Troy (12/31/11)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I basically ticked down the list of PGs I could name immediately. K-State's I know by performance but don't remember his name for sure (Spaulding? Something like that).

Chris is something special... But most of those teams have 4 or 5 star upperclassmen at the point.

So, does tournament play bring a return of the Peach Basket? Pretty please?

I basically ticked down the list of PGs I could name immediately. K-State's I know by performance but don't remember his name for sure (Spaulding? Something like that).

Chris is something special... But most of those teams have 4 or 5 star upperclassmen at the point.

I may have been exaggerating a bit but I think Chris is special. I dont think he could start at Kansas or Baylor but I dont think it is that far fetched to think that he could start at OU, OSU, Tech, Iowa St, A&M, UT, or K-St.

So, does tournament play bring a return of the Peach Basket? Pretty please?

Nobody is more frustrated than us, believe me.

The universe keeps conspiring against podcasts. I finally got a week off, and it happened to be CBL's toughest week of the year.

I love Chris. LOVE him. But he wouldn't start over Pierre Jackson, Phil Pressey, Tyshawn Taylor...

The only teams I could see him starting for in that league are Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. OSU, only because Keiton Page spent 3 years as a SG and I think Chris is better than Cezar Guerrero.

EDIT: Forgot Oklahoma, maybe.

I certainly don't want to knock Chris but I think the guy that just left A&M (Jamal Branch) is better. Branch, and many others, are just quicker.

This team (talent wise) could be really scary by Jones' junior and senior year. I continue to think that Mitchell is here 4-years (assuming grades are in order) as he is not NBA ready. A lot of guys can still make money overseas, however.

The dead weight on this team will be moving on the next 2 years. I would like for JJ to be patient with the available scholarships opening up over the next 2 years to play with Tony and Chris. Jordan Williams could be a nice reserve once he learns how to play the game and continue to work on his shot.

The 2013 area class is much better than 2012. I also look for many in the 2011 class that over signed to look to transfer. We have a very serviceable true center in Odoh coming on board as part of a banner 2013-2014 campaign along with others.

Footnote:

Overlander went off for 36 yesterday against a good program in Kenedale

• Upvote 1

Chris Jones is crazy good. I don't ever remeber a guy that was so strong in every single area, he is a threat to get a triple-double every night.

The funny thing is when the scouts came to watch Tony they did not care one bit for C.J. The scout said to more turnovers then assists and that's all I need to know about this kid.

I am thinking in 4 years he will be on someones board as mid second round draft pick. (Or better depending on how he develops)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I also still liked what I saw from Niko... I still like seeing Niko, Mitchel, J. Williams, Walton, and Jones out there on the floor!

This is the game Niko should have seen minutes in. Against bigger competition, he will be used sparingly, I would bet.

This is the game Niko should have seen minutes in. Against bigger competition, he will be used sparingly, I would bet.

Why...? Who is better then him in the post? Mitchel? Mitchel needs to be playing the 3 and creating his own shot. Niko can rebound, box out, defend in the paint, hustle up the court, create his own shot, drive it to the hole, knock down the three, and even more impressively pass better then just about anyone on our team.

Also where are all the Walton haters? He showed up tonight and he still hustles.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Well Skiver, offensively, I don't believe I've seen anyone complain about Niko. If Niko could do everything you just stated, not only would he get more minutes, he'd be the best player on the team. He can NOT defend. He is not a top 3 passer on the team, much less the best of them all. And don't get me wrong, Niko is one of my favorite players. He should get more minutes, but there's no way he should start.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Also where are all the Walton haters? He showed up tonight and he still hustles.

at least he made up for his couple of passing turnovers with a couple steals. seemed like J.W. took Walton starting as a message that he needs to start producing and he did. we saw a typical # of missed 3's from J.W. but if we can get this same result out of both of them each game then lets keep that starting lineup as is. we saw a couple instances of J.W. slashing to the basket this game and I hope that this will be the start of him getting more comfortable doing that at the college level.

i might be the only person left on this board that hasn't stated how much they LOVE chris. as of right now, i can't begin to describe how happy i am to (hopefully) have him another 3 seasons. he's only going to get even better.

• Upvote 1

Cooley, can't put my finger on it but your insight seems so much more valuable this season than ever before. Also, your posts more timely.

That is all.

Agree. Although, he's been warning us that we wouldn't have any consistent outside shooters in this class & so far he seems right. That kind of scares me.

Tons of talent on the floor but we have a glaring weakness with our outside shooting. I forsee lots of 2-3 zone in our future, daring us to beat them from outside.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well Skiver, offensively, I don't believe I've seen anyone complain about Niko. If Niko could do everything you just stated, not only would he get more minutes, he'd be the best player on the team. He can NOT defend. He is not a top 3 passer on the team, much less the best of them all. And don't get me wrong, Niko is one of my favorite players. He should get more minutes, but there's no way he should start.

GMG!

But who should start? Mitchel needs to be at the three and Franklin is not a true post player. That leaves Holmen and Edwards in the post and I choose Niko over either of them all day. (Both Franklin and Mitchel are great in the post but its not their true position, especially for Mitchel. Its time he creates his own shot and stops running back and forth between the elbows looking for the ball) --- side note our offense is still killing me!!!! If we are not scoring on the break we are just sitting around swinging the ball around the arc and becoming stagnate. No screens, no motion, no movement of any kind outside of one post player popping to the elbow for the ball.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Why...? Who is better then him in the post? Mitchel? Mitchel needs to be playing the 3 and creating his own shot. Niko can rebound, box out, defend in the paint, hustle up the court, create his own shot, drive it to the hole, knock down the three, and even more impressively pass better then just about anyone on our team.

Why? Because he gets pushed all over the place in post defense against even marginal big men. It happened against Jackson St. A lot. He is a TERRIBLE POST DEFENDER. no ifs, ands, or buts. He just isn't strong enough to keep an opposing post from establishing his spot. Once a good offensive post player gets the ball in the spot that he wants it, it's game over for that possession. Period. Good post defense does not mean just a hand in the face, it is denying position in the block by being strong enough to hold your position against the offensive post. Niko simply doesn't have this strength. Watch play away from the ball from time to time and you will see what I am talking about.

I like his offensive game, but he is an absolute liability on the other end, which for a team that has problems scoring, is very important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guess what Skiver. Troy was in a zone most of the game. We had a ton of open looks from 3 point range b/c that is what a zone allows and we knocked down 9 three's until they finally had to match up with us man to man.

• Upvote 7

Haven't seen it mentioned , but did Jacob suffer another concussion yesterday ?

The student section reacted to something on an inbound pass... And it looked like he'd been poked in the eye or something like that when they brought him over to the bench.

Anyone on that end of the floor notice what happened to him?