UNT hires former Marquette Asst. Scott Monarch

Andrew

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

He can recruit Texas and coach up-tempo offense. He had some violations in the past at Marquette--oh well. That comes with the territory if you're going to compete at a big-time hoops program. The mindset on this board has changed from disappointed about last season to hoping UNT hoops continues to fail until Benford is gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

He can recruit Texas and coach up-tempo offense. He had some violations in the past at Marquette--oh well. That comes with the territory if you're going to compete at a big-time hoops program. The mindset on this board has changed from disappointed about last season to hoping UNT hoops continues to fail until Benford is gone.

12-20 and being bounced in the first round of a pretty weak mid major conference tournament is big time hoops?
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Nothing would make me happier than Bemford magically becoming a good head coach and UNT winning 20 games next year.

Do I believe that is a possibility? Unfortunately, no.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

62 days.

Someone else gave him the second chance he wanted, and he bailed on them after 62 days to come here.

Forget the fact that he lied to Marquette and he lied to NCAA investigators. Put aside the any sort of discussion of whether he's a great coach, or just another signpost on the wretched path we've been walking since hiring Benford.

According to your own criteria, this guy has "character issues".

Don't scold people who think we may have made a terrible decision. A year ago, you were lecturing us all about how exactly what Monarch did to come here is, in your book, cause for immediate termination.

Hey you can count days! Excellent.....thanks for quoting my older post...I stand 100% behind what I said in relation to June Jones and, and would if I were the SMU AD have told June Jones to "hit the streets". Let's see...did Monarch leave UNT for a "better" gig only to be denied that gig and then return to UNT? No? Well...that's what June Jones did...so not quite the same thing. But, since you want to play the "I am so much holier than thou" thing...like you often want to tend to do fearing no recourse from those whom you feel the need to criticize...PLEASE show me where I said the guy did not have character issues? I do feel he should have honored the contract he signed and should have passed on coming to UNT. And, given the other "issues" I would not have hired him for the UNT position. But, as was with the June Jones situation, I was not doing the hiring, nor was I asked for my opinion on the hire. So there Mr. Smarty-pants....I do, however, stand by the "some amazing comments" part as well...if it bothers you...gee, maybe you read into it more than was intended...but, you know...Only at North Texas!

Seems to me, the only person doing the scolding here in none other than our esteemed moderator. And, seem to me that you are scolding me.

You don't agree that some of the comments were/are pretty darn amazing considering the guy is a brand new coach for a UNT program. Oh, that's right...at UNT the tradition is that it seems to be sport for some to trash our own...I keep forgetting that it is "Only at North Texas".

Since the guy is now part of the UNT staff, I see no reason to publicly criticize him. You know...only at North Texas where the so-called fans like to figuratively... eat their own! Yummy, huh?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Hey you can count days! Excellent.....thanks for quoting my older post...I stand 100% behind what I said in relation to June Jones and, and would if I were the SMU AD have told June Jones to "hit the streets". Let's see...did Monarch leave UNT for a "better" gig only to be denied that gig and then return to UNT? No? Well...that's what June Jones did...so not quite the same thing. But, since you want to play the "I am so much holier than thou" thing...like you often want to tend to do fearing no recourse from those whom you feel the need to criticize...PLEASE show me where I said the guy did not have character issues? I do feel he should have honored the contract he signed and should have passed on coming to UNT. And, given the other "issues" I would not have hired him for the UNT position. But, as was with the June Jones situation, I was not doing the hiring, nor was I asked for my opinion on the hire. So there Mr. Smarty-pants....I do, however, stand by the "some amazing comments" part as well...if it bothers you...gee, maybe you read into it more than was intended...but, you know...Only at North Texas!

Seems to me, the only person doing the scolding here in none other than our esteemed moderator. And, seem to me that you are scolding me.

You don't agree that some of the comments were/are pretty darn amazing considering the guy is a brand new coach for a UNT program. Oh, that's right...at UNT the tradition is that it seems to be sport for some to trash our own...I keep forgetting that it is "Only at North Texas".

Since the guy is now part of the UNT staff, I see no reason to publicly criticize him. You know...only at North Texas where the so-called fans like to figuratively... eat their own! Yummy, huh?

