Pat Boone to perform at UNT Stadium Opening

Harry

Legendary entertainer Pat Boone, who skyrocketed to stardom in the 1950s with chart-topping hits, will return to his UNT roots this September for two special performances.

View the full article

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Legendary entertainer Pat Boone, who skyrocketed to stardom in the 1950s with chart-topping hits, will return to his UNT roots this September for two special performances.

View the full article

Man...it is tough for me to comment on this. I know that he is an icon...no doubt...but I was holding out hope for this guy to sing the anthem!

413BFZFFDZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At big sporting events it's become popular to also have someone sing "America the Beautiful" before the national anthem. It would be nice to take advantage of our musical heritage and have another famous alum sing, such as Mr. Henley.

• Upvote 1

Man...it is tough for me to comment on this. I know that he is an icon...no doubt...but I was holding out hope for this guy to sing the anthem!

413BFZFFDZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well there is always the half-time show. :ph34r:

I would love to hear Don Henley, last time I saw him was at the opening of the AAC.. Thats right I might of been 14 but my dad raised me on good music.

Also Eli Young wouldnt be a bad choice either... They actually really love North Texas and Im sure they would be honored to play

Call me a cynic, but why is a guy who went to UNT the same time as my late grandfather kicking off the "turning point" of the "new" Mean Green.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Wait . . . wait, did I see a :ph34r: in that post?

my friend is his kid's nanny and I told her a couple months ago that the Mean Green Nation would love for him to somehow be involved in the opening events of the ceremony. I have 100% confidence that our AD reached out to him.... I just felt like hitting him (if she did actually relay it) from an outsider.

I really really hope that Adman's :ph34r: post does not mean that on Sept. 11th I will ban him from the forum for issuing a :ph34r: without just cause. :thumbsu:

really? no disrespect to Pat Boone but I'm sure we could have done better, such as Don Henley. Probably 75% of the people in attendance won't even know who he is!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Seriously, people? It's the national anthem. We've got a famous alum coming to do it. That's pretty awesome.

If we had some random vocal performance major singing it, that would be fine. It's less than 2 minutes, and it doesn't even matter. At least Pat Boone probably knows all the words to the song, which is more than some national anthem singers can say for themselves.

"I'd rather", "I'd rather"... Hell, I'd rather Bones Malone and Blue Lou came back and played the anthem as a duet, then sat on my lap through the Houston game and told me stories about how awesome it was to hang out with John Belushi. But at least someone recognizable is going to sing the thing.

If I have to stand there, sweating my balls off and waiting impatiently for football to start, and listen to someone do it... I'm glad to have a name I've heard of, and one that's a former student.

Besides, he knows how to reach out to the kids. Those students hanging out in the parking lots are going to rush inside once they hear the funky fresh notes Mr. Boone belts out.

Just forget about any negative or disappointed feelings some of you may have, and think about the positive and inspirational things.

1. If you want to make a short list of North Texas Music legends from the earliest to most recent, you start with Pat Boone.

2. He had his own club in Denton, before people even thought about there being clubs for hearing music in Denton. Some guys who were around at the birth of Rock and Roll know about this.

3. He's always been known to help people at North Texas who needed help. Case in point; Roy Orbison was in Denton, trying to start a musical career without much luck, asked for advice from Pat Boone, who suggested he change from singing country to singing pop.

4. North Texas music students revere him; rumor has it that he can walk into just about any place in the College of Music, any time, and receive a standing ovation. These young music students know about the guys who paved the way for others.

5. If you want to have someone who is known by several generations of the North Texas family, he's the man.

6. Like Tasty said, if you want someone to sing the National Anthem, and be counted on to do a great job of it, who else?

Yep, he's from another generation than me, but I can still give respect where it's due. If y'all don't think there will be plenty of opportunities to hear a diverse and renowned range of musicians at the new Mean Green Stadium, Pat Boone and I might both think you're crazy. Just be thankful him coming here and move on.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just forget about any negative or disappointed feelings some of you may have, and think about the positive and inspirational things.

1. If you want to make a short list of North Texas Music legends from the earliest to most recent, you start with Pat Boone.

2. He had his own club in Denton, before people even thought about there being clubs for hearing music in Denton. Some guys who were around at the birth of Rock and Roll know about this.

3. He's always been known to help people at North Texas who needed help. Case in point; Roy Orbison was in Denton, trying to start a musical career without much luck, asked for advice from Pat Boone, who suggested he change from singing country to singing pop.

4. North Texas music students revere him; rumor has it that he can walk into just about any place in the College of Music, any time, and receive a standing ovation. These young music students know about the guys who paved the way for others.

