Awasome

UNTStill

I teach at the Univ. at Albany, where the Giants have had their preseason camp for the last several years (and will continue for several more). I've been to a few practices and watched both preseason games so far, against the Browns and Panthers (locally broadcast). My observations on Awasome:

(1) He's been getting alot of reps in practice, and alot of attention from coaches, but of course it's hard to know exactly what they are saying. Within the limited designs of a practice, he looks good, but then there's nothing like an actual game. During tonight's telecast of the Panthers game, one of the commentators made a point of saying that Coughlin "likes what this guy brings to practice and to games," something along the lines of an all-out effort. Unfortunately, right after that comment Awasome got blocked to the inside and the Panthers made a big gain over his side.

(2) During each game, he hasn't been able to show much. He's played extensively in both, but has done nothing to draw attention (Justin Luck, the 3rd round choice from Notre Dame, had an interception tonight, a couple of tackles.) It seems that Awasome either has trouble shedding blocks, or he's on a stunt that takes him away just as the other team runs his way, or he gets caught up in the inside jumble. But he's hustling like crazy, and even has been playing on kick coverage. He seems to have above-average speed.

(3) There's been no local media coverage of him (a pretty routine story for local media at these camps is to focus on some "Cinderella" story, about the unknown free agent, etc.) and no comments from the coaches quoted in the media.

(4) Right now, I'd say his chances are 50-50, or to cut a fine point on it, maybe 40-60. It depends on how many extra D-line players the Giants want to keep. Of course, there's always the special teams spots, and he might have a much better chance with that possibility, or even if cut, a chance to land with another team that needs the D-line help. He's definitely competitive. Let's all wish him luck.

(5) And fortunately, the commentators said he was a free agent from "North Texas," and not any other long-out-of-date reference!

Being so far away, I appreciated the pix from today's BBQ. I greatly depend on the members of this board to keep someone like me -- a diehard fan since 1960 -- informed and, often, smiling or laughing. Be grateful for where you are.

UNTStill

UNTStill...

Awason is in big trouble.Last week in the preseason he looked pretty bad.Beaten almost on every play.But he practices well during the week.But last nite he looked bad again.And as soon as Harry Carson said "he brings a lot to the game "he got blocked inside and the panthers got a big gain.I've watched him the past 2 weeks and he is getting beat.He seems he's a step slow.He did put pressure on the qb once and got a piece of someone last nite.But the Jints have no room for him now.Maybe taxi or practice squad so he can develop.

How is Kennedy doing???

I watched the latter part of the fourth quarter of Detroit vs. Cleveland and Booger didn't look too much better than your report of Awasome. The Browns were behind, so he was mostly in pass rush situations (not his strongest skill IMO) and he was virtually a non-factor on every play. On the few times when Cleveland did run the ball, the story was basically the same. He was pushed far away from the ball carrier.

As Cleveland drove for the go-ahead score with less than a minute left in the game, Booger had a chance to sack the QB around the Lions' 10-yard line. He either lost his footing or was faked out, but he stumbled and fell harmlessly to the ground while the QB scampered to inside the 5-yard line before throwing for the game-winning TD on the next play.