It's Official: UNT to CUSA Press Conference on Friday!

Harry

gallery_1_23_10023.jpg

North Texas Athletics Media Advisory

What: Press Conference to Announce Future of Mean Green Athletics

When: Friday, May 4 at 3:30 p.m.

Where: Bill Mercer Press Club on 5th floor of Apogee Stadium – University of North Texas

Who: University President V. Lane Rawlins and Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal

One point of clarification on this that I received from UNT, this is a media only event and there will be a fan celebration on Tuesday at 6:30PM. So mark your calendars for Tuesday it should be a big party!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Glad they made it clear Friday's event was only for the press. That way fans are free to attend the optional, voluntary workout session by the Women's basketball team. Can't interfer with that, now can we!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The problem is that by 6;30 Tuesday 40% of the dorm population will be close to done with finals or have already finished and left and a vast majority of night class upper classmen will be in a final.

It is what it is, but by having to Tuesday you have cut into a 1/2 if not a 1/3 of the available student population to come to the event. Its great for the graduates that have finished because it fits the work schedule but for the students this is by far the worst plan.

And FWIW....it was the UNT students who really made this football stadium possible.

Here! Here! To The UNT Students (and all the taxpayers, too). :shocking:

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Looks like the "fun" will be part of the Tuesday Coaches caravan that starts at 6PM on Tuesday the 8th.

C'mon now. Don't act like "fun" wasn't already going to be on the agenda. ;) By the way, I'm sure the party will continue at the Dallas, Plano, and Fort Worth stops as well.

• Upvote 1

Announcements, announcements, announcements!

What a terrible way to die,

A terrible way to die,

A terrible way to be talked to death.

A terrible way to die.

You obviously were sent to summer camp during your childhood. B) It's amazing how universal those little ditties are.

• Upvote 1

I got a $10 spot on RV bursting into tears before the 5 minute mark of the presser.

This time, with good reason.

(but really, I'm not betting anyone after that no nUTSAck to the CUSA debacle).

• Upvote 3

I got a $10 spot on RV bursting into tears before the 5 minute mark of the presser.

This time, with good reason.

(but really, I'm not betting anyone after that no nUTSAck to the CUSA debacle).

Villarreal? He's Irish! Leave him be! :)

• Upvote 1

Not to nit pick, but....

Is it really official? It doesn't say an announcement of conference change, or an announcement of new conference membership.

Just the generic "direction of the athletic program."

Inside scoop, Harry?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem is that by 6;30 Tuesday 40% of the dorm population will be close to done with finals or have already finished and left and a vast majority of night class upper classmen will be in a final.

It is what it is, but by having to Tuesday you have cut into a 1/2 if not a 1/3 of the available student population to come to the event. Its great for the graduates that have finished because it fits the work schedule but for the students this is by far the worst plan.

Hey, i get it.And, I don't blame you one little bit for feeling a tad disappointed. And, I am very appreciative of those students who actually turned out to vote for the new stadium...BUT, let's be honest here...if we waited for students to turn out in force at ANY UNT athletic event, we would be waiting a very long time indeed. I look forward to our new conference alignment helping resolve the problem of general student apathy at UNT towards the athletic programs. And...as far as that goes...to the general "fan" apathy surrounding support for UNT Athletics and UNT in general over the years! Great things are happening...I should say...continuing to happen for UNT!

• Upvote 3

Hey, i get it.And, I don't blame you one little bit for feeling a tad disappointed. And, I am very appreciative of those students who actually turned out to vote for the new stadium...BUT, let's be honest here...if we waited for students to turn out in force at ANY UNT athletic event, we would be waiting a very long time indeed. I look forward to our new conference alignment helping resolve the problem of general student apathy at UNT towards the athletic programs. And...as far as that goes...to the general "fan" apathy surrounding support for UNT Athletics and UNT in general over the years! Great things are happening...I should say...continuing to happen for UNT!

