Fall Practice

HoustonEagle

What makes me want to quit donating? Is threads like this. Who gives a flying f-ck. This program needs money and more fans. Neither of which hinge on whether fans can attend practice. I read threads like this and think to myself maybe it is time to quit throwing good money after bad. We will always be small time.

Unfortunately for me I have some sort of addiction to the hope of better days for the Mean Green. So I keep sending out the checks.

On a side note. My wife and her entire family attended Ohio State. My father in law and I give about the same amount of money to our respective universities. He gets a bumper sticker and the right to buy 4 nose bleed seats on the 50 yard line. That's it!

What have I recieved? Well I get the right and do buy four club level seats that cost less than his nosebleed seats at the horseshoe. I have attended multiple events in Houston for donors and prospective donors. I have had dinner with the university president. I have had drinks with representatives from the athletic department in Houston. Not to mention the usual gifts from umbrellas to grill sets and so on. As I said before. I don't donate that much! Especially when compared with major universities. Yet here we are discussing the 5 fans that want to see a practice and at what giving level that should be. Instead let's discuss how being a Mean Green fan and donor is the best deal in college sports and according to the attendance and donor levels no one seems to give a crap. I could care less about open or closed practices. What I do care about is that at some point we either hit critical mass or people get tired of trying.

Ok that turned into a rant, sorry. Dear God please let this be a winning season

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

My last two cents on this subject... You donate money to the MCG to give back to your university, not to receive perks... As Winston Churchill said "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."

Anyone who cancels there MGC because they didnt get invited to a closed practice, doesnt understand the art of giving

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

My last two cents on this subject... You donate money to the MCG to give back to your university, not to receive perks... As Winston Churchill said "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."

Anyone who cancels there MGC because they didnt get invited to a closed practice, doesnt understand the art of giving

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

Well said!

This is not about the act of giving. Or anyone's motive. No one has disputed that.

This is about potential bad business practice...and taste. If you say you're going to do something, and retract it after the fact, it looks petty. Or tacky. Find whatever adjective you want.

It's not good.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The brochure states "PRACTICE", singular, not plural. Last year there was an invite sent out letting you attend a "CLOSED" Basketball practice. Whether any other practices are closed or not doesn't matter because this "ONE" practice was closed to everyone except Mean Green Club Donors at the $1000 level or above. MGC Membership is for a 12 month period, from August 1 through July 31st and is not specific to one sport. MGC Membership helps ALL Student Athletes and their particular teams. The perk listed on the benefit chart was fulfilled last year and it appears that Football and Basketball will be included this year but that is not offical. If this Perk is the deal breaker to join the MGC at the $1000 level or above, then I strongly encourage you to contact someone in the Athletic Development Department directly to get the official word and let them address your concern! GMG!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This is not about the act of giving. Or anyone's motive. No one has disputed that.

This is about potential bad business practice...and taste. If you say you're going to do something, and retract it after the fact, it looks petty. Or tacky. Find whatever adjective you want.

It's not good.

I'm sure they'll hire a lawyer for every document they print out... There might even be something in small print stating something

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not good.

Thank you for actually "getting it".

No one wants to keep pointing out areas that need help. But if those who love this program and care enough to see this program grow doesn't, who will?

And again, I know countless $1,000 plus donors, including those I rep'ed for last year. None of them received a thing about an invite to any practice.

And I could be wrong on this, but I can't imagine why anyone would consider a basketball practice invite a "Benefit" when you can walk in and watch just about any other basketball practice day you want? Who reads the benefit chart in June and August and thinks to their self..."Wow, an invite to a basketball practice". Sorry, newbie, I'm just not buying that one.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 16

Well, goodness gracious. I received just over an hour ago an invitation to a closed football practice! Thursday, August 23rd @ 4:30.

Amazing what shining a little light will do isn't it?

Now if we can simply get those emails and phone messages for ticket requests returned, and start printing basketball tickets for big home games a little earlier, and.....

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

Since we have your attention, could you give us a hint at what the AD dept's promotion for selling out the Texas Southern game will be?

Rick

I see what you did there. :zoro: Once again, what you think you know is completely incorrect.

Promotion - We're playing the ONLY Football on Tuesday Night at Apogee in front of a National Audience. That right there folks is one helluva promotion!

• Upvote 1

I see what you did there. :zoro: Once again, what you think you know is completely incorrect.

Promotion - We're playing the ONLY Football on Tuesday Night at Apogee in front of a National Audience. That right there folks is one helluva promotion!

Hey, Im just asking. Since it took 12 months (YOUR EXPLANATION, NOT MINE) to work up an invite to a basketball game that anyone could go to anyways as a donation benefit I thought I would see what's cooking for TEXAS SOUTHERN since its right around the corner. But if the sight is instead set towards an 8 p.m. kickoff on a Tuesday night as a "SELF PROMOTER" then that answers my question.

