Fall Practice

HoustonEagle

What makes me want to quit donating? Is threads like this. Who gives a flying f-ck. This program needs money and more fans. Neither of which hinge on whether fans can attend practice. I read threads like this and think to myself maybe it is time to quit throwing good money after bad. We will always be small time.

Unfortunately for me I have some sort of addiction to the hope of better days for the Mean Green. So I keep sending out the checks.

On a side note. My wife and her entire family attended Ohio State. My father in law and I give about the same amount of money to our respective universities. He gets a bumper sticker and the right to buy 4 nose bleed seats on the 50 yard line. That's it!

What have I recieved? Well I get the right and do buy four club level seats that cost less than his nosebleed seats at the horseshoe. I have attended multiple events in Houston for donors and prospective donors. I have had dinner with the university president. I have had drinks with representatives from the athletic department in Houston. Not to mention the usual gifts from umbrellas to grill sets and so on. As I said before. I don't donate that much! Especially when compared with major universities. Yet here we are discussing the 5 fans that want to see a practice and at what giving level that should be. Instead let's discuss how being a Mean Green fan and donor is the best deal in college sports and according to the attendance and donor levels no one seems to give a crap. I could care less about open or closed practices. What I do care about is that at some point we either hit critical mass or people get tired of trying.

Ok that turned into a rant, sorry. Dear God please let this be a winning season

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I hope not given that fall officially begins on September 22.

Then the practices in question should be called "late summer practice".

And I hope that GrayEagle is mistaken about access to the practices being tied to your level of donation. Because if that's true, that's a good way to annoy and then discourage anyone who has not previously donated to the MGC. After all, North Texas alums are notorious about hating anything that even hints a elitism. Hence our almost universal hatred of $MU.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Then the practices in question should be called "late summer practice".

And I hope that GrayEagle is mistaken about access to the practices being tied to you level of donation. Because if that's true, that's a good way to annoy and then discourage anyone who has not previously donated to the MGC. After all, North Texas alums are notorious about hating anything that even hints a elitism. Hence our almost universal hatred of $MU.

Interesting logic. "I don't want to join that club because it will give me access to something others don't have access to". I don't know if it was intended to come across that way. I also hear complaints that there aren't enough MGC member only events. I guess you can't please everyone.

• Upvote 5

Interesting logic. "I don't want to join that club because it will give me access to something others don't have access to". I don't know if it was intended to come across that way. I also hear complaints that there aren't enough MGC member only events. I guess you can't please everyone.

No,the logic is "right now I can't afford any more than a $250.00 minimum donation, but that doesn't get me access to practices. They let those people who have more money than me attend practice. So, to hell with them!....I'm not joining at any level".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

No,the logic is "right now I can't afford any more than a $250.00 minimum donation, but that doesn't get me access to practices. They let those people who have more money than me attend practice. So, to hell with them!....I'm not joining at any level".

And if it goes the other way:

"WHAT?!?! I pay all of this money to be at a privileged level in the Mean Green Club, but any schmuck can just walk right up and watch practice? Where are the perks for my contribution?"

It's a lose-lose. You can't please everyone every time.

• Upvote 6

After all, North Texas alums are notorious about hating anything that even hints a elitism. Hence our almost universal hatred of $MU.

Actually, my dislike of SMU stems from my elitism. I think we're better than them.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

People who think this way will never join.

You join the Mean Green Club to support Mean Green athletics. Anything you get as a benefit is just that, an added benefit.

Do you want to be a major athletic program or not? Major donors at major athletic programs get benefits minor donors don't. That is the way major athletic programs work.

Or, we could keep doing things the way we have for the past 20 years. That seems to have worked out well...

• Upvote 6

People who think this way will never join.

You join the Mean Green Club to support Mean Green athletics. Anything you get as a benefit is just that, an added benefit.

Do you want to be a major athletic program or not? Major donors at major athletic programs get benefits minor donors don't. That is the way major athletic programs work.

Or, we could keep doing things the way we have for the past 20 years. That seems to have worked out well...

Benefits should be something like better parking etc. Something basic like viewing practice should not be tied to donations. Access to coaching staff after practices would be different. And it would satisfy some big doners desire to feel "exclusive"...........geez.. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

OK, let me lend a little clarity to what I posted. I was right about the $1,000 (Bronze Eagle) donation entitling you to attend practices. What I didn't remember was that it entitles you to attend closed practices. I think that we can assume that some (maybe many) of the practices will be open.

• Upvote 2

If you think someone who gives 100K to OU doesn't get to attend closed practice sessons, I got some swamp land to sell you. I'm upset, also, but I'm upset because all it takes is 1K to hit the sidelines in a closed practice.

That is embarassing for all of our alumni.

It just shocks me that people constantly b@#*& about not getting this or that for their donation (the yearly gripe about GMG club gifts come to mind, or the gripe about no party patio at the new stadium). Or, in this case, that people who donate a specific amount get a benefit others don't. If you want to stay a piss ant program, just continue down this merry path. After all, it has worked soooo well.

It's a donation to the athletic department. I don't expect anything in return. That's what happens when you donate.

I wonder if people on here demand social gatherings or pot luck Sunday brunch when they donate to their church.

Jeez.

I totally agree with you. The donation is a gift.

• Upvote 3

Before anyone tries to lecture/educate me on the subject of students/fans bitching about just about anything at North Texas, let me remind you that I am the author of the "wrinkled $100 bill" adage......as it applies to North Texas students/fans/alumni.

Well, I for one am not the least bit interested in what OU does.....except for how their band provides real pageantry for the pre-game and half time shows. I'm sure that anyone who gives 100K to their program gets to go anywhere he/she wants at the OU facility, and (within the boundaries of the law.....or maybe not) do whatever they want.

I don't care about being like OU except for the sell out parts and the financial commitment to the program part.

But if you think that our culture of never-to-casual-giving to the athletic department is going to change overnight by telling people that they are no longer allowed to watch fall practice, (in the stands and not bothering the coaching staff, whilst chatting with their friends AND politely greeting/welcoming the families of new players, LIKE THEY ALWAYS HAVE) ,unless they are now giving a minimum of X amount of dollars to the athletic program....then I'll see if I can find another financial planner named MADOFF (who is not in jail) that I can put you in touch with.

Since some of you value simplicity and clarity of message let me put it this way.

North Texas has struggled with it's culture of casualness/indifference regarding it's athletic programs ever since Hayden Fry arrived at North Texas. And BTW, that's longer ago than 20 years. Before Hayden arrived the administration at North Texas had not only NOT encouraged people to give to the school (athletic or otherwise) but they had OPENLY DISCOURAGED IT. And THAT is a lot of culture (70+ years) to overcome.

So until such time as we regularly fill up Apogee, and people are waiting in line to buy season tickets, we better not go out of our way to piss off any alumni over something as simple as sitting in the stands, or outside the fence of the practice facility, and visit with their friends whilst watching practice.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Booo hoooo hooooo waaaahhhhhh waaahhhhh wahhhhhhh

I agree maybe we should be more like Tarleton State then OU. Makes sense to me.

Hell, I've been a Ciwboys fan since birth and have spent at least $1000 on the 'boys. I think that I should be allowed to any Valley Ranch practice I want!!!

• Upvote 2

If only we could get as many people to the games as we used to get to the practices...allegedly.

I have been to a few practices in the past...other than for scrimmages, I can't recall seeing more than, and I will be generous here, 50 people (usually about 5-15 fans from this board and a few parents of players that lived in the metroplex).

I don't disagree with the notion that we shouldn't be doing anything to piss off fans. I just think fans need to respect the wishes of the coaching staff on this one and let their anticipation build for game day. I just thank the Lord daily for providing this invaluable internet "suggestion box" to voice all of our complaints.

And SE, I owe you appreciation for providing the inspiration for my avatar!

GMG

• Upvote 2

Pretty good summary here of the attitude many so-called "fans" of the Mean green have and a prime example of why UNT struggles so much to fill seats and raise funds...this "what's in it for me" attitude is so hard to counter...UNT fans who give $125 want $250 worth of tangible benefits it seems, and seem to always be jealous of those who give more and thus get a higher level of "benefit" as fans do all over the college sports world....why not be glad that some folks can and do give more...thank them for their support and be happy with what you can do yourself?

I know Silver contributes and shows up at the football games...so, let's not dump on Silver here...I'm not directing this at Silver, but rather at the attitude expressed in the above comments which seem to prevail all across the UNT universe.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It was mentioned somewhere else in this thread already, but the benefit in question applies to "closed practices". I haven't seen anything that breaks out the # of closed vs open practices. People may be getting bent out of shape over a handfull of practices. I don't think we know yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It was mentioned somewhere else in this thread already, but the benefit in question applies to "closed practices". I haven't seen anything that breaks out the # of closed vs open practices. People may be getting bent out of shape over a handfull of practices. I don't think we know yet.

I recall DMac saying that all Spring practices were open, but all (or most) fall practices are closed.

And, yes, this affects about 50 people who actually want to attend practice. I would bet this was not a determining factor in one single person deciding against giving at the $250 level.

• Upvote 2

I hardley ever see anyone at practices, even other parents. Parents have to notify the coaching staff they are going to be there and see a specific individual or you don't get in. Most you see in the stands or on the/sideline is a former player or two or maybe a guest of the coaches. Don't know anything about MGC members being there. .

I don't know of any other university in Texas that has open pracitces in the Fall. You certianly cannot watch ATMs,Baylors or UTs. I know membership in the 12thMan Foundation doesn't get you anything but a car sticker.

Don't really know what all the hubbub is about. Practices are boring to watch. If I didn't have a vested interest I certainly wouldn't be there and I am a die hard football nut as there is.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 6

I don't know of any other university in Texas that has open pracitces in the Fall. You certianly cannot watch ATMs,Baylors or UTs. I know membership in the 12thMan Foundation doesn't get you anything but a car sticker.

Don't really know what all the hubbub is about. Practices are boring to watch. If I didn't have a vested interest I certainly wouldn't be there and I am a die hard football nut as there is.

Haven't you heard? We have worked long and hard to be nothing like UT, TAM, and OU, and, by god, we don't need to go a changin now!! - sarcasm tag.

And I completely agree. UNT couldn't pay me to attend a football practice. Hell, I wouldn't have gone to the spring game if not for tailgating and a little music.

Now games, those are completely different!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1