Men's BB signs 2 players.Quincy Williams

OldTimer

Mean Green Basketball Signs Two High School Recruits Early

DENTON (11/12/03) - The North Texas men's basketball team signed high school standouts Quincy Williams and Michael Sturns to national letters of intent on the first day of the early signing period Wednesday.

Williams is a 6-8, 215 pound forward that is set for his senior season at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla., while Sturns is a 6-4, 175 pound guard that will help lead No. 2-ranked North Crowley in Fort Worth during the upcoming season.

"We are excited that Quincy and Michael have chosen to be a part of the University of North Texas Mean Green family," said North Texas head coach Johnny Jones.

Williams transferred to Carl Albert High School for his senior season after averaging 10 points and seven rebounds at Midwest City High School last season. Due to high school transferring rules in Oklahoma, Williams will not be eligible to compete with Carl Albert until the end of the fall semester. CAHS posted a 21-5 record last year and advanced to the area round of the playoffs.

"Quincy is a great person," said Carl Albert head coach Jay Price. "His size and ability around the basket will help us in the post. He can post up big and play around the basket, or step outside and be a threat. He's agile and can run the floor, but we can post him up as well."

"With his size, passing ability, rebounding and soft touch around the basket, Quincy will bring a much needed offensive presence to our team in the post," said Jones. "Quincy comes from a great family and high school program. We are delighted he chose North Texas. He is the younger brother of Sheldon Williams, who starts for the Duke Blue Devils."

Despite missing 15 games due to a broken wrist in 2002-03, Sturns was still selected First Team All-District and an All-Region nominee at North Crowley. He averaged 12.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. The 6-4 guard averaged 3.8 assists per game and had better than a 2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

"Michael has a chance to be a really good basketball player in the Sun Belt," said North Crowley head coach Tommy Brakel. "He has a knack for getting the ball to the goal and is a great scorer that can do it from both the inside and outside."

"Michael's size and ball-handling skills could make him the most versatile player on our team next year," said Jones. "We feel like he is one of the best recruits in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and we are excited that, along with his family and high school coach, he chose North Texas."

Williams and Sturns will help North Texas replace the loss of senior forwards/centers Will Smith and Shawnson Johnson at the end of this season, as well as senior guard Jerome Rogers and senior forward Michael DeGrate.

"This is a great start for us in recruiting, securing two top-notch high school players," said Jones.

If my memory is correct, Michael Sturns played for Arlington Oak Ridge with Ron Harris before transferring to North Crowley last year.

Help, Old-Timer.

If he is who I think he is, Sturns was considered one of the top Sophs in the state two years ago. I didn't get to see him play for North Crowley. Even after missing most of the year with injuries, he showed enough to be rated #46 Senior in Texas. At Oak Ridge when he was a Soph, against Man Defense, they used to spread the court so he could go one-on-one. He could be a point or a wing guard.

Quincy is not skinny. I met him and his parents and he's already got a pretty solid build. He has to be more than 215. His dad is a really big guy that played college ball and is/was a coach. Really good people. Here's a bio of his brother Sheldon who is 6-9, 245 and one of the better players in the ACC.

Sheldon Williams

I don't know a thing about Sturns but his name shows up on a lot of all star lists.

Given the influx of JUCO's and transfers I think it is a good sign that Johnny landed two high school recruits in the early signing period that appear to have some potential.

Below is a post from Texas Hoops message board:

TULSAFAN

user profile

Post #54 Dissappointed about Sturns choosing North Texas Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dissappointed that he choose North Texas. I thought he would have waited until Spring. I really think he's got a lot of upside potential.

Posted on 11/10 4:08 PM | IP: Logged

It looks as though Tulsa was interested in Sturns. Below is from a Tulsa Recruiting site:

Sturns is a good prospect

From reports I have heard it looks as if we will turn our attention to Sturns and or Franklyn...Sturns sounds like a good scorer and Franklyn is a great ahtlete....Coley, Glenn type....If we get Sturns then maybe Langford will follow him. I believe they play on the same team.....Chris what have you heard?

failure courts success-Roy McAvoy (Tin Cup)

Chris Harmon

Editor - Hurricane Alert Newsletter

TU Beat Reporter - Tulsa SportsWeb

Recruiting Analyst - PrepRecruiting.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-03-2003 05:56 PM

Tulsa teen

Position Coach

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jed_d_tai

Sturns is being under-recruited, that's for sure. But I wouldn't count on his interest in Tulsa being too high. He has told me that Tulsa became low on his list the second Kelley and McDade signed. Things could change, but I wouldn't count on him (or Langford) getting too interested.

Franklin is a possibility though. Reminds me I need to call him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Lowery

Recruiting Analyst

Sooner State Recruiting

11-03-2003 06:17 PM

Canefan

Senior

I think that speaks volumes when a player shys away when we have certain players signed. He knows their quality and doesn't believe he can compete for playing time. I still believe that is part of our problem in recruiting this year with such a young class.

11-03-2003 09:06 PM

AFlyOnBobbysWall

Graduate Assistant

Sturns signs with North Texas.