Rescue In Houston

FirefightnRick

If you haven't seen this yet watch the entire video. It defines the importance of truck placement.

Rick

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

They've been building a tremendous amount of these 5-story wood frame apartment buildings here in Houston over the past several years, from just west of downtown all the way out to the Galleria. I've heard some of them have retail - including restaurants - on the first floor. They're deathtraps waiting to happen. One of these days, there will be the "Great Houston Fire".

Notice how many buildings were being built, and they were all consumed within 2 hours.

massive-fire-2-jpg.jpg

http://www.click2houston.com/news/massive-blaze-burning-at-residential-building-under-construction/25156408

Are they building these in DFW as well? I wouldn't be surprised.

• Upvote 1

Stix your absolutely correct. They are death traps. They use fire breaks in the attics but there are no more such things as solid-wood floor beams in apartments any more. The new hollow truss beams allows fire to travel under floors, and they no longer nail the roof trusses together anymore. Instead they use cheap tin-metal gusset plates that seem to give at the slightest exposure to heat, allowing the entire roof structure to collapse.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

--- Agree Rick ... seem so many of these "Holiday Inn Express" type hotels built that way that are almost all wood ... they look like a disaster waiting to happen and a lot of apartments here in Midland are being built that way as well... I hate to see anything over two or maybe three floors built that way... Older apartments/hotels here had concrete floors and cinder-block firewalls ... not these things. These things will not last that long either... and time is their enemy to wiring etc. Can't see stopping any fires once they start... It will take just one stupid stunt by one person to destroy the entire thing and maybe people with it. No chance of survival in case of a tornado or some awful storm.either.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Do they not require water sprinkler systems in these? Obviously this wasn't yet completed but I'm just asking a general question. Would make sense to require these to have sprinkler systems installed given so many stories and such a large structure.

They've been building a tremendous amount of these 5-story wood frame apartment buildings here in Houston over the past several years, from just west of downtown all the way out to the Galleria. I've heard some of them have retail - including restaurants - on the first floor. They're deathtraps waiting to happen. One of these days, there will be the "Great Houston Fire".

Notice how many buildings were being built, and they were all consumed within 2 hours.

massive-fire-2-jpg.jpg

http://www.click2houston.com/news/massive-blaze-burning-at-residential-building-under-construction/25156408

Are they building these in DFW as well? I wouldn't be surprised.

Inflammatory fire talk at its best!!! "Death Traps!" "The Great Houston Fire!"

You may not be aware of this but advances in building materials, universal building codes, sprinkler systems, education of the public etc have almost extinguished the chance of catastrophic fires in urban areas. Sure, whole buildings burn when they are in the middle of construction but once complete you're safer than you have been at anytime in the history of urban America.

In fact, if you look at the nearly 30 million emergency calls America's fire departments responded to in 2011, the last year data is available, you'll see that only about 5% are even fire related. The remaining 95% of calls fire departments respond to are medical emergencies and car accidents.

• Upvote 3

Inflammatory fire talk at its best!!! "Death Traps!" "The Great Houston Fire!"

You may not be aware of this but advances in building materials, universal building codes, sprinkler systems, education of the public etc have almost extinguished the chance of catastrophic fires in urban areas. Sure, whole buildings burn when they are in the middle of construction but once complete you're safer than you have been at anytime in the history of urban America.

In fact, if you look at the nearly 30 million emergency calls America's fire departments responded to in 2011, the last year data is available, you'll see that only about 5% are even fire related. The remaining 95% of calls fire departments respond to are medical emergencies and car accidents.

Time will tell. I'll go with FFR's assessment.

Time will tell. I'll go with FFR's assessment.

I believe it already has.

Honestly, FFR may need to change his name to EMT Rick or Car Wreck Extraction Rick or maybe Hazmat Spill Cleanup Rick since firefighters don't really fight fires any more.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, FFR may need to change his name to EMT Rick or Car Wreck Extraction Rick or maybe Hazmat Spill Cleanup Rick since firefighters don't really fight fires any more.

