Mitchell Makes U19 Team

GreenBat

Thirteen players, including five with prior USA Basketball experience, were named Sunday as finalists for the 2011 USA Men’s U19 World Championship Team. The selections, which were made by the USA Basketball Junior National Team Committee, came after three-days, four training sessions, during the USA U19 Team training camp that got underway Friday. The USA squad will look to defend the gold medal won in 2009 at the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship that runs June 30-July 10 in Latvia.

Story

Picture

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm thrilled about this. Not only is it great publicity for NT basketball, but it is a great accomplishment for him personally, and it will also give him an awesome opportunity to get sharp again before he steps on the court in December. Hopefully they televise these games on ESPNU or something!

The U-19 squad is one step under the senior national team. How cool would it be if he was playing in the Olympics one day.

It looks like one more player is going to be cut before the roster is finalized. :(

Here is a quote from the head coach from a little farther down in the article:

"I think our inside players are tremendous. We have some good balance and some guys that can shoot the basketball. Obviously, it was a hard decision to come down to 13, and we still have to make one more decision before we go overseas."

Great for Tony!

The U.S. should go very far in this thing and that will give Tony plenty of reps against some of the best competition out there.

Glad he made it. He may have been rusty in December without this tournament to keep him sharp. Playing in the rec can only do so much for your game (virtually nothing for his game).

Was reviewing some NBA mock draft projections earlier today for this Thursdays draft. Decided to glance at next year's projections as well. (2012). Tony, in the only mock draft I looked at, is projected at #16 in the 1st round. (presently, guaranteed money)

I was following him on Twitter for about two days this past week. Has spent TV time watching the NBA draft combine for this year's draft. I've maintained that he would stay with UNT until his eligibility is up. I strongly feel this way still. Considering that many higher rated prospects chose to pass on this team (conflicts w/summer school), the fact that he may miss valuable school times, maybe an indicator that he may only be here 1 semester.

Of course, personal advisers will provide assistance with his stock value prior to the draft. Needs to work on his outside shot and ball handling skills to be a lock for the NBA. I also think how well he is doing in school will also be a factor.

if he's good enough to play in the nba and get drafted in a gauranteed money spot, there is no reason for him to stay.

What's with the negative waves? Think positive. Mitchell will play for North Texas and earn a degree from North Texas along the way.

• Upvote 1

How is that negative? If we have a guy on campus that is good enough to play in the NBA then more power to him. There is absolutely no way he plays 4 years for us and I'm okay with that. At least we'll get him for one, and MAYBE two. This will only help recruiting down the road. Also, the grades he makes at UNT will have absolutely nothing to do with his NBA chances. Derrick Rose didn't even take his own SAT test. Do you really think the bulls give a damn? This is the best basketball player we have ever had on campus and I can't wait for next season, but I don't expect him to be here for 3 years, much less 4, and I'm okay with that because I know he will accomplish big things while he is here. GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great news. But wouldn't that just be our luck to finally get someone of this caliber only to lose him after one half season to the NBA?

Rick

So enjoy the hell out of that half-season and worry about what could happen later.

Goodness, the pessimism on here could fill and cause the half-empty glass runneth-over.

• Upvote 5

So enjoy the hell out of that half-season and worry about what could happen later.

Goodness, the pessimism on here could fill and cause the half-empty glass runneth-over.

See, that is what has me worried. I am a pessimist (I used to be an optimist, but I am a lifelong Minnesota Vikings fan and that will beat the optimism out of anyone).

I am very excited/optimistic about the coming season, at least until my pessimism kicks in and I worry about our defense, rebounding and team chemistry. Even then, the first game of the season can't get here fast enough for me. This coming season looks to be the next big step in the right direction for a program that has been going in the right direction for some time now.

• Upvote 1

Great news. But wouldn't that just be our luck to finally get someone of this caliber only to lose him after one half season to the NBA?

Rick

I'll gladly take any recruit that wants to use UNT as a doorstep to the NBA. It's working pretty well for Kentucky.

• Upvote 1

I'll gladly take any recruit that wants to use UNT as a doorstep to the NBA. It's working pretty well for Kentucky.

Plus, imagine what it can do for recruiting when we can have the picture of a first round NBA draft pick on the wall somewhere. I think he will be here for a year and a half, but just the fact that he was here at all says something about our program and will help for a long, long time.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Other Tony Mitchells in the future will see that UNT is a viable avenue for high school superstars to get to the NBA. We don't want to build a program completely on one-and-dones, but if every couple years we can get one like that to put us over the top (i.e., make us a team with a legit shot to win in the NCAA tourney), why should we complain?

Hope the games are on TV somewhere. Since everyone's complaining, think I'll watch it at someone else's place, since I'm liable to throw something at the TV everytime I hear the word "Missouri" in conjunction with his name. Don't think my new Mitsubishi can handle all that pounding. :angry:

Tony Mitchell must really be special. Mr. Mitchell hasn't played at a competitive high level in over a year I'd think, and tries out for U19 against top talent, then boom makes the team. Since Tony made U18 team and understands the tournament, practice schedule, and travel, so I don't believe he'll be the player cut to get down to 12.

Go Tony...Go Mean Green!!!

So, I am confused here. unsure.gif

I just read an article, and saw a video that stated Alabama's standout player's, JaMychal Green and Tony Mitchell were invited out west this summer to compete for 12 spots on Team USA that will play in the World University games in China.

So, have we been talking about the wrong Tony Mitchell all along?? This was NOT the NT Tony Mitchell??

Alabama's Tony Mitchell and USA Basketball

So, I am confused here. unsure.gif

I just read an article, and saw a video that stated Alabama's standout player's, JaMychal Green and Tony Mitchell were invited out west this summer to compete for 12 spots on Team USA that will play in the World University games in China.

So, have we been talking about the wrong Tony Mitchell all along?? This was NOT the NT Tony Mitchell??

Alabama's Tony Mitchell and USA Basketball

I'm pretty sure we've got the right Mitchell for the U19 championships in Latvia. The Alabama Tony Mitchell is a six six sophomore. That is a bit confusing. Especially since they're both training in Colorado. Two Tony Mitchell's just like there are two Tristan Thompson's. Hopefully it's confusing enough to where they'll draft our Tristan Thompson in the 1st round tomorrow night.

Vito did a story on Tony Mitchell being invited to U19 tryout. I believe Vito spoke with Tony about the tryout personally when Tony was having dinner with someone at a local restaurant. Also, UNT's Tony Mitchell was on the U18 US team and in the U19 article it's mentioned that only 2 returning players are trying out for the U19 squad, one of those players being Tony Mitchell.

I definitely believe UNT's Tony Mitchell has made the U19 team and will be headed to Europe.

Go Tony...Go Mean Green!!!