C-USA 2013 Football Home/Away is released

smoothfresh

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Perhaps you should compare SMU's home OOC schedule to ours.

Just sayin..,

SMU

Home: Boise State, UCF, UConn, Temple. (0 Texas schools)

Away: at Houston, at Memphis, at San Diego State, at USF (2 drivable)

NORTH TEXAS

HOME – Middle Tennessee, Rice, UTEP, UTSA (3 Texas schools)

AWAY – at Louisiana Tech, at Southern Miss, at Tulane, at Tulsa (4 drivable)

playing at Texas A&M and at TCU are loads of fun. SMU is gonna lose by 40+ again in College Station and likely 21+ in Fort Worth. A&M only plays the series because they like the presence in Dallas and giving their fans a 9th HOME game every other year.

and yes, I'd love to have Tech ('13), Baylor('13), A&M ('12), TCU ('12) at Apogee, and I really hope we're somehow working on making that happen, even if it's 2 road games in exchange for 1 home game, BUT i also know our program needs to win. We could possibly go 3-1 w/ our conference schedule. SMU, in all reality, will go 0-4

SMU

Home: Boise State, UCF, UConn, Temple. (0 Texas schools)

Away: at Houston, at Memphis, at San Diego State, at USF (2 drivable)

NORTH TEXAS

HOME – Middle Tennessee, Rice, UTEP, UTSA (3 Texas schools)

AWAY – at Louisiana Tech, at Southern Miss, at Tulane, at Tulsa (4 drivable)

I hope that the nBE stays at 10 teams for a few years and does not break into more regional divisions and give SMU/Houston more regional games. I know I am probably not supposed to, but I like our schedule better than theirs. Even with their OOC. What real good would it do for us to get slaughtered by some power schools right now? Take care of business for a few years with the teams in our division and winnable OOC games and let's see where we are in 3-4 years. Our focus needs to be on going to a bowl at least half of the time. Racking up losses against teams we have no shot against doesn't help. We will get there, but we are not there yet.

I count 5 possible wins. At home against UTSA and UTEP (only because we have them at home), on the road S.Miss., Tulane, and La Tech.

Just because they are winnable, that doesn't mean we win them.

We had 7 or 8 winnable games on the schedule last year.

So you think we lose to Idaho? At home?

http://www.govandals.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=87197&SPID=10352&DB_OEM_ID=17100&Q_SEASON=2012

Edited by emmitt01

I feel bad for USM with who that got put in their home games. I don't know who the p.o.

Well they got 4 schools coming over from the Belt, some of them coming out of a bad year (particularly the Florida schools). I can actuallly immagine that their AD was asking for something like that in the (possibly false) hope the get his home fans some Ws, since 2012 was woefully short on those for USM.

I knew we would be seeing a schedule like this for a while, but now it is really sinking in. This schedule, Apogee stadium, and watching our new recruits turn down offers from Kansas State and canceling trips to TCU, are all signs pointing to one thing. North Texas is a program on the rise.

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 1

Great schedule and our recruiting efforts are looking good at this point. I'm starting to get excited, cautiously excited, but excited. New Orleans is gong to be fun with Tulsa and La Tech being just far enough away to be really neat road trips.

• Upvote 1

I just knew when i posted that yours would be the first "negative' response - just sayin'.

I know this is going to blow your mind - and those with similar leanings - but for a multitude of reasons, we are not comparable to SMU.........good, bad, or indifferent, they have a football history that we can only dream about........and it pains me to say so, but in spite of the death penalty - and poor attendance - and some mediocre seasons beginning four years or so and going back - their status as a football school is greater than ours.

That, my friend, has a lot to do with their ability to pull relatively quality opponents to Ford Stadium; not their AD.

I hope we get there someday, but we ARE NOT there right now.

Yep, we ARE NOT where that storied program Monroe is, correct?

That is just one of many, many examples of freaking Sun Belt teams that manage to get schools that people give 2 S's about to play at THEIR stadium.

And, of course, we keep playing them on the road.

We all talk about and want a signature win. Where is that signature win more likely to happen, in your own stadium or on the road? In your own stadium, of course. But it can't happen if your AD can't figure out a way to schedule OOC home games against big names every once in a while. Apogee was supposed to change that dynamic. Still waiting (and will be until 2019, thanks to a terrible 2-0 series with Iowa).

It is no wonder that there is no sense of urgency around this program when folks are satisfied with just 6 home games, no matter who those home games are against.

I really think we should expect just a little bit more.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I've asked before without a response. How are the Iowa games any different than any of the other payday games. Are you suggesting that we simply signed 2 away games for no pay and no return game?
What the Iowa games do is eliminate our ability to negotiate any home and homes or even 2 for 1 series until 2019 at the very earliest. That series was signed after we knew Apogee was on the way.

