SWT begins constrution on next phase of stadium

PlummMeanGreen

Sure sounds a heck of a lot better than Texas Southern! Our only OCC home game next year at this point!!!

Big time stadium and still the small time mind-set? I never, never, never thought this new stadium would take the stripes off that ol' zebra of "still operating and marketing the way we have mostly done it the last 15 or so years" and with many of the same cast. The first game will not sell out on the basis of our having a new stadium if some think it will. The game is on ESPN which makes it even tougher to sell out. I have left that Saturday open on my usual DJ wedding and events schedule and 2 or 3 of us older nestors from Parker County plan to attend the UH game.

Yet.................Texas Southern of the SWAC? Please, please, please tell me you are joking about the Tigers as a football oponent in our new stadium. TSU is a fine school (with a fine law school) off Wheeler Street in Houston but shouldn't be the opponent for a home game at the new football palace some have waited almost till that great gettin' up morning to see finally materialize in Denton.

The SBC gives us a regular menu of lower tier FBS school on our annual schedule, but more Houstons and Indiana's should be the ones we are aiming to schedule at the new MGS so when Coach Mac does get us a good team in Denton better OOC home games would help us rise in the rankings that just beating upper echelon Sun Belt teams alone will never allow such to happen. In 10 years of SBC play, it hasn't yet gotten one of our teams a Top 25 ranking (when maybe we should have had at least one IMO). The MAC has been there a few times, but have been in business longer than the SBC, too.

The new stadium will buy some time (and a helluva' bunch of passes) for some up there, but one has to wonder why multi-year staffers cannot get bigger jobs elsewhere and give North Texas a chance for new blood, ie, a new "so called" school of thought and fresh ideas and who knows, maybe even newbies with more FBS & upward contacts with the caliber of schools the Mean Green need to be playing in our new stadium. Worse case scenario is to have piss ant OOC schedules which would ultimately negate the whole upwardly bound spirit of having a new stadium in the first place. Bringing across the interstate what we already had at Fouts Field the last decade or so would be a disaster and make some wonder "why did they build that stadium to bring THOSE kind of teams into Denton.

Just sayin' how I know others of you also feel on this subject.

GMG!

PS: I read in the (I believe it was a San Antonio newspaper) where Texas State wants to expand what they will have soon to a 34,000 seat stadium as quickly as they can.:no: Wonder who those TSU'ers have their sights aimed toward passing up with that? :blink:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is going to be a nice venue when complete. Wish we could talk them into coming to the Belt

SM Record

It would be nice to have them in our conference. Good in state rivalry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

After their expanded stadium debut game with Texas Tech, the rest of the schools they tout in the article are quite uneventful. In the DJ business, you quickly learn the songs that will fill the dance floor versus the ones that will empty it, so I know many may wonder how UNT's future OOC home game future scheduling is shaping up after UH and Indiana?

I drove past their stadium over the weekend. Earth movers were hard at work. They also have an enormous banner on the outside of what I guess is their basketball facility. It had the bobcat logo and a giant WAC logo and read something like "Here we come in 2012".

It was a little hard not to be excited for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

After their expanded stadium debut game with Texas Tech, the rest of the schools they tout in the article are quite uneventful. In the DJ business, you quickly learn the songs that will fill the dance floor versus the ones that will empty it, so I know many may wonder how UNT's future OOC home game future scheduling is shaping up after UH and Indiana?

I don't know that we wouldn't take Nevada or La Tech at our new place? Those would draw well

• Downvote 1

I don't know that we wouldn't take Nevada or La Tech at our new place? Those would draw well

Sure sounds a heck of a lot better than Texas Southern! Our only OCC home game next year at this point!!!

• Upvote 3

The new TSU-SM stadium will be nice, but even when completely done will not even be in the same league as the new UNT stadium. If you drive by it, the press box is really nice, but the rest of it (a lot of it will not change during the expansion) really isn't anything to get too excited about.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

Eight posts in and I still can't figure out why this is in the New Mean Green Stadium forum.

I agree! Why do we find a need to promote someone elses stadium improvements on our own Stadium thread?

Please remove this topic and thread from this forum. Please, it has absolutely no business being on this forum. This is about "our stadium" which some of us have waited decades to see come to fruition.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

I'm glad for them but after the expansion 44% of their seats will be in the one endzone ... sort of like Fouts.

and Kyle Field

• Upvote 1

Big time stadium and still the small time mind-set? I never, never, never thought this new stadium would take the stripes off that ol' zebra of "still operating and marketing the way we have mostly done it the last 15 or so years" and with many of the same cast. The first game will not sell out on the basis of our having a new stadium if some think it will. The game is on ESPN which makes it even tougher to sell out. I have left that Saturday open on my usual DJ wedding and events schedule and 2 or 3 of us older nestors from Parker County plan to attend the UH game.

Yet.................Texas Southern of the SWAC? Please, please, please tell me you are joking about the Tigers as a football oponent in our new stadium. TSU is a fine school (with a fine law school) off Wheeler Street in Houston but shouldn't be the opponent for a home game at the new football palace some have waited almost till that great gettin' up morning to see finally materialize in Denton.

