SMU fan: Do we have to drop UNT?

JRock

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

TCU doesn't need to play smu as they have UT, TT, & Baylor.

UNT doesn't need to play smu as we have UTSA, UTEP, & Rice.

smu only has Houston. Not playing other Texas teams hurts their attendance, media coverage, and recruiting.

It makes sense for UNT, TCU, and smu to play every year for the above reasons.

However, not playing hurts smu the most. At this point they need us more than we need them.

• Upvote 3

Its typical SMU fandom talk, but they aren't going to get out of the series for at least the first two years, probably the first four years as well.. They'll need the gate that a home game against UNT will provide in 2015, for sure. Beyond that, as I have said before, I doubt that series makes it too far out into the distant future, unless, of course, we go back to sucking.

Over the last 25 years, UNT has wanted to SMU anytime, anywhere. SMU has played us when it was painfully obvious that they needed us on their schedule. Think 1989, 1990, and 1992, when they were a glorified i-aa school and they needed a few home games. We gave them that in a 2 for 1. We didn't play again 2006 and 2007, when SMU was desperately hoping to prop up Phil Bennett and get him a winning record (that was hopeless). We cost them a bowl bid in 2006 and gave them their only win in 2007. They agreed to play this "series" with us when UNT looked like death warmed over and they looked like they were ready to rise up to somehing great under June Jones. BUt Dan McCarney has started to do what Dan McCarney has always done--build up a program thru its strength& conditioning regiment and by developing the lines. June Jones, on the other hand, decided to go after the Arizona State job, only to get shafted in the end, and leaving SMU with a coach that might as well be lame-duck with his players, coaches, and fans. And to top it off, they were stupid enough to extend him!!

SMU money will probably save the day if they need it to, but while these two teams do play, we need to remind everyone in the DFW area that SMU is a dead horse. Their SWC media in DFW can try all they want to convince us all otherwise, but that program has been on life support for the better part of the last 25 years. Even after its last resuscitation made SMU look like they had something going again, the doctor who brought the patient back to life, by all intents and purposes, appears to believe himself that this patient cannot be brought back to anything close to what its SWC alumni believe it can be. And, to be honest with you, he's correct. That ol' grey mare ain't what she used to be--even from two years ago.

I still won't be surprised at all to see SMU give up scholarship football one day in the near future when the AQs eventually breakaway. It will just be too tough for them to swallow what has finally happened to them. No amount of Doak Walker, Don Meredith, Eric Dickerson, or Craig James highlights will ever bring that program back to national prestige and prominence. That barn burned down decades ago--from the cash that was being illegally spent on their payroll.

A glimpse into the future...:)

• Upvote 1

LOL. Glad you like it Harry. I could have done better. That was just about 10 mins. I have some ideas for next year. One per game. :crazysmile:

I think it'd be better to have the SMU player dressed like a hooker in front of the Safeway. But that's just me.

• Upvote 6

I think this is actually a very good and fun idea, but I don't think SMU would have it.

It's not like they would ever get to keep it anyway!

P.S - Just realized this was my 1000th post!

Edited by 3XNTGRAD
  • Upvote 4

It would be grossly short sighted on their part to drop the series. A rising tide lifts all ships. SMU, TCU and NT need to play one another every year. Make metroplex football THE FOOTBALL in the state.

Excellent point. "adman" and one that needs to be stressed over and over again.
  • Upvote 1

I think it'd be better to have the SMU player dressed like a hooker in front of the Safeway. But that's just me.

Have Craig James looking from around the corner at the hooker/player.

Maybe we should buy one of these, have it bronzed, and make a trophy.

http://www.superhappystore.com/mini-shopping-cart.html

Been wanting to do that, just didn't know if they made those things. I'll check with RV and Mac, see if they like the idea.

God I hate those smug collar popping trust fund having douche bags... No really, I can not stand them.

Hate to break the news to you but the majority of those students are not what you perceive them to be. I saw those same people at NT when I was in school as well. Every school have their douches.

• Upvote 6

Hate to break the news to you but the majority of those students are not what you perceive them to be. I saw those same people at NT when I was in school as well. Every school have their douches.

OK .... but have yet to meet SMU alum I like... only Texas univ. I can say that about...