Word... it's not like the campus is just full of students ready to come out and support UNT athletics on a Friday afternoon, their last weekend to hang out with friends(read: get drunk) before school is let out

• Upvote 1

"Only at North Texas can we screw up a wet dream like this, by having the formal announcement tomorrow as a media only event. Then, like the lazy group that we have over at the coal mine, latch onto a pre-planned event to carry over the announcement for the loyal customer 4 days later.

I know of at least two donors who were anticipating going to this event Friday and took off work for it. Only to be made fools of by this athletic department, again!

Only at North Texas!"

Really? Like they couldn't just go on and head to work Friday? Maybe not...but come on...folks take a day off to attend a press conference that had not even been announced officially as yet? Talk about taking a bit of a risk if they cannot now simply go on to work. I, too, had scheduled part of the day off (I assumed it would be an afternoon presser) with the understanding that if the presser did not happen that I would just come on at work that day. No biggie. It's really not that hard. How in the sam hill world did the athletic department make fools of these folks? Seriously, really?

The above quote is an actual quote from a person who will remain un-named here, but it looks to me like someone is trying awfully hard to find something to compalin about. I am sure, like me, lots of folks were planning to attend the news conference once we all knew officially where and what time.

Perhaps now those folks will only need to make one trip to Denton and won't have to take off work to attend the celebration just to turn around and perhaps attend the Coaches Caravan on Tuesday. They now, as will I, get a two-fer for the price of one. It's not like everyone did not already KNOW with 100% certainty that this was happening.... I guess it's pretty much just a matter of if you go through life seeing the glass as half-empty or half-full.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Being a former student.....if a student truly wants to go and can go then he/she will. If they don't want to go then they wont. This is the problem...a University or anybody for that matter can't make EVERYBODY in this world happy. Now there may be some cases in which a student may not be able to because their final may be the same time as the celebration but I think it is rather comical to think that scheduling a particular time will force all students not attending. If you want to come then you will. If you don't want to come then you won't come regardless.

• Upvote 1

"Only at North Texas can we screw up a wet dream like this, by having the formal announcement tomorrow as a media only event. Then, like the lazy group that we have over at the coal mine, latch onto a pre-planned event to carry over the announcement for the loyal customer 4 days later.

I know of at least two donors who were anticipating going to this event Friday and took off work for it. Only to be made fools of by this athletic department, again!

Only at North Texas!"

lulz... i like how they blame the Athl. Dept for a report made by CBS...

• Upvote 1

lulz... i like how they blame the Athl. Dept for a report made by CBS...

Wow. I went to that board one time and was amazed at the begativity about EVERYTHING.

This board is a relaxation/stress reliever for me. College sports is supposed to be the same. If you can't enjoy thi moment without bringing up old grudges, well, enjoy the heart mesication you will inevitably be taking at 50.

Good things.

• Upvote 1

Glad they made it clear Friday's event was only for the press. That way fans are free to attend the optional, voluntary workout session by the Women's basketball team. Can't interfer with that, now can we!

Why don't you get over it, this is really old. All the fans on both sides of the issue love North Texas. Did it get out of hand? Yes. But can't we all just drop it and get along?

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wow. I went to that board one time and was amazed at the begativity about EVERYTHING.

This board is a relaxation/stress reliever for me. College sports is supposed to be the same. If you can't enjoy thi moment without bringing up old grudges, well, enjoy the heart mesication you will inevitably be taking at 50.

Good things.

Good things.

Not in the case of Tennis Hack.... he will have his by the age of 40.

Meh on it being a media only event.

Why can't we have the celebration Friday? It makes the most sense and some of us worked to clear our calendars for Friday because of the anticipated announcement.

Celebration in the parking lot of Apogee????

Apogee, hell!!! You guys should get all liquored up and storm the "for media only" press conference.

Ya, you guys should do that. You guys.

Yea, that's right! That would be the real "North Texas" thing to do! Even a couple of girls streaking into the Mercer Room might make a couple of their own points stand out. :devil:

Toga! Toga! Toga...............Food fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tASwgOWALs

Sorry, I'll go take my evening meds now. :whistling1::sleeping:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen