A Defense of The Divide in Our Fans

UNTpolitico

I think we can all agree we are at a low point for our Athletic program. I think we can also agree as fans we are divided as to what is the best way to voice our frustrations. Some have chose a banner and now are rallying for a billboard, this is a route in the spirit of full disclosure I will concede I have supported both on the board, and the billboard financially. Although I will concede as well I don't know if it will change anything. I don't think it's detrimental to our program or an embarrassment that the fans care. I will admit until this year I never got involved in the board I browsed casually and never felt compelled to contribute any commentary. I was apathetic to our program like so many other alumni. I met my best friends and had some of the greatest times at North Texas I proudly sport the green in airports public and around the country. I have had more conversations in the past few months with disengaged alumni about athletics recently than ever before. With a few exceptions including a few on this board the folks I went to school with are mostly disengaged, this controversy this divide this attention to the program, even if you disagree or are following it for comedic relief is bringing people back to looking at our Alma Mater's athletics. I personally have believed and vocalized my support for things like improved athletic facilities, a new stadium and putting more skin in the game on our coaching decision. I think the debate the divide the blame at this point is a good thing Mac and RV are just catalyst for a long overdue uprising by a thirsty fan base. No matter what side you are on I encourage all alum to keep the conversation going keep it going on the board, keep it going with your fellow alum with alum you meet on the street. Let's bring alum back to apogee, lets hire a new coach, lets recruit and that's all of us always be asking 'Why not North Texas?', let's make ourselves part of the conversation in the mid majors and strive to be a powerhouse. These type of things will take the support of students, alums, administrators and donors. Lets start moving a mountain one shovel full at a time.. Let's get some people involved in North Texas Athletics.. 

Rant over..

• Upvote 4

The discourse (be it civil or otherwise) shows that fans do care and support. The vocalization of displeasure or support of current management is, believe it or not, a positive sign. I believe that it's similar to the belief of relationship centered psychologists/therapists that arguments and bickering is actually a positive sign, that being communication with each other, evidence that there is a desire to move forward. It's when all parties go dark on communication that all hope is lost, as apathy has set in. What I see is a (albeit small) passionate fan base who ultimately want the same goal- a successful athletic department that forges a sense of community and pride in a school of which we are a part of. The parties are just going about it in two different ways- those who believe that the answer is currently in place and we  just need to give him time to get him where we want and the other side is a group who believes that a new direction is necessary to get the program to the destination we feel is reachable.

• Upvote 2

Our fans care no matter what side they are on. Whether or not the fans come back in any large numbers any time soon is suspect. The university, however, doesn't seem to care. Nothing has changed. They fired the coach, they are searching for a new one, and they are setting the new one up for failure. The president has done nothing. The athletic director circled his wagons to keep his job. They chased away long time supporters and many won't return at least in the short term. The football program is one of the worst in the country now and recruiting is in serious trouble. 

It's pretty simple, there will be no divide if change doesn't happen because one half of the divide won't return, leaving the other half cheering in an empty stadium along side RV and his few supporters who will eventually bail too. 

This situation is really bad.

• Upvote 2