DRC..2yrs later, DeGrate suits up for NT

OldTimer

Two years later, DeGrate finally suits up for UNT

10/13/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

Michael DeGrate didn?t have any second thoughts the second time he decided to play basketball at North Texas.

The 6-8, 230-pound forward verbally committed to UNT as a high school senior, but changed his mind at the last minute and signed with Baylor, where he played sparingly as a freshman before transferring to McLennan Community College. Now a junior, DeGrate is finally a member of the Mean Green.

DeGrate doesn?t worry about his delayed route from his hometown of McGregor north to Denton. In fact ? after UNT?s 11-win turnaround in coach Johnny Jones? debut season a year ago ? DeGrate thinks the timing is perfect for him to join the program.

"It?s on the rise," said DeGrate, who officially opened practice Saturday along with the rest of the Mean Green. "I believe this is the situation that a guy who only has two years needs to be a part of. In this conference and with this team, I can be more than just a person on the team. I think I can make a name for myself and help make one for the team, which is most important."

DeGrate, who respected recruiting analyst Mike Mitchell considered one of the top 25 junior college players in the country last season, doesn?t have a predetermined role at UNT. He has the size, skills and athleticism to play either forward position and will eventually see playing time at both spots.

Seniors Chris Davis and Jermaine Green ? UNT?s two top scorers and rebounders last season ? are returning starters at the three and four, respectively. But Jones, who wants to extend his defense more this season to take advantage of his team?s increased depth, said DeGrate should see plenty of playing time.

"I don?t know if he?s starting or working into the rotation," Jones said. "But he?s going to get a lot of minutes if he comes in and do the things that are expected of him."

One of those things is to provide a presence inside ? an area that was a weakness for UNT last season ? offensively and defensively. DeGrate averaged 19 points, eight rebounds and two blocks per game last season.

Because of his versatility, DeGrate will create mismatch problems for opponents and provide another offensive option to a team that led the Sun Belt in scoring last season. He is equally adept at scoring in the paint and shooting from beyond the 3-point arc.

"He?s got really good offensive skills," Jones said. "We feel that we can throw the ball into him on the post and he can create. At the same time, he can step out on the perimeter and hit shots. We?re excited about the weapons we feel that he brings to the table."

Added Davis: "He?s going to be a scorer. He?s real aggressive and knows how to get to the ball. He?s so athletic and can shoot the 3. He?s going to add another dimension to our team."

DeGrate hopes to be the piece of the puzzle that makes the Mean Green a 20-game winner, which he proclaimed as his primary goal. He?ll figure out how he fits in and play whatever role he?s asked.

"Wherever they need me, I can play," DeGrate said. "I?m not concerned [about fitting in with the team]. I?m confident in my ability, and I?m confident in this coaching staff. It doesn?t feel like a transition for me. I came here and it just clicked. We?re like family."

And he?s the long lost son who?s finally found his way home.

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572.

2002-03 men?s schedule

Nov. 8 Texas Blue Chips *7 p.m.

Nov. 15 Texas-Louisiana All-Stars* 7 p.m.

Nov. 22 at Southwest Missouri 7 p.m.

Nov. 29 at SMU 7 p.m.

Dec. 1 at Indiana 1 p.m.

Dec. 6 Weber State# TBA

Dec. 7 Winthrop/Morris Brown# TBA

Dec. 10 TCU 7 p.m.

Dec. 16 St. Edwards 7 p.m.

Dec. 21 at Tennessee Tech 6 p.m.

Dec. 23 at Colorado 8 p.m.

Dec. 28 Texas A&M-Commerce 7 p.m.

Dec. 30 at Baylor 8 p.m.

Jan. 2 at Auburn 7 p.m.