The CougarKing Comes to GMG Thread (With Guest Star GreenMeaner)

Cougar King

photo-41190.jpg?_r=1349004358

Well, as you guys know we blew out Rice and took our foot off the gas en-route to an easy victory. You guys edged out Florida Atlantic and went home with a win. Now that we both have taken care of some owls, its time for our game.

I have ties to both schools, but I'm taking my Coogs in this one, here's why. First of all, The Rob is one of the toughest stadiums to play in. (We only lost about 5 games there in the last 5-6 years), we wre 0-3 before Saturday and still brought 30k+ to Reliant. It's a given that the Rob will be sold-out or near sold-out by Friday. UNT has historically had trouble playing in a hostile environment and the red and the anarchic feel the Rob has, makes most teams uncomfortable. Second, we have one of the best passing attacks in the country, Piland has almost thrown for 2,000 yards this season, we have a young but talented corps of receivers in Spencer, McDuffie, Rodriguez, our 5-star recruit Greenberry and a few others. We have arguably the best running back in C-USA in Simms. Our defense has been no slouch lately either. Our safeties WILL blitz and knock Thompson's lights out if he doesn't get rid of the ball.

Cougars- 45

Mean Green- 17

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

King may be everything you say, but the insults have been about UH not King. And it's not like UNT fans have been guiltless on this thread. King makes a prediction about the game that obviously UNT fans won't like because it doesn't have UNT winning. He says nothing negative about UNT other than predicting a 45-17 victory.

2nd post we get "Cougar High."

4th post "Cougar High."

There were posts back in forth. Some good. Some bad.

Then the real insults started with Carribean calling Robertson a hole worth about as much money as Apogee's bathrooms with sub 30k crowds, something that has happened once since 2010.

King did respond pretty negatively to that with some UNT insults.

Then CurveIT escalates with insults that teams with directions are better than teams with cities. Silly but go for it. And says that UH can't draw when we're not undefeated (despite UH selling out 2010 in a losing season).

Then it really goes down hill. Eastwood (UNT alum who attends UH) hopes no one gets mugged because he said it has happened 3 times on campus in the 4 weeks he's been there. Would like some proof. Looking at UH's crime log for all of 2012 and UNT's crime log for the last 60 days, and they look real similar to me. I see an aggravated assaut on UNT's campus 8/31 with a warning on UNT's website. UH had an agg assault in February. A mugging would probably be listed as an agg assault. Other assaults, UH has 3 in the last 60 days. UNT has 7. Don't see a lot of facts here saying how dangerous UH is. And of course he uses Cougar High. Personally, if I was getting a graduate degree from UH, I wouldn't call it Cougar High. Just like if I was a UNT student, I would denigrate that school.

Then King pulls out the dreaded NTSU insult in response to Cougar High comments. I know to UNT fans that's a bigger insult than Cougar High for some reason. NTSU is such a horrible insult that Caribbean pulls out SWTSU for TX ST. Wow! Really put them in their place. If I didn't want my school to be called by it's old name, I wouldn't call other schools by their old name.

Eastwood pulls out Cougar High and says his middle school would beat UH (I guess Kansas would lose to his elementary school).

Then Caribbean pulls out an incorrect murder story from 3 years ago and talks about how Denton has less murders than Houston. Always love pissing matches about towns and cities. Weakest message board smack category of all.

And Eastwood again says 3 mugging on campus.

Then you say I need to ease up because of King not using facts, meanwhile you said Keenan (sic) played 8 years (wrong) and that our stadium name is appropriate because of the crime. You call the nBE a joke even though there are 2 current top 25 teams. If the nBE is a joke, what is the new CUSA? No ranked teams (although I think La Tech should be there) with schools that are currently FCS and schools that don't even field a team joining.

King may be every name that you call him, but I think Caribbean started this, Eastwood escalated, and you piled on. Add in a ton of Cougar Highs all over the place even before insults about UNT started coming.

I'm just glad I'm on this board all year so I know 99% of UNT fans aren't like some of the posters on this thread with the insults. I'm also glad that there are a ton of good UNT fan posts on this thread. Kind of like diamonds in poo poo.

Give me a break. He tells us we can't handle the abuse we will take from their fans at "The Rob" and that it is one of the most hostile places to play. Never heard that before. Then he decides to bring up our game against Rice a couple of years ago under a different coach with players that aren't even here anymore. Talks about UH heading off to the Big East, that's a joke now, and how we will be nothing but a directional school, poor support, calls us NTSU, brings up UH's success under a previous coach, QB, stable of receivers, etc.... That moron deserves everything he gets after the crap he was spewing. Talks about 4 and 5 star recruits coming to UH, like they are just knocking down the doors in the Ward, while that is foreign to North Texas and then he throws out this B.S.