Well, with with education and the advent of smoke detectors fires have been reduced for sure. EMS is the majority of our calls, and very few of them are true emergencies. Auto-extrication and auto emergencies are probably next and it's been that way for 25 years or more I would guess.

But fires still occur, including a fatality in FW three days ago. There are countless vacant and abandoned structures, too many to tell, and the newer building materials are crap. Two years ago we made a church that had an add-on(new construction but not required for sprinkler by code) that had caught fire over night due to a vehicle parked next to it that had caught on fire and lapped up into the eves. When our first company on got inside to pull ceiling and knock the fire down the ceiling joists gave way and landed on two guys knocking them to the floor. Very little fire, not much heat , not any extensive damage, but because the entire roof and ceiling joists were held together with gusset plates it came down quickly without warning.

If I had a photo of the gusset plates to show I would. Anyone who is interested in safe construction would be appalled that they pass code? At least I am and guys I work with.

Despite the more than 170 structure fires I have been a part of, and everything in between over the past 18 years I still maintain that the most dangerous part of my job is the drive to and from work.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Don't doubt fire fighters. They're heroes. Just ask one.

Yup.

3-26-14 AP.."Boston firefighters killed in brownstone blaze mourned by city"

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/boston_firefighters_killed_in_brownstone_blaze_mourned_by_city.html

BOSTON -- Boston residents mourned the deaths of two firefighters who were killed when a fire driven by strong winds whipped through a brownstone and trapped them in the basement in a neighborhood just blocks from where nine city firefighters died in a 1972 hotel collapse.

Tributes poured in Wednesday for Lt. Edward J. Walsh, a 43-year-old father of three who had almost a decade of experience, and firefighter Michael R. Kennedy, a 33-year-old Marine Corps combat veteran who had been a firefighter for more than six years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Strange comments. I still see them fighting fires with my own eyes, and have known people to die in fires. I'm sure their families would find it reassuring to know that there are no more fires.

• Downvote 2

Well, with with education and the advent of smoke detectors fires have been reduced for sure. EMS is the majority of our calls, and very few of them are true emergencies. Auto-extrication and auto emergencies are probably next and it's been that way for 25 years or more I would guess.

But fires still occur, including a fatality in FW three days ago. There are countless vacant and abandoned structures, too many to tell, and the newer building materials are crap. Two years ago we made a church that had an add-on(new construction but not required for sprinkler by code) that had caught fire over night due to a vehicle parked next to it that had caught on fire and lapped up into the eves. When our first company on got inside to pull ceiling and knock the fire down the ceiling joists gave way and landed on two guys knocking them to the floor. Very little fire, not much heat , not any extensive damage, but because the entire roof and ceiling joists were held together with gusset plates it came down quickly without warning.

If I had a photo of the gusset plates to show I would. Anyone who is interested in safe construction would be appalled that they pass code? At least I am and guys I work with.

Despite the more than 170 structure fires I have been a part of, and everything in between over the past 18 years I still maintain that the most dangerous part of my job is the drive to and from work.

Rick

I was pleased to see several months ago the City of Ft. Worth understanding the shift that has occurred and realizing that firehouses have become more of a Urban Emergency Response System and purchased new trucks, essentially 1-ton pickups, decked out in gear needed for just about everything other than large structure fires.

Saves money, makes sense.

• Upvote 2

---They get a workout in Midland area.... lots of "range fires" often started by welders on well sites (and smokers) .... plus a an extremely nice house burned down a couple of blocks from me a couple years ago. The doctor/owner was out of town. If the wind is really blowing and it often does... good luck putting it out.

---Driving in Midland .. It is crazy now with all these out-of-town people here ... the scary thing is so many pickups with those "cow-catchers" on front. You lose if they run into you. We have had a lot of fatal wreaks here in past 3 years.. Better look in rear mirror if approaching a light changing... they may not be stopping ... either side or worse behind you..

