Kindly keep these uniforms

Green Otaku

Liked the classic look very much. Interesting that some thought about bringing back the dark green as an accent color. Made this quick on photoshop using LSU's pro combat uniform from a few years back. Its hard to tell but the darker stripes, number outline, belt, etc. are dark green.

eah85v.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I think it would be expensive to have another one game uniform or helmet unless some donor stepped up and said he wanted to do it. Maybe it is a change that will be permanent. It would make more sense to debut a new uniform or helmet at a home game.

I've often wondered why don't we just swap helmet stickers (with SOW) maybe some special sleeves/gloves. That would be a cheap upgrade.

Please put the sow on the helmet and be done with it. Evolving look only getting better. We have graduated from the north Texas words.

GMG

Woods? On a woodsy note, I'm so glad the tailgating at Apogee has grass and trees. Definitely a help on days like yesterday.

I'm curious about those who like the worm. I think it's cool in a kitschy sort of way, you know, the nostalgia of it. But in general it's pretty goofy looking. SOW is fine. But for those who dig the original worm, is it the sensibility that I noted, or do you actually think it looks cool? Somebody said they were around during the worm era and hated it. I would probably have felt the same way. But again, the kitschy nostalgia is fine as a throwback look.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious about those who like the worm. I think it's cool in a kitschy sort of way, you know, the nostalgia of it. But in general it's pretty goofy looking. SOW is fine. But for those who dig the original worm, is it the sensibility that I noted, or do you actually think it looks cool? Somebody said they were around during the worm era and hated it. I would probably have felt the same way. But again, the kitschy nostalgia is fine as a throwback look.

Here are some kitschy logos that should be really, really outdated, but I've always liked because the kitsch eventually gains a little patina and gets a little class and warmth.

wake_forest_demon_deac300.jpg

fighting_irish_symbol.jpg

anteater.gif

That last image entered for the lulz because I know how much it'll piss some people off. Anywho, as a child of the 70s myself, I remember when a lot of graphic design was along the lines of the flying worm. Didn't think much of it then, ruh-heally was embarrassed by it when the 80s and its cools fashions came along. Now I'm an old man, I see it, and that style takes me back to a simpler time when life wasn't so damn hard and grandma always made lemonade. Everything ebbs and flows. That cheesy 70s graphic design is in the flow stage of the cycle. It gives us an identity. It's instantly iconic because it's kitschy.

Now then, as to the state of my lawn. Please remove yourself from it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It has always been my favorite, and I was a fan when it was unveiled in the 70's. Awesome and instantly recognizable. Keep it.

• Upvote 1

I do like the 'flying worm' logo...but we are the Mean Green. That's been the branding direction for a long time now. The only reference to the Eagles is the kick a$$ logo on midfield and Scrappy. We are not The Flying Worms of North Texas. We are The Mean Green. In my opinion, having North Texas, or an interlocking NT, is better than having any redentition of an Eagle.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I do like the 'flying worm' logo...but we are the Mean Green. That's been the branding direction for a long time now. The only reference to the Eagles is the kick a$$ logo on midfield and Scrappy. We are not The Flying Worms of North Texas. We are The Mean Green. In my opinion, having North Texas, or an interlocking NT, is better than having any redentition of an Eagle.

Then we probably need to spend another assload of money to rebrand and come up with a new logo, and lose the "Son of Worm".

• Upvote 2

In regards to the actual uniforms, I would love to see us make the darker green a trim color, much like North Carolina does with light blue and navy blue.

I too have always wanted to capitalize on the "Mean Green" moniker by featuring two shades of green on the uni (although UNC was actually black - supposedly black is an acceptable color because of "TAR heel").

In fact, I would love to go with something similar to the Green Bay "Get Drenched" look below except with white trim on the numbers and some white striping on the sleeves...

Nike-NFL-Get-Drenched-Jerseys-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

If we were to do something like that, the lighter gren, our current shade, would have to be the predominant shade. But I think it would definitely be unique and if done right, a classic, recognizable, and long term uniform.

• Upvote 2

Oh. And the Fight Song. "UNT Eagles Fight Fight Fight".

And the flying worm was the nickname for the logo. It wasn't designed to actually be a flying worm. "Flying Worms of North Texas." Jeez.

• Upvote 2

We are The Mean Green. In my opinion, having North Texas, or an interlocking NT, is better than having any redentition of an Eagle.

agree...would rather have the letterman's interlocked NT or "Mean Green" on helmet

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh. And the Fight Song. "UNT Eagles Fight Fight Fight".

And the flying worm was the nickname for the logo. It wasn't designed to actually be a flying worm. "Flying Worms of North Texas." Jeez.

Yes, the fight song has Eagles too. I get that it's a nickname for the logo. My point is that if our marketing is for Mean Green and not the Eagles, then there shouldn't be a logo that is any version of an eagle on the helmet. And to a non UNT person, it does look like a flying worm. I do like the logo and it represents good times at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We'll never get it correct because there are two different factions on campus fighting each other over this issue. And over all I get the feeling that what looks good,.. or tough, or sharp, or whatever you want to call it for our uni's ... isn't a concern to those making the decisions. And I certainly don't think sales is a concern at all.

The only way I ever see us getting this resolved is to force everyone to the table, including BOR members and the loyal season ticket holders and donors and hash it out.

What you have now...the current branding,...was decided upon by non-athletic and non-sales minded individuals. They are the same group who thinks the Albino Squirrel is cute and and somehow unique to North Texas which it isn't... so much so that they actually included it as a tradition of ours during the failed Green light to greatness campaign event last year. Pathetic!

It's like the fate of the image for NT is decided upon by a bunch of women sitting around the break room comparing Pandora charms and the latest Vera Bradley design...and then all of a sudden....."oh by the way....I think this would look cute on that T shirt...".

Rick

• Upvote 4

I think one thing most, if not all, agree upon is that it's a cool throwback design, so even if it isn't used on a regular basis, it's something we're at least amenable to seeing once or twice a year on uniforms and definitely something that should be available for purchase at all times by any interested parties (hats, t-shirts, etc.). Is that a good starting point for a compromise?

We are, and will also always be the Eagles. The Mean Green is our nickname, kind of like the "Flying Worm" is the nickname for the stylized eagle logo.

http://www.unt.edu/traditions/

• Upvote 3