We are heading to an AQ conference, you guys are just another directional school. We ARE NOT brothers in arms, you ARE NOT our equals. You guys couldn't get into the SWC back in the day. You guys are overshadowed and outrecruited by SMU of all schools.

WE put players in the NFL, you guys generally don't. We have produced Heisman candidates. You're lucky to have one of your players on the All-SunBelt team. We have T-Shirt fans in our city, our city hall was decorated in Cougar Red. Denton supports a women's college more than UNT. You don't want to play this game with me.

Sorry if my response to his post hurt your feelings, but he is full of you know what. On top of that, he claims he might walk-on. Big deal, everyone of us with eligibility left could walk on. He's an idiot and proves it with every post. UH plays in crap hole of a stadium, is running off with SMU to a failure of a AQ conference and won't have any regional teams, outside of the Ponies, to draw any interest.

• Upvote 1

Dude, I'm agreeing with you. I completely agree that the 12-10 thing between those two conferences is pretty dumb, but in my opinion not as glaringly heinous as the geographic mis-association of the nBE.

Geographic problems are not unprecedented.

In the NBA, OKC is in the northwest

In the NFL, I wouldn't say Indy is in the South.

Also in the NFL, in our own backyard, since when is Dallas located in the East, not in the South or West?

NHL has us in the West. NFL has us in the East. Dallas is so big, we're on both sides of the country.

• Upvote 1

Geographic problems are not unprecedented.

In the NBA, OKC is in the northwest

In the NFL, I wouldn't say Indy is in the South.

Also in the NFL, in our own backyard, since when is Dallas located in the East, not in the South or West?

NHL has us in the West. NFL has us in the East. Dallas is so big, we're on both sides of the country.

Ok, so we see how SMU got confused regarding Big East, but what is Houston's excuse?

• Upvote 1

Ok, so we see how SMU got confused regarding Big East, but what is Houston's excuse?

I said leagues in general. Indy and OKC were also given as examples as leagues using poor geography. I don't see anyone saying the NBA and NHL or NFL are the dumbest leagues ever because of poor geography, dumber than not being able to count to 10.

• Upvote 1

You are the team that lose to SWTXSU aren't you? I will come on our fans site and do what I normally do if we lose, not be some moron for all to see. I didn't make a prediction but I will now: 3 stabbing deaths within two blocks of the stadium, 7 gun related deaths within two blocks of the stadium, and 3 gang rapes. Happy?

Too soon?

:sword: :sword: :sword:

• Upvote 1

There is nothing hostile about Houston's stadium. The only thing that was dangerous about the place was the host team that took the field, and that's obviously behind them now.

As long as Houston is an BCS almost-buster, they will forever live in the shadow of Utah, Boise State, and TCU. A nice looking (and fun for them) 10 year run, but no better nor longer lasting than Fresno State's run in the 1990s.

I think this week's game is a toss up, but consider it a meeting between one program getting their act together and another that is losing it.

310604_405044966215902_1266873897_n.jpg

• Upvote 4

I've been to a lot of cusa road games and watched on tv. ECU and UTEP can be tough places and UCF is okay but everybody else doesn't come even close to the Rob.

I thought he was asking how you would know what half a dose of common sense feels like. :whip:

I obviously should have been more clear. It's one of the most hostile places in C-Usa. Anybody with half a dose of common sense would have known I meant that.

You running for office? You flip flop more than a politician. You claimed that "The Rob" was more hostile than LSU's Death Valley. You can't get your facts straight claiming 30,000 UH fans at Reliant on Saturday yet the official attendance was 32,718. 7,000,000+ people in Houston and you get less than 1%. Not much to brag on there.

You also claim UH has been bagging 4 and 5 star recruits for years. According to Rivals, you have 0 this year, 1 four star in the 2012 class, 0 in 2011, 2 in 2010, 1 in 2009, 0 from 2003 to 2008 and 1 in 2002. All of these listed, 5 since 2002, are 4 stars and zero 5 stars. One of those 4 star recruits, Broadway, can't beat out Piland who you all love to criticize.

Don't come on our fansite claiming you are reporting facts, when you aren't, and get upset when we call you out. You asked us to be respectful regarding our posts. Practice what you preach.

