UNT, FIU, Utah State "done deals" for Alliance ?

MeanGreen61

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking but I don't have a lot hope for San Jose. I don't know much about them and most of that is bad.

They are in a fairly big market (Bay Area) and did get a visit from both commissioners. If 20 is the number, this is just my guess.

CUSA

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

UAB

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

UTEP

North Texas

Florida International

MWC

Colorado State

Fresno State

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico

Hawaii (FB only)

Utah State

San Jose State

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I can add to this as I received word last night from a source associated with the athletic department that that C-USA was on campus last week and UNT & FIU (No word on Utah State), are a done deal for 2013.

My guess is there will be an official announcement well before June.

• Upvote 4

So if those 3 are in, the real question is what UTEP is going to do?

It seems like they would only change affiliations if there is a full merger/new conference.

Full Merger:

MWC

Hawaii

Fresno State

UNLV

Nevada

Utah State

Colorado State

Air Force

New Mexico

Wyoming

UTEP???

CUSA

Tulsa

UNT

Rice

Tulane

LA Tech or UTSA???

Southern Miss

UAB

FIU

ECU

Marshall

Two Conference Scheduling Alliance:

MWC

Hawaii

Fresno State

San Jose State

UNLV

Nevada

Colorado State

Air Force

New Mexico

Wyoming

Utah State

CUSA

UTEP

Tulsa

UNT

Rice

Tulane

Southern Miss

UAB

FIU

ECU

Marshall

So if those 3 are in, the real question is what UTEP is going to do?

It seems like they would only change affiliations if there is a full merger/new conference.

Full Merger:

MWC

Hawaii

Fresno State

UNLV

Nevada

Utah State

Colorado State

Air Force

New Mexico

Wyoming

UTEP???

CUSA

Tulsa

UNT

Rice

Tulane

LA Tech or UTSA???

Southern Miss

UAB

FIU

ECU

Marshall

Two Conference Scheduling Alliance:

MWC

Hawaii

Fresno State

San Jose State

UNLV

Nevada

Colorado State

Air Force

New Mexico

Wyoming

Utah State

CUSA

UTEP

Tulsa

UNT

Rice

Tulane

Southern Miss

UAB

FIU

ECU

Marshall

UTSA will go east or west so in your Two Conference scenario you could replace San Jose with UTSA. Also, in your Full Merger scenario if UTEP would rather stay with the other Texas teams then UTSA could go west.

I've heard anything from UNT, FIU , Utah St to UNT, WKU & MTSU. The one constant is always UNT. I have no worries about us getting in.

From a personal preference I'd love La Tech based soley on the short drive. I think they could easily become our natural rival that we've always lacked

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please no UTSA.

My opposition to UTSA is two-fold.

One, they bring nothing that would enhance any conference. Media market? They rank 36th behind Hartford, CT, Nashville, TN, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, and Milwaukee, WI. Attendance? I don't think you can base that on one year of a new program. History? Zero. They are just another Hyphenated University.

Two... I guess I have a real problem that we have worked and scratched and clawed to try to get into C-USA for years and along comes this upstart program that has a change (small as it may be) to get in with us.

• Upvote 2

I'm torn on UTSA...

They haven't done anything yet, and probably wont for a long time. I think Texas has enough FBS schools already, and UTSA and Texas State don't need to be FBS.

On the other hand...

They are going to be an FBS team whether I like it or not, and another Texas team would be nice. I'd probably prefer traveling to San Antonio every other year. I can't say the same about Ruston.

Is neither an option?

• Upvote 3

Missouri State. And they'd be a great basketball addition.

Great addition. Our fanbase would much rather be in a league with Missouri State than Arkansas State or Middle Tennessee State. :rolleyes:

I'm not hoping UTSA gets added but if they do I'm fine with that. When both teams start winning games it could form in to an awesome rivalry. Having an in state rivalry a short drive away would be great for our program.

Who really cares how they got there and how we go there. Move on. Both are going places.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please no UTSA.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I don't doubt UTSA may have some potential and there may be a place for them.....5-10 years down the road.

I'll be happy with pretty much anything that gets us out of the Sunbelt but it will be a little deflating to go through all we've gone through to "move up" only to be joined by a program that's been around for about a week. And like I said before, if I'm Southern Miss, Tulsa, etc., I would be PISSED.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I don't doubt UTSA may have some potential and there may be a place for them.....5-10 years down the road.

I'll be happy with pretty much anything that gets us out of the Sunbelt but it will be a little deflating to go through all we've gone through to "move up" only to be joined by a program that's been around for about a week. And like I said before, if I'm Southern Miss, Tulsa, etc., I would be PISSED.

I agree. If it absolutely HAD to be one of the two I would vote for San Marcos. Not only do I think they're more deserving, but their campus is significantly easier for us to get to than the west side of San Antonio. Or the Alamodome for that matter. Plus based on my own personal experiences, the girls in San Marcos are a Hell of a lot hotter.

• Upvote 1

My opposition to UTSA is two-fold.

One, they bring nothing that would enhance any conference. Media market? They rank 36th behind Hartford, CT, Nashville, TN, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, and Milwaukee, WI. Attendance? I don't think you can base that on one year of a new program. History? Zero. They are just another Hyphenated University.

Two... I guess I have a real problem that we have worked and scratched and clawed to try to get into C-USA for years and along comes this upstart program that has a change (small as it may be) to get in with us.

My thoughts exactly, but I was too lazy to type it at the time.

• Upvote 1

UTSA will go east or west so in your Two Conference scenario you could replace San Jose with UTSA. Also, in your Full Merger scenario if UTEP would rather stay with the other Texas teams then UTSA could go west.

UTSA in the West? There's is absolutely nothing to support that.

Even if the runners are willing to whatever the alliance asks, why would the Pacific & Mountain Time Zones schools want that?

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 1

UTSA in the West? There's is absolutely nothing to support that.

Even if the runners are willing to whatever the alliance asks, why would the Pacific & Mountain Time Zones schools want that?

The only support is UTSA saying they were willing to go to the West. I'm not saying UTSA is going to the west ... I'm just saying they are willing to. If UTEP decides they really don't want to go to the west then UTSA would be an option.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, but they wouldn't be a better option than any of the teams out west.

Do you really think any of the MWC schools are going to want UTSA over San Jose State?

It depends on the criteria. The basis of the article written last week was that FIU and UNT are in and UTSA is up to third. If that is correct then they would probably go west. I think Utah State is perfered by the MWC, though. UTSA vs San Jose ... I might take UTSA.

• Downvote 1