TJ Taylor (Release from Marquette)

adman

Would be interesting to see him play with TM. He's got a body to bang inside and a shot on the outside. Someone like that could help relieve the double teams on TM.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Not disagreeing, but I think a while back Tasty painted a pretty cruel picture of Buzz. As if he does it at Marquette in a more brash/harsh way. I don't remember specifics, except that it's not something I want Benford bringing with him.

Me either, I'm just saying that it does happen.

I don't think we land him unless he's willing to walk on this year. The good thing about us , we are much cheaper than SMU or TCU. However , he was close to choosing TCU out of JUCO and you know Larry Brown isn't scared to make room for him if need be.

Not disagreeing, but I think a while back Tasty painted a pretty cruel picture of Buzz. As if he does it at Marquette in a more brash/harsh way. I don't remember specifics, except that it's not something I want Benford bringing with him.

Not that it should be done in a harsh way, but I don't have a problem with a coach being honest with a kid and telling the kid that if he wants to play, he is going to have to transfer.

Is it kinder to leave the kid at the end of the bench for 4 years?

Scholarships are year to year, for the athlete and the school. Is anyone crying because TM will leave to go pro at the end of the year? No. And they shouldn't be. It's a 2 way street, as it should be.

• Upvote 4

So, if this kid is so solid, why has he gone from OU to Juco to Margette to nowhere???? Is he a "problem" looking for a home? Just asking.

I followed TJ throughout high school at Denison, he is a tremendous talent. Never heard anything about him being a "problem". I don't know what his situation is now other than possibly being homesick. Would love to see him in green!

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry if this is offensive to some of our crowd but I personally see no problem with asking a player who is at the end of your bench to give up his scholarship...or rather telling him that it's not being renewed. Benford's job is to put a winning product on the floor and IF this kid can upgrade our roster then you make the necessary changes. Nobody ever bought season tickets to see players exhibit their citizenship prowess...wins matter. I know it's hard to fathom because we have never had reason to think and act like a big time program but we are on the verge of something truly special and need to become a team that "reloads" not "rebuilds."

If this doesn't sit well with you then ask yourself this question. If there were no scholarships left for next season and Tony Mitchell's clone was ready to walk in here from Carter high school what would you have Benford do? I wouldn't blink in telling him to "make room" and neither would anyone else if they are honest. And, no, it doesn't matter that TJ isn't Tony...upgrading your roster is upgrading your roster.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

I'm sorry if this is offensive to some of our crowd but I personally see no problem with asking a player who is at the end of your bench to give up his scholarship...or rather telling him that it's not being renewed. Benford's job is to put a winning product on the floor and IF this kid can upgrade our roster then you make the necessary changes. Nobody ever bought season tickets to see players exhibit their citizenship prowess...wins matter. I know it's hard to fathom because we have never had reason to think and act like a big time program but we are on the verge of something truly special and need to become a team that "reloads" not "rebuilds."

If this doesn't sit well with you then ask yourself this question. If there were no scholarships left for next season and Tony Mitchell's clone was ready to walk in here from Carter high school what would you have Benford do? I wouldn't blink in telling him to "make room" and neither would anyone else if they are honest. And, no, it doesn't matter that TJ isn't Tony...upgrading your roster is upgrading your roster.

Amen x2. Whatever can be done to make this upcoming season as special as possible should be done. The kind of season we're looking at next year doesn't grow on any tree that I know of. Say what you want about integrity or whatever, but we as a program don't have the luxury of a household name that will bring in the recruits or local/national attention on a year in year out basis. This is our once in a decade or more opportunity for a full season with a top ten in the nation type talented player and whatever can be done to surround him with a win right now roster should be done at no cost. Whatever we do THIS SEASON will serve to shape the future of this program for the next decade/decades down the road. If you have to hurt one player and his family's feelings.... You have to go for it. No single player's feelings are more important than the potential future of the program. If this next season is to be as "Big Time" as we all assume, it's time to start managing the roster like the big boys do.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Like someone mentioned, where's Knox when you need him. :shifty:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think this is a "tread lightly" deal. If Benford is going to go about this the way Emmit spelled out, it becomes a hard sell on the recruiting trail. Especially if you want to convince the parents that you're going to take care of their kid and their education. If it happens repeatedly beyond just TJ, then our opposition has something to use against us.

Again I'm not disputing what recruiting and schollies mean, just saying we should ask ourselves, "is this what we want to be known as? The 'Marquette' of Texas?"

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

I think this is a "tread lightly" deal. If Benford is going to go about this the way Emmit spelled out, it becomes a hard sell on the recruiting trail. Especially if you want to convince the parents that you're going to take care of their kid and their education. If it happens repeatedly beyond just TJ, then our opposition has something to use against us.

