are doing it their own way and not completely selling their soul for the Almighty Dollar...THAT'S the epitome of Texas Music.

Fortunately, I had someone like Jack Ingram come along and open my eyes to the rest of the great music that is out there.

We need to see Mr. Ingram every chance we get. However, he may get too big one of these days also. Primarily, he is a better songwriter (in my opinion) than Pat.

"SHE'S a Barrrr bee dolllll...(BARBEH DOLL)...yeah, she's a barrr bee doll...(BARBEH DOLL)..she real good lookin' but she's got no heart at all"

Edited by Pierow 2

I can't say that I'm an original member of his fan base, but I was at the Groovy Mule a few years back. That was the first time I'd really heard him. I just remember that the music was good, and there was a lot of partying going on. I've been listening ever since. His music still carries some of that in my opinion (I haven't heard the "pop" versions you guys are talking about though). I know it's gotten way too trendy, but when you put on shows like that to college audiences, word is eventually going to spread.

Anyway, I'll continue to listen to him and his band...but I had to give up my tickets, couldn't get out of work. <_<