I was pleased to see several months ago the City of Ft. Worth understanding the shift that has occurred and realizing that firehouses have become more of a Urban Emergency Response System and purchased new trucks, essentially 1-ton pickups, decked out in gear needed for just about everything other than large structure fires.

Saves money, makes sense.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. It looks good on paper but is a horrible idea on several fronts for the fire service. There are several other ways to save money that doesn't put employees and citizens at risk. I'm hoping its a passing fad but who knows?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, that's an interesting point. It looks good on paper but is a horrible idea on several fronts for the fire service. There are several other ways to save money that doesn't put employees and citizens at risk. I'm hoping its a passing fad but who knows?

Rick

---Sounds like the "experts" in education... Those that have never been in front of a classroom have all the answers.. (and have no clue what works and what the real problems are) .. Those who have no history in fire dept. think they know best. Politicians are the same.. they fund things that don't need funding (pet projects) and often don't fund things that need funding.

---Sounds like the "experts" in education... Those that have never been in front of a classroom have all the answers.. (and have no clue what works and what the real problems are) .. Those who have no history in fire dept. think they know best. Politicians are the same.. they fund things that don't need funding (pet projects) and often don't fund things that need funding.

I don't think it wise to use the "if you haven't done it, you can't have an opinion" argument technique. Besides it being the worst debate technique imaginable, it would likely result in the shutdown of this board.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 4

Rick

But isn't that the point - that 95% of fire service has nothing to do with fires -it's all the other stuff, hence the smaller, less expensive trucks.

Id be interested in learning about the fronts you suggest that make it a horrible idea.

• Upvote 2

Also, how could you possibly know what politicians are funding and not funding and whether it needs it or not? You are not and never have been a politician.

• Upvote 1

Also, how could you possibly know what politicians are funding and not funding and whether it needs it or not? You are not and never have been a politician.

---I am sure the doll museum that Strom Thurman funded was really needed....I've seen some lists of some very crazy earmarks. ...Read more... Rick Santorium really had some bad ones. ..

---Add to that some defense contracts that built weapons that the military claimed they had no need for and sometimes even obsolete by then ... but it gave workers in a Congressman's district jobs.. [reelection anyone? ] Some of them have been made and immediately mothballed as surplus.... Not only Congressmen can read you know... they have widely reported.

I am sure the doll museum that Strom Thurman funded was really needed....I've seen some lists of some very crazy earmarks. ...Read more... Rick Santorium really had some bad ones. ..

Shocking that you pick 2 republicans as examples. Just shocking.

Your streak of never talking bad about a democrat is firmly intact. Your leaders would be proud.

• Upvote 1

Shocking that you pick 2 republicans as examples. Just shocking.

Your streak of never talking bad about a democrat is firmly intact. Your leaders would be proud.

---Was not intentional... just two I could think of.... on the flip side in the 60's when the Demos were in charge of Texas... UNT buildings were very crowded,, and many needed replacing as the baby boom was hitting... (I was there) they finally did something by calling Texas Western as UTEP and Arlington State as UT-Arlington which put them into the University Land Fund and released a ton of money for UNT then NTSU (and others) to build as much as they did... UNT-1966 and UNT-1971 did not look a lot alike .. new library, coliseum, social science building, foreign language building, etc. ..... ForeverEagle claims one can't see anything that needs funding unless they are politicians ... really .. how about some terrible roads and bridges or schools that are falling apart... but we got doll museums etc. Santorum was known as the king of earmarks (either party) at one time.. widely known..

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-01-10/santorum-earmarks/52479870/1

The earmark issue could hurt Santorum as he tries to build on the momentum of his virtual tie with national front-runner Mitt Romney (from article)

--I am surprised you claim Strom as a Republican.. he was first a Democrat, then a Dixiecrat, then a Democrat , then a Republican... he was whatever was in charge at the time and likely the most racist Congressman of the modern era but had a black daughter that he never publicly admitted to until out of office. He kept getting elected even when in his 90's because of his earmarks (bringing home the bacon or pork ) to South Carolina... that is no secret.