South Tailgate Area

UNTflyer

262471_10100311048613120_23932973_49120792_6298066_n.jpg

So this is just a result of boredom. I have scouted out 4 potential green area tailgate zones for those who will park in Blue or Red.

Zone 1 - Right by the duck pond. Kids will love it, and I think some adults as well. Closest zone to the stadium. Also close to the road where you can ask a buddy to drop off forgotten items.

Downside - ducks may want to wander into your tent area. Few trees.

Zone 2 - Also near the pond, but far enough away to where the ducks probably won't bother you. Also close to the road, but again few trees.

The area between Zones 2 and 3 are certainly usable but kind of bare.

Zone 3 - A very wide open area near an old water hazard. Lots of mature trees. Being close to the cart path may have its advantages. This can accomodate large number of tents.

Downside - looks like a hike to the stadium from here.

Zone 4 - Beautiful and well shaded area. This had a small, dense grove of trees and a couple of rolling knolls. And if you want to tempt the Denia neighbors over for a burger and beer, be sure to let them know we are here! Big disadvantage - this will be a long hike for most parkers.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Zone 3 & 4's disadvantages should be counted as null and void since that hike isn't anywhere near as long as the folks at Fouts or the dorms have to make.

However, you forgot Zone 5. It's the long strip of grass and a few trees that separates the Victory Hall lot with the new parking section just constructed. My goal is to back my tailgate into that at 8 AM Sept 10. and for those with a grill that attaches to your hitch, this is perfect.

However, you forgot Zone 5. It's the long strip of grass and a few trees that separates the Victory Hall lot with the new parking section just constructed. My goal is to back my tailgate into that at 8 AM Sept 10. and for those with a grill that attaches to your hitch, this is perfect.

Have you scouted that out in person? I thought that strip of grass was a relatively steep slope from the Victory lot up to the new lot. I hope I'm remembering wrong because I'm one of those with a hitch grill and that area is appetizing to me primarily because it's a closer walk to the stadium.

Have you scouted that out in person? I thought that strip of grass was a relatively steep slope from the Victory lot up to the new lot. I hope I'm remembering wrong because I'm one of those with a hitch grill and that area is appetizing to me primarily because it's a closer walk to the stadium.

There is some flat ground just off the parking lot that was just constructed, but there are no spaces along that side. If you park in the Victory lot on the North side, the slope is pretty steep, but gets less steep the farther away from the stadium you go.

262471_10100311048613120_23932973_49120792_6298066_n.jpg

So this is just a result of boredom. I have scouted out 4 potential green area tailgate zones for those who will park in Blue or Red.

Zone 1 - Right by the duck pond. Kids will love it, and I think some adults as well. Closest zone to the stadium. Also close to the road where you can ask a buddy to drop off forgotten items.

Downside - ducks may want to wander into your tent area. Few trees.

Zone 2 - Also near the pond, but far enough away to where the ducks probably won't bother you. Also close to the road, but again few trees.

The area between Zones 2 and 3 are certainly usable but kind of bare.

Zone 3 - A very wide open area near an old water hazard. Lots of mature trees. Being close to the cart path may have its advantages. This can accomodate large number of tents.

Downside - looks like a hike to the stadium from here.

Zone 4 - Beautiful and well shaded area. This had a small, dense grove of trees and a couple of rolling knolls. And if you want to tempt the Denia neighbors over for a burger and beer, be sure to let them know we are here! Big disadvantage - this will be a long hike for most parkers.

Good work Flyer thank you for taking the time to do this!

Couple of questions/thoughts. Why did you not include the tailgating section directly behind the student side of the stadium between the roundabout and the alumni center. Wouldnt that be included in the South tailgating options? According to RV that may be the most prime spot to tailgate due to the fact you can actually see in the stadium (and vice versa) and there are a lot of trees to provide shade. It is sloped, and further away from the parking.

I wonder how they will handle grills. Personally I would think they would need to be real careful about having any fire near those trees especially in this heat. Maybe the policy should read grills only allowed on concrete?

Assuming we will have less car truck tailgating I am thinking we will start to see more generators being used? If you want to tailgate under a tree away from your vehicle and want to use a TV and warm your food I would think a small generator would be the way to go.

Could the AD consider helping foster tailgating on "The Hill" by providing access to electricity? Or designating areas where tents could be set up.

Proximity is always a key for tailgating. At Fouts there were areas where people congregated. Also if you could land a spot on the end of the parking spaces you would get a lot of traffic from people heading into the games. I'm interested to see where this will be in the new configuration.

Could the AD consider helping foster tailgating on "The Hill" by providing access to electricity? Or designating areas where tents could be set up.

they would need to add another wind turbine for this...

but seriously, i doubt they could provide electricity... that would be a bad idea

Good work Flyer thank you for taking the time to do this!

Couple of questions/thoughts. Why did you not include the tailgating section directly behind the student side of the stadium between the roundabout and the alumni center. Wouldnt that be included in the South tailgating options? According to RV that may be the most prime spot to tailgate due to the fact you can actually see in the stadium (and vice versa) and there are a lot of trees to provide shade. It is sloped, and further away from the parking.

