A Visit With Euless Trinity's Coach Lineweaver...

eulessismore

Emmitt's "Do you believe" topic led to further self questioning on my part as to why "I believe in UNT football", but my belief about UNT football isn't specifically about the stadium issue. It was really the head coach at Euless Trinity high school, Steve Lineweaver, who got me interested in following football more seriously. My wife and I met him in the summer of 2005 while walking in the park next to where we live here in Euless. He introduced himself as head football coach at Euless Trinity, which I knew had been playing well, but had not attended their games. I was so impressed by the man that I decided to start following Trinity Trojan football. I began attending their games that year, which culminated with their first state championship in football ever. Of course attending games is easy to do when following a winning program which enjoys national media coverage for their players of Tongan heritage and performance of the "Haka" to begin and end each game. However, let me make this clear; I do not believe that Lineweaver is only interested in winning football games, but in teaching young men how to win in life. I also believe that of a man Lineweaver has praised, Todd Dodge.

As far as involvement other than attending games, my wife first came up with an idea to mentor or otherwise support an individual student during a season; I encouraged her to follow up, but said I only wanted to become a booster club member, as being an "ex" of UNT could present problems when working individually with students. When the booster club announced a pancake breakfast fund raiser for yesterday morning, we figured that would be a good chance to talk with the boosters and Lineweaver. It was no big deal for me to sign up for the boosters club, of course, but I was amazed at the immediate interest that my wife's mentoring idea sparked; Lineweaver found some boosters and other family members to talk to her, who expressed concern about a continuing need to get the student athletes to apply themselves academically. I was skeptical about her idea; now I'm convinced she'll get it done.

Lineweaver did ask me whether I had any regrets about having become a Trojan fan, and I replied "No, I've told my wife I follow 2 football programs, the Trinity Trojans, who almost never lose, and North Texas, who almost never win". He immediately responded "That will change". Steve Lineweaver has real football knowledge (and he also knows Todd Dodge). If Steve Lineweaver says we will win, I believe it. As far as everything else we want; a new stadium, better conference, national rankings, whatever, it all starts with winning. And yes, that winning will be on the field and in the lives of our players.

Edited by eulessismore