5. If you want to have someone who is known by several generations of the North Texas family, he's the man.

6. Like Tasty said, if you want someone to sing the National Anthem, and be counted on to do a great job of it, who else?

Yep, he's from another generation than me, but I can still give respect where it's due. If y'all don't think there will be plenty of opportunities to hear a diverse and renowned range of musicians at the new Mean Green Stadium, Pat Boone and I might both think you're crazy. Just be thankful him coming here and move on.

From Nashville Tenn.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61024/m1/425/?q=boone

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61024/m1/237/?q=boone

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61024/m1/209/?q=boone

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61025/m1/195/?q=boone

Music legend?

When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother and grand dad. They had a "record player" but not a whole lot of records. They were all 78 rpm and were about 1/8" thick. Artists included Gene Autry, Al Jolson, and my favorite, Pat Boone. I played "Love Letters in the Sand" and "Bernadine" over and over.

We also went to the Pat Boone Country Inn on Highway 24 (now University Drive- Highway 380). Back then, west highway 24 WAS in the country. I always hoped to catch a glimse of Pat Boone at his restaurant. I never did. I'm looking foward to seeing this music legend both at the game and at the Sunday show.

GO MEAN GREEN

I get UNT's history in music but it didn't have to be a former alum/dentonite anyways. Although if you wanted to go that route Norah Jones and Don Henley makes the most sense in my mind.

Seriously, people.

He is a music legend that is going to sing the national anthem. It's not like he is putting on a half time show. This is a very good thing for UNT athletics.

I would guess that we have not heard all of the special things planned for opening day of the new stadium.

• Upvote 4

He'll be great. Look guys, we could always have Bowling for Soup do it - count your blessings.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Seriously, people.

He is a music legend that is going to sing the national anthem. It's not like he is putting on a half time show. This is a very good thing for UNT athletics.

I would guess that we have not heard all of the special things planned for opening day of the new stadium.

I agree.

And, unless they have previous engagements (which I would assume they would attempt to reschedule if they can), I would be shocked if Ely-Young were not a part of this day.

I agree.

And, unless they have previous engagements (which I would assume they would attempt to reschedule if they can), I would be shocked if Ely-Young were not a part of this day.

I would hope so. I have brought them up to AD staff, so we will just have to wait and see.

really? no disrespect to Pat Boone but I'm sure we could have done better, such as Don Henley. Probably 75% of the people in attendance won't even know who he is!

Actually, college football is most likely to be watched, in person or on TV, by those aged 55-64. (Now, those aren't specifically NT demographics that's college football in general but I'd wager NT is very similar.)

So your 75% argument is a little questionable unless of course 75% of the sellout crowd are NT freshman.

As for who sings what and when - I'm with Tasty.

Also, perhaps the AD has a plan to have a special anthem singer at EVERY home game and we celebrate the entire inaugural season. Let's tap the brakes on the criticism and wait and see how it all plays out first.

"beerman?" Just kidding, he's a whipping.

I think Pat Boone is an appropriate choice, but I would love to see Don Henley, Norah Jones, The Eli Young Band, etc... involved. Honestly, I would love to hear an instrumental version of the National Anthem played by the Grammy winning One O'Clock Lab Band.

I get UNT's history in music but it didn't have to be a former alum/dentonite anyways. Although if you wanted to go that route Norah Jones and Don Henley makes the most sense in my mind.

-- Pat Boone is much better known to all ages .... and has been for 50+ years. he was a huge name in the 50's and even into the 60's... and made several movies that were well know at the time. I think he also holds the record for the most years between #1 songs when he had one (sort of heavy metal) during the late 80's or early 90's. I am glad to see him back in Denton.

--Nothing against your two names but they are younger and not as well known in general (maybe by you and some). A lot of people know the musical group name "Eagles" but maybe not Henley. I would think that only Roy Obisen of NT was even close to Boone in long term fame. Now maybe we can get Dr. Phil to advise the team at half-time ...hahaha. Hope we don't need him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is great news to have such a well known legend to help us get things going.

Rick

---copied from Wikipedia:

According to Billboard, Boone was the second biggest charting artist of the late 1950s, behind only Elvis Presley but ahead of Ricky Nelson and The Platters, and was ranked at No. 9—behind The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney but ahead of artists such as Aretha Franklin and The Beach Boys—in its listing of the Top 100 Top 40 Artists 1955-1995.[1] Boone still holds the Billboard record for spending 220 consecutive weeks on the charts with more than one song.

• Upvote 1

Halftime show Henley, National Anthem Boone. I'm certainly not from his generation and have never really been a big fan, but I think Boone's a great choice. Besides, the older folks have been waiting the longest for this momentous event, and it's great to have an old legend with local ties to help kick it off.

• Upvote 4