North Texas Tennis 2012 Conference Champions!

Zeleny' Orel

Observations after watching my first college conference tennis tournament:

1. College tennis is nothing like professional tennis--lots of yelling, coaching, movement of fans, and fun

2. No subbing for injury or bad day on the court--you start, you finish--not like other team sports

3. It is tense trying to keep track of singles on 6 courts at the same time to see if your are leading or behind in the team scoring

4. Clutch play coming from behind by Valentina Starkova on Saturday to keep us in the tournament

5. Clutch play coming from behind by Irina Paraschiv today to close out the championship today for the Mean Green

6. Congratulations to Paula Dinuta for being nameed the MVP of the tournament--if I remember correctly she won all her doubles and singles matches---very steady to keep us up in each match

7. Felt good to have 3 seniors on the court in the final three matches today--felt like they could battle in the matches to the end--as they needed to

8. The doubles point is very important and we seem to be the masters of starting off with a point from the doubles round

9. FIU had been to the finals the last 8 years--they beat us in the semis last year and we beat them in the finals for the championship in 2010---has become a big rivalry

10. It helps to have former basketball great Kenneth Lyons behind your court leading the cheers and motivating you--come back anytime Kenneth!

11. Coach Lama and Coach Maren have done as great job with these girls, as has Coach Troy--I believe our fitness wins several of those third set matches

There were lots of fans in green out this week rooting for the girls and the home court advantage certainly came into play at critical times. If you ever get a chance, come out to the matches. You will be surprised at how much you will enjoy it.

So, congratulations Kseniya (Fr), Paula (Sr), Nadia (Sr), Irina (Sr), Illona (Jr), Franziska (Fr), Valentina (Jr) and Barbora (Jr). All of you played a big part in the team victory, so.........

ON TO REGIONALS....GO MEAN GREEN!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

gallery_1_23_63952.jpg

Observations after watching my first college conference tennis tournment:

1. College tennis is nothing like professional tennis--lots of yelling, coaching, movement of fans, and fun

2. No subbing for injury or bad day on the court--you start, you finish--not like other team sports

3. It is tense trying to keep track of singles on 6 courts at the same time to see if your are leading or behind in the team scoring

4. Clutch play coming from behind by Valentina Starkova on Saturday to keep us in the tournament

5. Clutch play coming from behind by Irina Paraschiv today to close out the championship today for the Mean Green

6. Congratulations to Paula Dinuta for being nameed the MVP of the tournament--if I remember correctly she won all her doubles and singles matches---very steady to keep us up in each match

7. Felt good to have 3 seniors on the court in the final three matches today--felt like they could battle in the matches to the end--as they needed to

8. The doubles point is very important and we seem to be the masters of starting off with a point from the doubles round

9. FIU had been to the finals the last 8 years--they beat us in the semis last year and we beat them in the finals for the championship in 2010---has become a big rivalry

10. It helps to have former basketball great Kenneth Lyons behind your court leading the cheers and motivating you--come back anytime Kenneth!

11. Coach Lama and Coach Maren have done as great job with these girls, as has Coach Troy--I believe our fitness wins several of those third set matches

There were lots of fans in green out this week rooting for the girls and the home court advantage certainly came into play at critical times. If you ever get a chance, come out to the matches. You will be surprised at how much you will enjoy it.

So, congratulations Kseniya (Fr), Paula (Sr), Nadia (Sr), Irina (Sr), Illona (Jr), Franziska (Fr), Valentina (Jr) and Barbora (Jr). All of you played a big part in the team victory, so.........

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Observations after watching my first college conference tennis tournment:

Most enjoyable tennis update I've ever read. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention it was good to see the following supporting the ladies at the tournament: Dr. & Mrs. Rollins, Mr. & Mrs. C. Dan Smith, Coach Mac, Brett Vito, RV and probably others I didn't see.

I think he was on the clock, not necessarily supporting UNT.

Just sayin...

Get this. Just talked to one of my students who finished 2nd in state last year as a Jr. She said she is thinking about going to Texas Tech. She added that she does not think she is good enough to go to UNT. Please don't blast my student she is an awesome person and student. I just think her statement says alot about the perception of UNT Tennis.

• Upvote 2

Congrats Ladies!

Get this. Just talked to one of my students who finished 2nd in state last year as a Jr. She said she is thinking about going to Texas Tech. She added that she does not think she is good enough to go to UNT. Please don't blast my student she is an awesome person and student. I just think her statement says alot about the perception of UNT Tennis.

Poor girl,

When you have to resort to Lubbock to attend a University, that's just sad.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

ummm she does not follow Women's Tennis close right now then considering Tech is currently #19 in the country and would be harder to make versus UNT which has about 6 players graduating this year and next. She would need to be Top 15 in Texas and probably Top 100 in Country to be considered at either school.

Just saying. For instance an unranked UCF team had a girl who was Top 60 playing Line #3.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2