Wednesday night notes (UNT helmet hint?)

Texas Stranger

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I hope we are using SOW, but I'll believe it when I see it. The team picture taken a few days ago had the "North Texas" helmet in it. I bet we see that more than SOW this season, and if that happens it pretty much proves RV wrong when he says he really doesn't care what's on the helmet.

If we do see the SOW, they need to size down the logo, add a black border and black face mask on a matte green helmet. The helmet pictured looks plain and amateurish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the SOW is being used. No need to hope for it. Trust me.

You've stated before the helmets will change. I'm assuming you have a great source on this by the looks of your confidence.

If so, is this going to be the new permanent helmet, or are we still using the text helmet as the main helmet?

Buncha y'all are gonna hate me for this but...

Matte helmets suck.

After the first hit and scratch, they look tired and torn up so much quicker than a normal glossy finish. When the matte clear coat gets gouged and worn the shiny color coat underneath shows through and it looks all splotchy. This is especially true with the linemen, who's shells get scuffed and beat up enough. Logo stickers don't adhere as well on a matte finish and get ripped off during a game. All it takes is one edge near a vent start lifting and dirt, grass and turf pellets get in under the glue and it's toast. So much un-necessary helmet maintenance for the equipment folks to deal with. For a bowl game or other special one-off occasion, it doesn't matter. As a regular, season-long helmet, its a terrible choice.

There are a ton of high school programs around that have started using a matte helmet as they normal helmet and it's bad. They wind up looking like a middle school B team really fast. The worst are the teams that do a white matte helmet. It looks clean and fresh for the kickoff of week 1, but then they pick up every single speck of dirt they can. By the middle of October they have gray shells instead of white.

The Coach Mac Era helmets have a bit of metal flake in the paint (so did the Dickey Bowl Era dark green helmets, in fact a bit more than we currently use). This includes the normal white face mask shells and the black SOW Halloween ones. I wish we'd step up the metal flake to make us stand out. Old Dominion and UTSA are doing matte helmets, so we need to stand above them.

Maybe it's just the hot rod guy in me, but something like this with a ton of metal flake would look killer with the SOW on it.

v2.JPG

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1