I wonder how they will handle grills. Personally I would think they would need to be real careful about having any fire near those trees especially in this heat. Maybe the policy should read grills only allowed on concrete?

Assuming we will have less car truck tailgating I am thinking we will start to see more generators being used? If you want to tailgate under a tree away from your vehicle and want to use a TV and warm your food I would think a small generator would be the way to go.

Proximity is always a key for tailgating. At Fouts there were areas where people congregated. Also if you could land a spot on the end of the parking spaces you would get a lot of traffic from people heading into the games. I'm interested to see where this will be in the new configuration.

RV has stated over and over again that the green space will be used for tailgating. One of the main components of tailgating is grilling out. I would be shocked and severly disappointed to see any restrictions on grills.

I would imagine that you will see a Denton F'D presence at tailgating if the conditions remain this dry. Probably a single truck that can respond quickly if needed.

I really think this will (and should) be a non-issue

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

RV has stated over and over again that the green space will be used for tailgating. One of the main components of tailgating is grilling out. I would be shocked and severely disappointed to see any restrictions on grills.

I would imagine that you will see a Denton F'D presence at tailgating if the conditions remain this dry. Probably a single truck that can respond quickly if needed.

I really think this will (and should) be a non-issue

I think you are absolutely correct, having a fire truck available at the site would eliminate a lot of my concerns. Personally I would be more than willing to adjust my tailgating if it was in the best interest of safety. We are going through some of the most severe heat conditions I have ever experienced as a Texan and I lived through the one in 80 so we need to keep that in mind.

I think you are absolutely correct, having a fire truck available at the site would eliminate a lot of my concerns. Personally I would be more than willing to adjust my tailgating if it was in the best interest of safety. We are going through some of the most severe heat conditions I have ever experienced as a Texan and I lived through the one in 80 so we need to keep that in mind.

I made it through that summer, also. I just hope they don't punish everyone to try to avoid the actions of a tiny minority. Not really what the college gameday experience is all about.

I made it through that summer, also. I just hope they don't punish everyone to try to avoid the actions of a tiny minority. Not really what the college gameday experience is all about.

Agree with you but the last thing we need is to compromise safety. At Fouts people would put out coals on the ground...you just can't feasibly do that on "The Hill" etc in these conditions.

In other non-grilling, non-"behind the car" tailgating across the country, people improvise, which is the very premise of tailgating. Rock some great sandwiches, put your generator on a dolly, or better yet, make a go-cart generator that makes sandwiches.

I don't see any reason to bitch that we can't have grills on the hill, or that we won't be able to get our generator there. What's wrong, you can't come up with an alternate plan? For Pete's Sakes man, you received a degree from UNT! Think of something, make it work, and rock it on game day.

• Upvote 6

what about the green area to the right of victory hall in the picture(the green area below the parking lot)? is that area available?

Is there a burn ban in Denton County? Down here in Comal County the drought is so severee they burn bans includes the grills in the parks. I'd imagine if the County Commisioners in Denton have inacted those restrictions, there wont be any grills allowed on The Hill.

Im still working on my menu assuming charcoal is not banned. If it is, i'll switch to plan B... #12 @ new york sub

Anybody here experience two-a-days during that summer? Remember NO-WATER breaks? Ice breaks only! I think they were trying to kill us? Never seen so many people vomit at one time.

Crazy!

Rick

Anybody here experience two-a-days during that summer? Remember NO-WATER breaks? Ice breaks only! I think they were trying to kill us? Never seen so many people vomit at one time.

Crazy!

Rick

Rick, back in "my day" we were not even allowed ice. No water, no ice, no breaks for the summer two-a-days. And, no one fainted or keeled over from heat stroke or heat exhaustion. Although, I think lots felt like doing do...it was "water is for sissies". Two-a-days started at 7AM and at 2PM five days a week. Even before the "official" two-a-days the seniors on the team started "voluntary" workouts three weeks before the start of two-a-days. Not saying it was smart, just saying that it "was". Difference may have been that we were outside in the heat all summer and many homes didn't have A/C or had only one window unit for the whole house. That was our situation for several years, then we got a second window unit...guess where? Mom and Dad's bedroom!

It's better controlled now and coaches are taught what to look for, but each year a tragedy occurs with HS players. Even one is way too many.

Does anyone think tailgating by the tennis courts in the grassy area down Bonnie Brae will be a viable option?

I assumed as much.

Took a drive through the east parking lot a few minutes ago.

First impression is that the parking lot is much bigger than it appears in the photos.

Also, I drove to the north end and looked up to the hill. That is going to be a very steep walk for hauling up tailgating gear. If you park in the east lot and want to tailgate on the hill, I highly recommend using the drop-off point at the Radisson.

I backed up my truck into the grass parking between Zone 2 & 3 and we had plenty of room to set up camp immediately behind the tailgate. Wife and I were totally relaxed and truly enjoyed ourselves. Can't wait for Sept. 24!

skirt steak fajitas with cabana tortillas