Hotel Convention Center Back On

adman

Interest from a Missouri company has revived a dormant project to bring a hotel and conference center to the University of North Texas campus.

The university received an unsolicited proposal from the O’Reilly Hospitality Management Group and has agreed to begin negotiating a developer’s agreement, UNT spokesman Buddy Price confirmed Friday.

Read More:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/drc_hotel_0113.3d392ae7e.html

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Why not build the hotel where Fouts is and use the hotel land for Apogee parking?

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Is there room for something that large without taking up a significant amount of the tailgating area? Just think of the parking issues if there was a convention the same weekend as a game.

That said, I'm 100% behind this wherever it is.

Edited by NorthTexan95

Given our tailgate atmosphere this season, are we really that worried about space?

The problem is land use around the stadium.

Scattered parking = scattered tailgating = diminished game day experience = low attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem is land use around the stadium.

Scattered parking = scattered tailgating = diminished game day experience = low attendance.

I disagree with this. I've not been to every college stadium but the of the ones I have parking is scattered and most often distant - OU is a pretty good example, yet people find a way and pretty much set up any and everywhere.

I disagree with this. I've not been to every college stadium but the of the ones I have parking is scattered and most often distant - OU is a pretty good example, yet people find a way and pretty much set up any and everywhere.

but we aren't oklahoma, yet...we need all tailgating together to get more out there and to enhance the gameday activities.

Part of me would like to see the hotel built on the hill and then let people tailgate in the parking lots again. The pedestrian bridge is going to connect the tailgating at Fouts like never before, so I don't think the people over there are going to be all that disconnected.

Although, I do also like the idea of turning the hill area into a parking lot and increasing the amount of parking over there. I think the Hotel/convention center is going to be cool enough to where the location won't matter all that much in the long run.

:goodjob: Well I will stay there when I fly in for Homecoming. Especially if it is an Embassy Suites! Free breakfast and free evening booze!!!!

then get this built! i don't want to have to offer my place for you to stay...you wouldn't get breakfast at my place, but plenty of evening booze!!!

Edited by THOR

I even think during football season you would get a fair amount of fans in the DFW area who would be staying in that hotel and just making a weekend out of it! Glad to hear it is back in play!

Maybe the city of Denton can convince OU fans to stay in that hotel... and maybe, just maybe, check out the local college football game played that evening?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I believe the last Master Plan that I saw had two dorms, a parking garage, and an opera house for the whole Fouts/Parking lot area.

This is sort of implied in your statement, but a lot of that area will remain parking...in addition to the parking garage.

A bit off topic but what are the plans for parking around the stadium? I was told there would be improvements as last season was a bit of a haul with young kids.

Mean Green Club and season tickets...the solution to all your gameday woes

• Upvote 2

Mean Green Club and season tickets...the solution to all your gameday woes

AMEN, SIR!

Couldn't have said it more clearly. It's the way it is at every university I have attended. If you want "good game day parking" and benefits that the "regular" and casual fan may not have access to, well, support the program by joining their athletic foundation or other booster organization.

Case in point...my wife and I wanted Army-Navy tickets a couple of years ago. I called the Navy ticket office to see what I could do, and I contacted my son who is a Navy Doc and has many Naval Academy grad friends...BOTH, told me the best way to assure tickets and to assure them on the Navy side is to join Navy's Blue & Gold Club. I did...all of $100 and I had no trouble getting tickets. While at the game I heard several folks complaining about how tough it was to get tickets that year...Hmmmmmm. Even with the lowest Blue-Gold Club donation we got very nice seats right in the Navy section. Great time...well worth the extra $100 spent.

As one staffer once told me, Hey, no problem, it's always nice to be able to help someone who helps us! Amazing how that works sometimes, isn't it? Now, do I get each and every little "want or need" tended to exactly when, and how I would like. Heck, no....sometimes the response can be awhile in coming and it is at times not what I would like. But, I get it.

• Upvote 1

A bit off topic but what are the plans for parking around the stadium? I was told there would be improvements as last season was a bit of a haul with young kids.

I'm not sure when the plans are to get the ball rolling on all of this. I imagine it will be after they build the track facility on the South Side of the Athletics Complex. It's my understanding that Fouts is basically only open to serve as a track facility.