Thank you,

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I wasn't aware we were playing Texas Southern on a Tuesday. Still, nice job of avoiding the question. And ESPN coverage isn't an AD promotion, there are schools who have been playing on TV for years and still go all out to push tickets for these games. Wow, that's about all I can say about that low rent mentality.

P.S.- This thread reminds me of a woman who does circus tricks in the bedroom until AFTER the wedding...then tells you, "If you married me for great sex you don't understand the spirit of marriage".

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Hey, Im just asking. Since it took 12 months (YOUR EXPLANATION, NOT MINE) to work up an invite to a basketball game that anyone could go to anyways as a donation benefit I thought I would see what's cooking for TEXAS SOUTHERN since its right around the corner. But if the sight is instead set towards an 8 p.m. kickoff on a Tuesday night as a "SELF PROMOTER" then that answers my question.

Thank you,

Rick

Back to Reading 101 for me! The Tuesday night game is Not TSU, I knew that, my bad! I can admit my mistakes, how about you for once. Concerning the Opening game promotion, can't answer that one. If you're concerned and really want an answer, drop a line to the Development folks. I don't need a promotion but I understand the importance of getting people into Apogee for the TSU game especially when you have so much disinformation floating around from certain INDIVIDUALS.

I really appreciate you trying to twist the facts, some won't ever change their spots. I'll attempt to clarify my response since I've confused you. Basketball Closed Practice invite happened last year, no matter how much you want that to not be the case. They weren't able to work out the Football Practice with Coach Mac twelve months ago. Twelve months later, done deal for Football and I suspect they will have round two for Basketball this year. That would be two invites to closed practices in one GMC membership year as opposed to only one (Men's Basketball) last year. I'll be attending the closed Football practice this year on the 24th. Twelve months from now, I'm sure you'll say it didn't happen. I think I'll keep my invite just in case. GMG!

• Upvote 5

It's really bad when people have their private little pity and gripe parties interrupted by the facts. Really, folks...time to stop even trying to get some folks to "lighten up". You prove them wrong in one area and off they go to another little poop party...it's a no win situation.

So, let's hope the multitudes that think seeing a closed practice is the best thing since sliced bread all show up...I hope someone takes roll to see if the folks who complained the loudest actually show up....they are all $1000+ per year donors, right?

Really glad to see we can all put this little gripe behind us and move on...cannot wait to see what the pet complaint becomes next. What next "lie" will be uncovered by our crack Mean Green Club detectives next????? Too funny! :goodjob::lolu::stuff::notfair:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Back to Reading 101 for me! The Tuesday night game is Not TSU, I knew that, my bad! I can admit my mistakes, how about you for once. Concerning the Opening game promotion, can't answer that one. If you're concerned and really want an answer, drop a line to the Development folks. I don't need a promotion but I understand the importance of getting people into Apogee for the TSU game especially when you have so much disinformation floating around from certain INDIVIDUALS.

I really appreciate you trying to twist the facts, some won't ever change their spots. I'll attempt to clarify my response since I've confused you. Basketball Closed Practice invite happened last year, no matter how much you want that to not be the case. They weren't able to work out the Football Practice with Coach Mac twelve months ago. Twelve months later, done deal for Football and I suspect they will have round two for Basketball this year. That would be two invites to closed practices in one GMC membership year as opposed to only one (Men's Basketball) last year. I'll be attending the closed Football practice this year on the 24th. Twelve months from now, I'm sure you'll say it didn't happen. I think I'll keep my invite just in case. GMG!

I didn't realize pointing out a problem that need addressing, that a donation benefit was not being realized by several donors was twisting a fact? Your boss sure didn't think so when he was approached about it by a major donor in Hot Springs. But what ever you say.

Hopefully we're working on something to promote the TSU and ULL games.

As for approaching the department to help, that was done last week by another one of our donors and was quickly dismissed with a "We Got It".

I won't even begin to address what "Dropping A Line" has gotten people over the years, so I won't.

Just curious, by my pointing out that the current link to the online benefits page still has Karen Aston and Johnny Jones on it, is that twisting a fact?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

For those counting, that means we are on par for twice as many closed practice invitations this year than committed in the benefits flyer. Last year the singular practice invitation commitment was met.

I really not convinced it was met last year. Almost anyone reading that would understand the "closed practice invitation" as a closed football practice invitation. The efforts to make sure that donors at the corresponding level are invited to a closed football practice indicate that the A.D. intended it to mean that as well.

But that efforts are being made is a good sign. Maybe some things happened last year that wouldn't allow the "open closed practice" to happen. As long as the A.D. does their very best to make sure it doesn't happen again, I'm O.K. with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2