Kram, you really should venture over to a UT, OU, LSU or other 'big time' team's board.

The criticisms of anyone related to UNT athletics, be it the AD, coaching staff, or student athletes on this board is relatively tame compared to some of these 'big time' team fans'. So, no, NOT "only at North Texas", but "at North Texas also!"

He's certainly not the only one questioning this hire!

Not saying you don't want to win just like everyone else here... but sometimes it come across that you would rather support people over your Alma Mater simply because they are employed by UNT. Nevermind that these people are only partially loyal to UNT.

I mean, heck Johnny Jones was incredibly loyal to UNT. He left for a school that he is more loyal to. Coach Hedlund has been also. I bet he would leave UNT in an instant if the Longhorns came calling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Kram, you really should venture over to a UT, OU, LSU or other 'big time' team's board.

The criticisms of anyone related to UNT athletics, be it the AD, coaching staff, or student athletes on this board is relatively tame compared to some of these 'big time' team fans'. So, no, NOT "only at North Texas", but "at North Texas also!"

He's certainly not the only one questioning this hire!

Not saying you don't want to win just like everyone else here... but sometimes it come across that you would rather support people over your Alma Mater simply because they are employed by UNT. Never mind that these people are only partially loyal to UNT.

I mean, heck Johnny Jones was incredibly loyal to UNT. He left for a school that he is more loyal to. Coach Hedlund has been also. I bet he would leave UNT in an instant if the Longhorns came calling.

What are you the Masked Crusader or something these days? You always seem to want to come on and "talk" for someone else...coming to the "defense" of one who certainly does not need any help. Unless, of course, it was something I posted. Ha! :judge:

Do you really want to get into the "support for North Texas" thing? I think what I do and the amount I give along with the time I give can be stacked up pretty well against most...if, of course, one includes what I do also for UNT in a non-athletic capacity as well. So, let's not try the "support for North Texas thing", OK? I 100% support the PEOPLE as long as they are with my Alma Mater...very much unlike many who seem to delight in trying to make the people of UNT (who are by the way UNT) look as bad as possible.

You do realize that I am a grad of two other universities and attended a third "other" university...so, I am pretty "up" on other university message boards. The boards of universities I care about that is...I could not care less about what goes on within or on the boards of schools I have ZERO connection with, and that certainly in no way justifies the venom spewed on here by some of our so-called fans against coaches and administrators of UNT. If I were in a position to "hire and fire" at UNT, well, I could do something...I am not...and the last I heard neither were our self-styled experts on all things related to hiring and firing at UNT.

Also...do you have any idea why I use the "only at North Texas" thing? You read this board and perhaps another...you should "get it"...but after this post, I am thinking you do not "get it" at all, Mr. Masked Crusader, Sir! :zoro:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

What are you the Masked Crusader or something these days? You always seem to want to come on and "talk" for someone else...coming to the "defense" of one who certainly does not need any help. Unless, of course, it was something I posted. Ha! :judge:

Do you really want to get into the "support for North Texas" thing? I think what I do and the amount I give along with the time I give can be stacked up pretty well against most...if, of course, one includes what I do also for UNT in a non-athletic capacity as well. So, let's not try the "support for North Texas thing", OK? I 100% support the PEOPLE as long as they are with my Alma Mater...very much unlike many who seem to delight in trying to make the people of UNT (who are by the way UNT) look as bad as possible.

You do realize that I am a grad of two other universities and attended a third "other" university...so, I am pretty "up" on other university message boards. The boards of universities I care about that is...I could not care less about what goes on within or on the boards of schools I have ZERO connection with, and that certainly in no way justifies the venom spewed on here by some of our so-called fans against coaches and administrators of UNT. If I were in a position to "hire and fire" at UNT, well, I could do something...I am not...and the last I heard neither were our self-styled experts on all things related to hiring and firing at UNT.