Oh, and regarding Tier One status, UH was awarded this status by the Carnegie Foundation in 2011. It is competing with North Texas and 5 other universities for this status within the National Research University Fund. Stating that UH has been a Tier One institution for years is a stretch of the facts.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

Yet you are flapping your gums after losing to a TERRIBLE Texas St. team.

Losing to our future conference mate La Tech (while giving up 56 points).

Losing to UCLA (unable to score until they put in their 2nd and 3rd team in the 4th)

And FINALLY beating a terrible Rice team.

Like I said, empty bravado.

But Case Keenum, Kevin Sumlin and stuff...

Green Miner: You are wrong about the Rob not being hostile. It is very dangerous to go to the Rob. In fact it is very dangerous to go on to the UH campus, period. I'm mean the campus is in "da tre."

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Pretty pathetic trash talk displayed in this thread. As others have said, this is a tough one to predict as UH has been ridiculously inconsistent this year while we possess a gawd awful red zone offense and just put up <60 yards rushing on FAU.

I think UH wins this game unless we've got Freddie Warner at near 100% at CB. God bless Zach Whitfield. He's played his guts out this year but after Troy laid down the blueprint, I think UH and ULL both attack that kid deep 1 on 1 early and often. FAU didn't have the QB talent or the oline protection to get off the long ball against us, but UH and ULL should be able to slow down our pass rush/blitz enough to get enough of these off that they hit on a few.

We need to find a way to score in the high 20s to mid 30s to beat these guys. That, and we can't have any special teams breakdowns. I just don't see our offense being able to put up more points this year than we did against them last year when we had Lance. Maybe the defense can start pitching in points like those defenses from Booger's days?

• Upvote 1

Cougar King...Rice is a program that should be D1-AA....there are some high school teams that could give Rice a tough game if not beat them. If Bailiff lasts the rest of the season, it will surprise everyone. Don't hang your hat on beating Rice Owls. UH should be more concerned about loosing to Tx St and La Tech than excited about beating Rice.

UNT - 31

HOUSTON - 14

Rice beat north Texas in 2008 and 2010 and Rice has only gone to half the bowl games in the last decade (two), but they still have the exact same amount of wins....one

so careful who you say belongs in D1-AA unless you like being beat twice by, and having the same number of bowl wins as a "D1-AA" team

• Upvote 1

You running for office? You flip flop more than a politician. You claimed that "The Rob" was more hostile than LSU's Death Valley. You can't get your facts straight claiming 30,000 UH fans at Reliant on Saturday yet the official attendance was 32,718. 7,000,000+ people in Houston and you get less than 1%. Not much to brag on there.

You also claim UH has been bagging 4 and 5 star recruits for years. According to Rivals, you have 0 this year, 1 four star in the 2012 class, 0 in 2011, 2 in 2010, 1 in 2009, 0 from 2003 to 2008 and 1 in 2002. All of these listed, 5 since 2002, are 4 stars and zero 5 stars. One of those 4 star recruits, Broadway, can't beat out Piland who you all love to criticize.

Don't come on our fansite claiming you are reporting facts, when you aren't, and get upset when we call you out. You asked us to be respectful regarding our posts. Practice what you preach.

Oh, and regarding Tier One status, UH was awarded this status by the Carnegie Foundation in 2011. It is competing with North Texas and 5 other universities for this status within the National Research University Fund. Stating that UH has been a Tier One institution is a stretch of the facts.

The Carnegie Foundation does not use the term tier one nor do they rank universities they place various aspects of universities into different classifications that are not to be used to imply equality of the overall university

there are 8 total universities looking for NRUF funding not 7 and UH and Texas Tech have been awarded that funding

US News is the only organization that uses "tier one" and that ranks universities and as of this year UH is in the US News tier one universities with a numerical ranking

• Upvote 1

The Carnegie Foundation does not use the term tier one nor do they rank universities they place various aspects of universities into different classifications that are not to be used to imply equality of the overall university

there are 8 total universities looking for NRUF funding not 7 and UH and Texas Tech have been awarded that funding

US News is the only organization that uses "tier one" and that ranks universities and as of this year UH is in the US News tier one universities with a numerical ranking

If we're talking about the same thing here, North Texas met every criteria which Texas Tech and UH met except the all important endowment coffers. I think it has to be a minimum of $400 million, so I guess it will be awhile for North Texas.

GMG!

• Upvote 1