We essentially filled the negotiable open spots on our schedule with 2 money games. 1990s thinking at its best.

I expect us to be good before 2019. When we are good, I want to beat someone that matters. The best opportunity to do that is if you play someone that matters at your stadium.

We won't be able to do that until 2019 at the earliest.

And people will say there are out clauses in contracts. Sure there are. When is the last time WE paid the out clause to get out of a game?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I hear you on the desire to eliminate the payday games and require home/home. That would be preferable. Until we reach that point, it looks like we have shifted from 2 payday gams and 2 home/home series to 2 home/home series, 1 payday away game, and 1 paid home game planned for the next several years. We are probably going to have to bite the bullet somewhere in the next couple of years and only have 5 home games one year unless something changes.

We have room for a home/home in 2014/2015, but would mean that one of those years we will only have 5 home games (maybe 2015 would work since we play at SMU and that could basically be a home game). Not ideal, but could work.

Count me as someone who likes the Iowa series. That's a big boy team that can actually be beaten (esp with DMac as our coach) since they aren't exactly a top 5 national program like we have been playing for the past 15 years (OU, UT, LSU, Alabama).

If we waltz in there and win or come darn close to winning, they'll buy out the second game anyways...

• Upvote 1

Yep, we ARE NOT where that storied program Monroe is, correct?

That is just one of many, many examples of freaking Sun Belt teams that manage to get schools that people give 2 S's about to play at THEIR stadium.

And, of course, we keep playing them on the road.

We all talk about and want a signature win. Where is that signature win more likely to happen, in your own stadium or on the road? In your own stadium, of course. But it can't happen if your AD can't figure out a way to schedule OOC home games against big names every once in a while. Apogee was supposed to change that dynamic. Still waiting (and will be until 2019, thanks to a terrible 2-0 series with Iowa).

It is no wonder that there is no sense of urgency around this program when folks are satisfied with just 6 home games, no matter who those home games are against.

I really think we should expect just a little bit more.

I understand what you are saying - I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you are saying

but.......

When I read posting after posting after posting from UNT90 that is constantly negative toward this program - it is CONSTANT, not occasional - then after a while the credibility and effectiveness of your postings have shot their wad!

Suggestion: Intersperse a few positive postings about the UNT athletic program here-and-there and people - including those at 1301 Bonnie Brae - will tend to pay attention. Believe me, that is fact!

Your postings were very enjoyable and informative for a long time - I enjoyed reading them - but for the past year + your constant negativity toward the UNT athletic program...............

I guess I have never understood why anyone continues to see only the negative and STILL supposedly supports a program.

Honestly, if I felt the way you seem to feel toward this university's athletic program, I would move on to other things for which I have positive feelings - feelings that brought happiness rather than anguish and stress. Hell, you can't even find positive things to say about what most on here feel is a very good inaugural C-USA football schedule!

But to each his/her own........as a parting thought: I have a neighbor who is a chronic bitcher.......and she is happy as a clam because she always finds something to bitch about. Just say'in...

GMG

• Upvote 5

I understand what you are saying - I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you are saying

but.......

When I read posting after posting after posting from UNT90 that is constantly negative toward this program - it is CONSTANT, not occasional - then after a while the credibility and effectiveness of your postings have shot their wad!

Suggestion: Intersperse a few positive postings about the UNT athletic program here-and-there and people - including those at 1301 Bonnie Brae - will tend to pay attention. Believe me, that is fact!

Your postings were very enjoyable and informative for a long time - I enjoyed reading them - but for the past year + your constant negativity toward the UNT athletic program...............

I guess I have never understood why anyone continues to see only the negative and STILL supposedly supports a program.

Honestly, if I felt the way you seem to feel toward this university's athletic program, I would move on to other things for which I have positive feelings - feelings that brought happiness rather than anguish and stress. Hell, you can't even find positive things to say about what most on here feel is a very good inaugural C-USA football schedule!

But to each his/her own........as a parting thought: I have a neighbor who is a chronic bitcher.......and she is happy as a clam because she always finds something to bitch about. Just say'in...

GMG

Anguish and stress defines football season for me because I am a supporter of North Texas Football and Dallas Cowboys Football. I love it!!! Some day my teams will be back!!!

• Upvote 1

but.......

GMG

Well, apparently you miss a lot of my posts, including initially being very happy, and still pretty happy, with the move to CUSA.

And I guess you missed the posts preseason to basketball where I and everyone else were very high on the season. These are but a few of numerous examples.

Sometimes people just see what they wanna see.

I compliment when I feel it's deserved and I bitch when I feel it's deserved. I am not one the defends the AD no matter what and I'm not one to condemn the AD no matter what.

Scheduling has been a disaster. I hope it improves.

It's a message board, after all.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1