First day on the job, UNT president Dr. Neal Smatresk talks with Izzy

Harry

The new University of North Texas president Dr. Neal Smatresk talks with Cynthia Izaguirre on his first day on the job. Smatresk was formerly the president of the Univeristy of Nevada:

http://www.wfaa.com/featured-content/unt-president-neal-smatresk-denton-college-tuition-243315321.html

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes, a somewhat disappointing interview. Cynthia is a great NT fan, but the tone of this interview was not appropriate for a first day President. I wonder if Cynthia was directed to address college affordability as the focus.

• Upvote 1

Not fair at all. To make statements like "hundreds of thousands in debt" and relate that to someone that attends UNT is asinine. If you accrued that type of debt to attend school in Denton then you better have a PhD under your belt.

She also botched his name over and over and you could see him smirk at it. Not a great start for you relationship with him Izzy.

Not fair at all. To make statements like "hundreds of thousands in debt" and relate that to someone that attends UNT is asinine. If you accrued that type of debt to attend school in Denton then you better have a PhD under your belt.

She also botched his name over and over and you could see him smirk at it. Not a great start for you relationship with him Izzy.

After watching the interview again I see where you're coming from. "Hundreds of thousands in debt" was an exaggerated statement and it was not a warm welcoming topic to discuss along with her aggressive tone and follow-up questions.

• Upvote 1

Felt almost as if Izzy comes from that "in between bracket" (like many do) between "full-federal aid eligible" and "my parent's can pay for this", and had a bone to pick with such.

----

Also, how lazy was that B-roll? Set up a tripod in the Art Building parking lot and just swivel to shots of cars and the rears of buildings? La-zy.

• Upvote 2

I agree that the choice of interview questions was not good. She just kept badgering him on tuition costs even after he answered the question.

"That wasn't the question. do you like your job?"

She was terrible! Take the most affordable university in the area and rail the brand new president about tuition?

She can over pronounce her name all day, but can't learn his? Wtf?

• Upvote 4

That was a terrible interview. I could think of about 80 other things she could have chosen to talk about, especially with her headline of raising the reputation of the university. She talked too much, the pictures looked like the entire campus did circa 1986. That shot could have been in the radio shack add. Tragic and not a solid effort on her part at all.

Best part - GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 2