The SBC gives us a regular menu of lower tier FBS school on our annual schedule, but more Houstons and Indiana's should be the ones we are aiming to schedule at the new MGS so when Coach Mac does get us a good team in Denton better OOC home games would help us rise in the rankings that just beating upper echelon Sun Belt teams alone will never allow such to happen. In 10 years of SBC play, it hasn't yet gotten one of our teams a Top 25 ranking (when maybe we should have had at least one IMO). The MAC has been there a few times, but have been in business longer than the SBC, too.

The new stadium will buy some time (and a helluva' bunch of passes) for some up there, but one has to wonder why multi-year staffers cannot get bigger jobs elsewhere and give North Texas a chance for new blood, ie, a new "so called" school of thought and fresh ideas and who knows, maybe even newbies with more FBS & upward contacts with the caliber of schools the Mean Green need to be playing in our new stadium. Worse case scenario is to have piss ant OOC schedules which would ultimately negate the whole upwardly bound spirit of having a new stadium in the first place. Bringing across the interstate what we already had at Fouts Field the last decade or so would be a disaster and make some wonder "why did they build that stadium to bring THOSE kind of teams into Denton.

Just sayin' how I know others of you also feel on this subject.

GMG!

PS: I read in the (I believe it was a San Antonio newspaper) where Texas State wants to expand what they will have soon to a 34,000 seat stadium as quickly as they can.:no: Wonder who those TSU'ers have their sights aimed toward passing up with that? :blink:

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can't see why Rick Villereal, with his former contacts at Southern Miss, couldn't get USM to pay us a visit at the new Mean Green Stadium. He should be ashamed bringing Texas Southern to Denton when so many more FBS programs are out there.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Can't see why Rick Villereal, with his former contacts at Southern Miss, couldn't get USM to pay us a visit at the new Mean Green Stadium. He should be ashamed bringing Texas Southern to Denton when so many more FBS programs are out there.

it is indeed a sad time for unt football if the ad has to pad wins by scheduling fcs schools

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not much makes you happy with the AD, does it

i like the ad. i do not like scheduling home games with programs below our level. you do?

• Upvote 2

i like the ad. i do not like scheduling home games with programs below our level. you do?

Ditto...This is not a like or dislike RV thing here. Yet not sure what RV was thinking on the TSU schedule. Hopefully that game has a buyout clause and we can get out of it.

How many schools at our level and up would love a trip to an "easy access" Texas university for their recruiting? What happened to Army and Navy? That Navy pre-game fly-over was many of our's all time Top 10 highlights at Fouts Field over the decades.

How about a few Boston Colleges, more CUSA schools, top programs from the MAC or even an SEC team once again? We should have it etched in stone that North Texas "never" goes down an NCAA division for a home or away game. What would happen to our football season if (God forbid) we became part of a perfect storm or stars were all perfectly aligned and we lost such a game?

We have no idea how our 2011 team will do in the W/L dept. but coaches in their 2'nd year have many times not had very good 2'nd years. Fry's 2'nd North Texas team won a big whopping 2 games.:blink:

Just sayin...

• Upvote 2

I drove past their stadium over the weekend. Earth movers were hard at work. They also have an enormous banner on the outside of what I guess is their basketball facility. It had the bobcat logo and a giant WAC logo and read something like "Here we come in 2012".

It was a little hard not to be excited for them.

Thanks for the kind words. Surprising to many, we are extremely pumped for the opportunity to play in the WAC even with UTA soon joining the conference as a non-football member.

The banner you saw on Strahan is part of our transitional marketing campaign. "We Are Coming, WAC 2012"

Here are a few products of the WAC promotional campaign:

75122_462510719423_15951279423_5263658_3809764_n.jpg

208119_10150156301224424_15951279423_6342836_6550217_n.jpg

215484_10150156301414424_15951279423_6342837_6166250_n.jpg

215856_10150156301639424_15951279423_6342839_5193749_n.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Upon further review and after even listening to a couple of fellow alums, I, too, would not mind having Texas State U in the Sun Belt. I would prefer TSU over UTSA in fact. It would not hurt UNT to make that trip to San Marcos every 2 years and like it or not, fellow North Texans, we are going to be recruiting for some of the same players. I would not have said that had Coach Fran not taken that job. I think some of us might get a bit hacked if TSU gets to those 34,000 seats which one San Antonio paper said was on your AD's "make this happen soon" wish list while we sit on approx. 30,900.

The UH people have already gigged us about the initial size of our stadium but a few nestors on Harry's board :rolleyes: sorta' said that would begin to happen across the Lone Star State once 30K was settled on as our initial capacity. There are just some things in Lone Star State intercollegiate sports that are so predictable when it concerns stadium capacity as compared to others in our state and others with the size of UNT's enrollment, but I guess one needs to be more in tuned with Texas culture to know those kind of things.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When referencing the "ad," I was talking about the department, not Solely RV. I don't care for scheduling lower level schools, but just about every D1 program does it. That doesn't make it right, just saying many do, and it won't keep me from watching North Texas.

• Downvote 3