Fall Practice

HoustonEagle

What makes me want to quit donating? Is threads like this. Who gives a flying f-ck. This program needs money and more fans. Neither of which hinge on whether fans can attend practice. I read threads like this and think to myself maybe it is time to quit throwing good money after bad. We will always be small time.

Unfortunately for me I have some sort of addiction to the hope of better days for the Mean Green. So I keep sending out the checks.

On a side note. My wife and her entire family attended Ohio State. My father in law and I give about the same amount of money to our respective universities. He gets a bumper sticker and the right to buy 4 nose bleed seats on the 50 yard line. That's it!

What have I recieved? Well I get the right and do buy four club level seats that cost less than his nosebleed seats at the horseshoe. I have attended multiple events in Houston for donors and prospective donors. I have had dinner with the university president. I have had drinks with representatives from the athletic department in Houston. Not to mention the usual gifts from umbrellas to grill sets and so on. As I said before. I don't donate that much! Especially when compared with major universities. Yet here we are discussing the 5 fans that want to see a practice and at what giving level that should be. Instead let's discuss how being a Mean Green fan and donor is the best deal in college sports and according to the attendance and donor levels no one seems to give a crap. I could care less about open or closed practices. What I do care about is that at some point we either hit critical mass or people get tired of trying.

Ok that turned into a rant, sorry. Dear God please let this be a winning season

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Don't look now but Nick Saban must be giving away his National Championship trade secrets for free.

http://alabama.scout.../2/1207464.html

.."TUSCALOOSA--The University of Alabama football team's annual Fan Day is set for Sunday, August 5. The Crimson Tide will hold an open practice in Bryant-Denny Stadium from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Players and coaches will be available for autographs immediately after the practice on the field..."

Hat tip to AGG on the GOF board.

Rick

Who is whining?

Rick

I'm sorry but your first post screamed of:

"But XYZ School is doing it; why aren't we doing it too?!"

Why bring up what another program is doing unless you are trying prove something. :whistling1:

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

I'm sorry but your first post screamed of:

"But XYZ School is doing it; why aren't we doing it too?!"

Why bring up what another program is doing unless you are trying prove something. :whistling1:

I don't know but it was mentioned earlier that no one would want to go to a practice, especially by people who wouldn't go to one in the first place(even though there are examples that people do want to), yet feel compelled to lean on those who do and would. Why didn't you apply your message board policing and investigation skills then and ask why someone cares why others want to attend practices when they admit they wouldn't....even if they lived within two hours of Denton?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I don't know but it was mentioned earlier that no one would want to go to a practice, especially by people who wouldn't go to one in the first place(even though there are examples that people do want to), yet feel compelled to lean on those who do and would. Why didn't you apply your message board policing and investigation skills then and ask why someone cares why others want to attend practices when they admit they wouldn't....even if they lived within two hours of Denton?

Rick

Wow, I thought you had reduced to a conservative RSS feed in the Pie forum.

• Upvote 5

Oh look, La Tech is gonna show a little ankle, too?

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072412aaa.html

..."July 24, 2012

RUSTON, La. - Louisiana Tech will hold two primary opportunities to meet and greet players and get autographs this August with two "Fan Fests" that will allow fans to better interact with players one-on-one.

As part of a Bulldog Day in Shreveport, Louisiana Tech will host football practice, press conference and Fan Fest at Independence Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 18........ The team will begin practicing at 6 p.m. with the Club Level open to all fans wanting to watch a Tech practice.......Immediately following practice, the players will head up to the club level for a picture and autograph session..."

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Oh look, La Tech is gonna show a little ankle, too?

http://www.latechspo.../072412aaa.html

..."July 24, 2012

RUSTON, La. - Louisiana Tech will hold two primary opportunities to meet and greet players and get autographs this August with two "Fan Fests" that will allow fans to better interact with players one-on-one.

As part of a Bulldog Day in Shreveport, Louisiana Tech will host football practice, press conference and Fan Fest at Independence Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 18........ The team will begin practicing at 6 p.m. with the Club Level open to all fans wanting to watch a Tech practice.......Immediately following practice, the players will head up to the club level for a picture and autograph session..."

Rick

12d5afcc-7a3d-4cc1-908e-166e003b7155.jpg

I think having a fan fest type of thing that is open to everyone is a cool idea. But if any feels slighted by the fact that all the real practices are closed to the public, even if you donated, too bad. It's McCarney's policy, and considering he's a damn good coach and knows what is best for the team, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sure, I'd love to be able to go watch practice to kill a couple hours every once in a while, but I can't. So, no biggy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Man I remember being there the day Johnny Quinn caught his first pass in full contact pads during a scrimmage.. The QB strung him out over the middle, JQ goes up and gets Hi-lowed and flipped and lands badly, but held on, gets up and spikes the ball at the defender's feet, then jogs back to the huddle.

Harry and I were looking at each other in amazement going "Holy Sheee... Did you see that? Everyone was talking about it.

Same thing for Booger. First day of contact Harry and I saw him going thru blood alley drills and pissing off the upper classmen because he was whipping their asses.

And Scott Hall, barking out orders to upper classmen like a Senior, but as a freshman. We were all going.." there's our Field General right there". And that's exactly who he was and became.

Great memories.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Man I remember being there the day Johnny Quinn caught his first pass in full contact pads during a scrimmage.. The QB strung him out over the middle, JQ goes up and gets Hi-lowed and flipped and lands badly, but held on, gets up and spikes the ball at the defender's feet, then jogs back to the huddle.

Harry and I were looking at each other in amazement going "Holy Sheee... Did you see that? Everyone was talking about it.

Same thing for Booger. First day of contact Harry and I saw him going thru blood alley drills and pissing off the upper classmen because he was whipping their asses.

