Nice Story About John Daly

Area golf notebook: Lewisville pro benefits from Daly contribution

10:22 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 11, 2004

By BILL NICHOLS / The Dallas Morning News

Lewisville's Bruce Smith, pro at the Trails of Frisco, has already had a successful experience as one of the 25 club pros who qualified for the PGA Championship.

During Smith's practice round at Whistling Straits last week, John Daly caught up to Smith, and then joined him for the final three holes. Smith mentioned the celebrity pro-am he would be doing last Monday at the Trails of Frisco. Kisses Fore Kennedy was held to raise money for their 2-year-old daughter, Kennedy, who was born with lymphatic malformation of a portion of her face.

Daly offered to give Smith souvenirs for the auction and then reached into his pocket.

"I thought he was giving me a business card," Smith said. "But he handed me a roll of bills. John said, 'Here, put that in your foundation.' I peeled the bills apart, and there was $1,000. I was pretty choked up about it. I will never forget John and what he has done."