Again I'm not disputing what recruiting and schollies mean, just saying we should ask ourselves, "is this what we want to be known as? The 'Marquette' of Texas?"

It's only an issue if you're sitting down with the parents of a kid who will just be a depth guy. Trust me, this is of no consequence if you're in the living room of a 4* kid...they all truly believe they're irreplaceable.

• Upvote 1

I am emotionally with you all the way. We all are. However, I can't see RV going for this. He has stated that North Texas will honor its commitments. And, in the long haul, honoring your obligation simply is the right thing to do. Perhaps there are other as yet unseen opportunities or solutions. Let's hope so! Edited by Greenrex
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am emotionally with you all the way. We all are. However, I can't see RV going for this. He has stated that North Texas will honor its commitments. And, in the long haul, honoring your obligation simply is the right thing to do. Perhaps there are other as yet unseen opportunities or solutions. Let's hope so!

Scholarships are a year to year commitment. There is no promise of a 4 year free ride. Anywhere.

And I would kill to be known as the "Marquette of Texas."

• Upvote 1

I have no idea if Taylor is interested in UNT or if UNT is interested in him. Certainly a very sensitive subject where I maintain mixed feelings. You absolutely have to make room for a Tony Mitchell type talent, with good character. You don’t, however, for someone who does not make you appreciably better. Moreover, you don’t need to keep guys on the roster who you don’t expect to contribute.

We had a coaching change. Coaches are fired for not winning. Winning attracts more fans. More fans become students. Students become alums. Happy alums donate more money. More money improves facilities. A better facility gets us in a bigger better conference. A better conference splits more TV revenue. Greater revenue and exposure attracts better talent and so on and so on in some order.

Anyway, though a Tony Mitchell he aint, TJ makes us much better.

2010 Texas Hoops.com Rankings (Top 160)

http://texashoops.ri...asp?CID=1076670

TJ Taylor #7 - Denison HS

Tony Mitchell #1 - Dallas Pinkston

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1

"Is this what we want to be known as? The 'Marquette' of Texas?"

Yes, or more likely the Memphis of Texas, a school outside the traditional big five conferences that can consistently win, recruit some of the best players in the country, and is always poised to make a run in the NCAA tourney.

Decisions made now could determine whether North Texas will be a one hit wonder or an annual headliner.

NT fans are a strange lot, a whisper that so and so recruit is not that great of a commit and half the board is up in arms. However, it is perfectly alright for many for NT to either not honor a commit or just bump someone off the basketball team. SMU does this, and it is scorned; but if the player is good enough many don't seem to mind if NT and/or staff does the same thing.

It is way late, for NT not to renew a basketball ship and backing out on 2013 commits doesn't help. From a fans view, who cares if x player is mistreated; heck he just should be better. My guess that most of us would view it different if related to the player.

We have to see about Benford, but I don't want a win at all cost coach. I don't think mistreating player is a good strategy in the long run. Most teams in the Belt do it, Jank and Trilli at NT did it to no avail. I think one of the reason that JJ was successful was that he was a player coach and had next to no turnover compared to most of his peers.

I particular like those who wouldn't do something like pulling a ship or backing out on a commitment unless it was a potential great player. I guess bank robbery would be out of the question, unless it was a really big heist.

• Upvote 6

Total creep mode post:

I did some searching of TJ Taylor on Facebook and he is friends with Tony, PJ and JW.

Just saying..

TJ and Tony were both top 10 Texas recruits coming out of HS.

"Birds of a feather" and all...

• Upvote 1

IMO, i do not think Benford, will try to win at all cost. Since, he was hired, all indicators, is that he has a solid reputation. However, I do believe he and staff, wants UNT basketball, to be a force, now, and after Mr. Mitchell leaves for the NBA. It's a delicate balance, but you have to upgrade your team, with talent. Generally, if you are not in the playing rotation, you need to be worried, about your scholarship. If I am a player, not in the rotation, i am looking for other opportunities, to play. The reality is most guys, that are not in the rotation, have few options, unless they go D-II or lower. You only get this opportunity, once in your life.

• Upvote 2

This happens more then you think. My friend played college ball in Houston and he told me your scholarship is on the line every year. It is not a contract nor a guarantee. If a new recruit is going to be better then you well.. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. They had to sit down at the end of every year and discuss if they would be allowed back. Almost every program does this. This Is not some liberal ideal where everyone is a winner and gets a trophy sport. It is a compeition. There are winners and losers as life should be.

Edited by Skiver
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This happens more then you think. My friend played college ball in Houston and he told me your scholarship is on the line every year. It is not a contract nor a guarantee. If a new recruit is going to be better then you well.. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. They had to sit down at the end of every year and discuss if they would be allowed back. Almost every program does this. This Is not some liberal ideal where everyone is a winner and gets a trophy sport. It is a compeition. There are winners and losers as life should be.

Well written!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well said.