Anybody Know...?

McKinneyMiner

St. Gregory's and Oklahoma City both play NAIA in the Sooner Conference...

Why is the game against OCU an exhibition and the game against St. Gregory's for real...??

Anybody know what the current rules for exhibitions are...??

I also see that the game is considered an exhibition for St. Gregory's...

St. Gregory's and Oklahoma City both play NAIA in the Sooner Conference...

Why is the game against OCU an exhibition and the game against St. Gregory's for real...??

Anybody know what the current rules for exhibitions are...??

I also see that the game is considered an exhibition for St. Gregory's...

We are under NCAA rules, they are under NAIA rules.

Under NCAA rules we are allowed only 2 games counting as exhibition, and we have a 2nd exh game scheduled in Jan.

Tasty should feel free to refine this response if I have erred somewhere.

• Upvote 1

We are under NCAA rules, they are under NAIA rules.

Under NCAA rules we are allowed only 2 games counting as exhibition, and we have a 2nd exh game scheduled in Jan.

Tasty should feel free to refine this response if I have erred somewhere.

Nothing to refine on our side of the ledger... You got it exactly right. The rule is that we get 2 exhibitions maximum against non-D1 schools. From the NCAA handbook:

(g) Exhibition against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution. An exhibition contest

against a four-year collegiate institution (other than an NCAA Division I institution) played in the arena

in which the member institution regularly plays its home contests. An institution may exempt two such

contests during any year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h), or it

may exempt one such contest and one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h) each year;

D2 schools are allowed to exempt 3 games from their maximum allowed contests.

According to the NAIA handbook:

For the sport of basketball, an institution is allowed one or more exhibition competitions per season so long as the total number of games, exhibitions and scrimmages does not exceed 32. For the sport of basketball, an exhibition competition will not count as a varsity game.

Also per NAIA rules, any games against non-NAIA competition are exhibitions. Stats and records don't count for them.

So, since we're not an NAIA school, St. Gregory's can't count this game as "official" (though it does go against their 32 game annual maximum).

For us, we can only call 2 games exhibitions. We already used one on our tune-up game against OCU, and we have another (really, just a glorified scrimmage) in January as our annual Denton Elementary kids game.

Because we couldn't bring in a D-1 school for our home opener, this one counts for us. But it can't for St. Gregory's. That's why it's a real game that affects our record, but for them it's an exhibition.