Also...do you have any idea why I use the "only at North Texas" thing? You read this board and perhaps another...you should "get it"...but after this post, I am thinking you do not "get it" at all, Mr. Masked Crusader, Sir! :zoro:

It's hard to have a discussion with you on a message board Kram. You and I know each other (albeit, not well). I have a lot of respect for you. I have no ill-will towards you, or anyone else on this board. I wish you wouldn't take things so personally. I certainly don't need to come to anyone's defense. I'm just showing you that he's not on his own.

The bolded portion above is the only point above I'm trying to point out. I think everyone on here knows how much time/effort you give to the university, and I believe you're a club level seat holder right? So your financial contributions also dwarf most. No one is questioning your support of the university or saying they are better fans than you.

HOWEVER, I think people who are criticizing some of the University's employees (be them AD-related or coach-staff-related) only come because the person criticizing loves the University MORE than the people employed by the University and feel that the person they're criticizing is putting their beloved university in jeopardy, or otherwise hurting the University's image. At least, that's how I feel.

And I believe you're throwing the "only at North Texas" thing around as a quote of what UNT90 often says as a tagline of sorts. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, that's fine, but I was simply trying to point out that it doesn't really apply in this case. There are criticisms of every program in America from concerned alumni. Admittedly, that tagline probably doesn't apply to 90's posts either. (I'm looking at Rice, who has happily gone from SWC membership to one of the C-USA 'remainders'. It does not appear they care much about athletics.)

Cheers sir. Maybe we can chat more at one of the fb games or any of the myriad of events you put on or support for our University.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

62 days.

Someone else gave him the second chance he wanted, and he bailed on them after 62 days to come here.

Forget the fact that he lied to Marquette and he lied to NCAA investigators. Put aside the any sort of discussion of whether he's a great coach, or just another signpost on the wretched path we've been walking since hiring Benford.

According to your own criteria, this guy has "character issues".

Don't scold people who think we may have made a terrible decision. A year ago, you were lecturing us all about how exactly what Monarch did to come here is, in your book, cause for immediate termination.

Ha Ha Ha.... Now that's some Two-Faced comedy right there!

Good find Tasty

Rock

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Do you really want to get into the "support for North Texas" thing? I think what I do and the amount I give along with the time I give can be stacked up pretty well against most...if, of course, one includes what I do also for UNT in a non-athletic capacity as well. So, let's not try the "support for North Texas thing", OK?"

Careful. UNTLifer will be along to accuse you of "dislocating your shoulder patting yourself on the back".

• Upvote 2

If you can't coach it doesn't matter if he gets all 5 start kids in here. I think last year's talent proved that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"Do you really want to get into the "support for North Texas" thing? I think what I do and the amount I give along with the time I give can be stacked up pretty well against most...if, of course, one includes what I do also for UNT in a non-athletic capacity as well. So, let's not try the "support for North Texas thing", OK?"

Careful. UNTLifer will be along to accuse you of "dislocating your shoulder patting yourself on the back".

Good job Officer, good job. Of course, KRAM doesn't bitch and moan when they don't use his ideas he presents to them and then bitch and moan when they do a couple of years down the road.

Edited by UNTLifer

I'm just wondering a few things after watching the intro, and Vito's interview.

1) Is Tony excited to have him here?

2) Are we lucky to have him here?

3) Is he excited to be here?

I couldn't tell from any of the videos I watched.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking Kram's point was simply that despite the guy's past and whether we like the hire, he works at UNT now so we might as well root for him rather than rehash every negative thought about the guy.

I guess I missed the point, given the responses.

That's fine. I was trying to go along with this as well (see my first post in this thread), but then it kinda turned into an argument of: If you say anything negative about the guy, you're not a good fan of North Texas, and you're doing more harm than good. To which it needs to be said: I love North Texas more than North Texas' employees. The guy's history is concerning. None of us here want a black eye on our school. Those fears are just being shared.

That being said, he's been on the job for just under a week now and he's been great. Keep it up coach Monarch. We hope you have truly learned from your past mistakes because our University is one that takes pride in doing things the right way.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking Kram's point was simply that despite the guy's past and whether we like the hire, he works at UNT now so we might as well root for him rather than rehash every negative thought about the guy.

I guess I missed the point, given the responses.

No YOU did not miss the point. Thanks for reading AND comprehending.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3