And Scott Hall, barking out orders to upper classmen like a Senior, but as a freshman. We were all going.." there's our Field General right there". And that's exactly who he was and became.

Great memories.

Rick

Great memories Rick! I said it last night on the pod and I will say it again if Scott Hall doesn't get into the UNT Hall of Fame this year it would be a travesty!! In fact there are several others on those bowl teams who should be added as well. GMG!

Great memories.

Rick

I am addicted to nostalgia. Thank you, sir.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I think having a fan fest type of thing that is open to everyone is a cool idea. But if any feels slighted by the fact that all the real practices are closed to the public, even if you donated, too bad. It's McCarney's policy, and considering he's a damn good coach and knows what is best for the team, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sure, I'd love to be able to go watch practice to kill a couple hours every once in a while, but I can't. So, no biggy.

Coach Mac has the right to close practices. What I have a problem with is, if true, that $1000 and up MGC donors are not invited to closed practices.

According to this, that is a promised perquisite. So I don't care if Bobby Bowden or Nick Saban were coaching UNT, and didn't want any donors present . . . if donors are promised they will be invited to closed practices, that needs to happen.

• Upvote 2

Coach Mac has the right to close practices. What I have a problem with is, if true, that $1000 and up MGC donors are not invited to closed practices.

According to this, that is a promised perquisite. So I don't care if Bobby Bowden or Nick Saban were coaching UNT, and didn't want any donors present . . . if donors are promised they will be invited to closed practices, that needs to happen.

My experience in retail says this leaves a lot of room for interpretation, i.e. it does not say/list what sports are subject for invite. It's a crappy way of suckering people in, counting on the reader to assume it's all-inclusive because it does not list specifics.

If I'm on the fence about donating $1,000, and a football invitation is going to make or break the decision, I sure as hell would ask them on the phone to be sure.

I agree, though, if football is not part of the "promised" invitations then the flyer should make that clear.

• Upvote 1

Note that the benefit chart states invitation to closed practice (singular) and doesn't specify the sport. Just playing devil's advocate. Seems like I remember those donors being invited to a closed basketball practice at one point.

Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

Are you a $1000 + donor? I hope you are. If you're not though why don't you let the $1000+ donors worry about attending practices.

Also the link you provided says $1000+ will be invited to A closed practice (not plural). Seems like a season worth of football will have a ton of closed practices so considering we've had exactly ONE practice this season perhaps a brake tap is in order.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Note that the benefit chart states invitation to closed practice (singular) and doesn't specify the sport. Just playing devil's advocate. Seems like I remember those donors being invited to a closed basketball practice at one point.

Just sayin'.

INDEED THEY WERE...but, of couse, the folks complaining will never recognize that fact...some folks have just become characteritures of themselevs...and as long as we are talking about nostalgia here...I recall when most of these folks actually were very positive people and tried to help the program in any way they could and didn't post stuff negative about the program each and every chance they get...whether fully factual or not. If you will note...it's mostly third party heresay that gets posted here...like "some big donor told me" or "some folks I know"...and it seems to be the same folks relaying the same negative stuff from the same "some folks I know" over and over again...I thought they had their own little board for all that stuff where they can just complain away to each other on and on and on and on and.....

Do we need to post here all the D1 schools that have closed practices? Good Gosh almighty.....And, in case one is wondering, my info on the closed practice invitation last season is from personal & first party knowledge.

Seems to me that UNT does have fan appreciation Days...One is called the Kick-off Cookout and the other one is called the Spring Game where fans get up close and personal with coaches and players and often have autograph sessions, etc. Both are free and open to the public. Like Adman said...I think a brake tap is in order here...

• Upvote 2

I am a 1000++++ donor and I don't give a rats butt about going to any practices. I don't care about the cheesy gifts that I get from the MGClub. What I do care about is looking at an athletic center that I donated money to help build. It makes me smile. I care about a stadium that I donated money to help build. That makes me smile too. I care about the fact that my money is going to fund scholarships and give young men and women opportunities to get an education that they otherwise might not be able to afford. That makes me smile, that is all I need. You really think that six figure gifts are coming in because of being invited to practice. NO NO NO.

What those gifts are about are giving our coaches and kids the best tools that they can have to succeed at what they do, all the while making this place as good as any in the country when it comes to facilities. This includes game day facilities, practice facilities, and academic tools to make sure that the 99% of kids that play here that will not play professionally will complete their education.

I will admit that the numbered parking spot at Apogee is pretty cool.

If McCarney says to close practice, then close practice. He makes his living coaching, not me.

PERFECT...I would give you 1000 +1's if I could. Thanks for your support and the fact that you "get it". I only wish we had 100,000 more supporters just like you. But, I'll do what I can...and I know you will as well...to help move this program forward and support UNT and our student-athletes in a positive manner.

This (flyonthewall) post folks...this post 1000 times over. Hall of Fame worthy...

• Upvote 2

Are you a $1000 + donor? I hope you are. If you're not though why don't you let the $1000+ donors worry about attending practices.

Also the link you provided says $1000+ will be invited to A closed practice (not plural). Seems like a season worth of football will have a ton of closed practices so considering we've had exactly ONE practice this season perhaps a brake tap is in order.

Nope. I'm assuming you are, based on your authoritative post. That's great, and if you don't care about attending practices, fine. Maybe the vast majority of $1000 (or $1000 ++++) donors don't either. What I've got a problem with is an A.D. that lies to donors and potential donors. Again, I don't know if the allegations in this thread are true (which go back through last season, by the way, not just one practice). But I find it amazing that several of you would be just fine if the A.D. were to lie as a regular practice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4